Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 02:13 AM   #1

Main awning

Awning is electric, it extended without anyone touching any controls. The awning will no retract now. It keeps blowing fuses.
Mlingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:28 AM   #2

Hello ...Sorry about your issues.....I have ran into this once before (I was an RV tech)....in that case one of the wires on the rocker switch had come loose (power line) and was resting on another terminal on the back side of the rocker switch..

Best way is to carefully pull the switch out and checkoff all the wires are connected....not sure which unit you have....so I have no idea how difficult it is to check out the switch..

My unit has some other display panels on the side wall beside the control panel.....I have been able to remove one of these panels and using a flash light got a look behind the rocker switches (rocker switch for awning control)..

Please leave the fuse OUT till you have done the inspection....so not to have this power line touching short out on something else..(if indeed this is the problem)

Good luck...get back to us

Wes 2015 38RL. 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:48 AM   #3

Pulled out switch box control panel, all wiring was connected. This is a 2014 36fl. Thanks for your reply. While traveling we had a blowout, which jerked copper ground wire out about 2ft. ( think possibly from fuse/breaker box, possibly shorted out something in breaker box). Do you have any more suggestions.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:27 AM   #4

Not sure where to look....the rocker switch does a few things....main thing it does is as a power interrupter(when its in its resting position does not let power thru to the awning....Its a DC motor in the awning...so the switch runs power in two directions....to extend or to retract the awning....usually that is the problem spot
(besides the motor failing in the awning itself)
However the awning motor is grounded....a short where power runs down a ground wire may back feed the awning motor( things pulled and shorted in DC fuse box / panel... Trouble shooting this may take some tools ( a multi meter) and some patience....If everything was fine....then you had a blow out with visible damage....I would start there....
Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:35 AM   #5

Thanks Wes, , will pull breaker box in the morning. Appreciate your help.