Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #1

Heat ducts

I figured I’d share this with everyone in case you run across the same situation. Had very limited heat to rear registers and nothing to bedroom or bathroom. I first thought it may be batteries running low. Upon further review I found the duct work under the floor had became separated. I’m not sure what the person was thinking who installed the ducting but aluminum tape will not last to hold the duct work. Not a single screw was used. On the bright side the underneath storage was toasty warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5D8EAF7E-6F43-4EDC-81E9-CEB373F08567.jpg (185.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 634C3DDA-E657-4545-AFC1-3C26C01C4557.jpg (189.7 KB, 22 views)
Jeffmurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #2

I had the exact thing happen on my coach. In addition to the tape I had a couple of screws but they had pulled out of the cheap cardboard ducting. Because my duct ran between two floor joists I went and bought some aluminum strap and after getting the duct work all put back together I spanned the duct/plenum joint with two pieces of aluminum strap screwed into the floor joists. There's no way it can pull out again. I'm seriously disappointed Redwood uses this crap and not metal ducting like DRV uses.
PunksRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #3

Good idea on the straps. Can’t beleive they didn’t use screws or something besides tape.
Jeffmurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmurkin View Post
Good idea on the straps. Can’t beleive they didn’t use screws or something besides tape.
I know but the screws wont hold long either. At lease mine didn't. The ducting material just won't allow a strong bite with a screw. I think they build these things just to test our creative ingenuity after they have our money! Lol!
PunksRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote