Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
And why can't we order replacement parts directly from Redwood. We found during our first extended trip this winter that a wooden slat was missing from the "European" spring support under the mattress. I contacted Redwood and was told all parts had to be ordered thru a dealer. My dealer (who is 574 miles from my home) emailed Redwood a month ago to get the part and we are still waiting to hear something.

Years ago we had a Jayco and they provided great after sale service direct from the factory. Drop shipped me parts on the road when things failed. I felt like they cared about my business.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
This is pretty basic but we should receive a Redwood operating and maintenance manual that is specific to the fifth wheel product we bought. What I received was so basic and generic that I found it mostly useless. And every coach that leaves the factory should have every manual included for each component and accessory. I had at least half of the accessory manuals missing in action as I know many others have also experienced.
I'd certainly like to second THAT idea... Those generic manuals are just a waste of everyone's time, esp. the people who write them.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #63
Site Team

I've called the service center, they have cooperated with me in getting parts. I realize not everybody knows a "glueten valve" from a "fender washer" but some of us do and it's sure nice to be able to fix thing ourselves.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #64

One of the thing that Redwood should do is monitor the forums like they said they would last year. Fix the normal things that people that buy there first Redwoods pick up on doing their PDI’s. I know the first thing that the Redwood & dealers says is this is a first time we have heard or seen of this. Untrue. Dealers have to send in warranty claims of things they had to fix on every sold coach by S/N’s. For instant, 6 months before we ordered our new 36FL Redwood in 2012 I was reading on the forums where almost everyone that bought a Redwood that their shower leaked, they were having trouble with DVD/Sound system, speaker wiring not hooked up to the right speakers, not being able to watch TV in the bed room because it was flat on the wall and not angled towards the bed. This didnt matter to me because I knew I could fix this IF our new coach were to have the same troubles but didn’t think it would because it would have been almost 8 months since I read about these small problems and figured after a few warranty claims that Redwood would pick up on it and correct it. Easy fixes at the factory. Costly to Redwood as a warranty claim and these small thing make it hard on the dealers. When we did our PDI sure enough ours too leaked because it was not sealed on the bottom, I had to shim the TV mount and then finally change the mount to a adjustable TV mount, DVD would not play a full DVD. Point is I find it hard to believe that with all the dealer warranty claims coming in on new Redwood’s for the little simple thing's that someone from the factory isn’t screening claims making sure the little thing's don’t get forgotten or are taken care of as a change as to how the coach is built saving Redwood money in the long run. Redwood took care of everything under warranty that wasn’t right. And I fixed the other things instead of taken it to a dealer to set for weeks to get warranties authorized and fixed. It’s cheaper to fix it on the line then at the dealership.
Listen to your BUYER’S about what they would like to do to improve on there EXISTING models. Not the few people that kick tires and say that if you did this and that I might buy one. Don’t change floor plans every year. Perfect what you have now You have a good line up. The Rally is a perfect place to listen to your faithful buyers. We know these coaches probably better then the engineers because some of us actually do what you advertise them as being. We living in them full time. And most of us that do are pretty handy at fixing the little things. So make it easier for us to get the parts we need to fix warranty problems and the little things. Allow us to buy upgrades from the factory directly. I would love to buy the newer chairs from the 2013/2014 36FL and pick them up at the factory while at the rally not a dealer I know nothing about or I’m 2000 miles away from my selling dealer.
The Rally is a perfect place to talk with a few of us about thoughts and ideas. Don’t miss a chance a 3rd time. And if you do let the person listening stay employed so they can take this information and make a difference for the next buyer of what most of us think is a Great Coach.
Sorry about the rambling.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #65

As far as parts go, our dealer no longer sells Redwoods. Nearest dealer now is in PA. We feel as if we were on an island. I hope that our rolling teck can get what we need because next month is our second year inspection. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Now to the manual. I've spent a majority of my life illustrating and writing manuals for everything you can imagine and our Redwood manual to me is poor, overly generic and somewhat out of date. BUT and I say BUT, they could provide an online PDF book for each model. They have all the resources before they build, so make it available to the new owners. They don't have to be pretty, sort of a file draw system for each area in our coaches.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #66

Just got back on the forum after about 5 weeks offline, so Jeff; welcome, it is great to have a Redwood rep actively monitoring and participating in the forum.

This thread is a great idea and can easily be broken down to suggestions for additional standard features on all coaches or options, which are selectable. For the FL models I suggest the additional valve to equalise both grey tanks should be standard. I think the power reel is also a great idea.

For options I like the additional built in surge guard, alternative suspension supplier, bigger tires, sat system, to name a few.

Looking forward to some great discussion at the rally.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #67

Things to improve on. How about deeper pull handle boxes so we could leave the door closed when the handles are open. Better cables from the dump valves to the box. So over time they don’t get hard to push and get stuck, maybe even a way to lube them to help with this.
Better access to the water filter so we can get to the filter to change it with out having to empty out everything in the basement to get to it. A water filter with a bypass on it so you don’t have to shut off water to the coach and drain water lines just to change you water filter. Maybe a manifold system with shutoff valves on each run, and easy access to 12V water pump. Remember easy access equals better maintenance and lower warranty claims because the tech dosen't have to spend the first hour just trying to get to where a problem maybe.
How about moving the rear pair of jacks back closer to the rear of the coach to help stabilize it. Not really sure why you need a jack on both sides of the axles when they are very capable of carrying the weight of the coach. Spread the load.
Maybe insulate the insides of the frame rails to help prevent the cold from transferring to where the water lines and valves are and also helping to keep the floors warmer in cold weather. Optional heat pads on the tanks and valves for people that know they will be in the extreme cold for any length of time. Just a few more ideas.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 AM   #68

Sounds like Redwood should look at standardizing their replacement part policy. I have had parts sent to me directly from Redwood. In fact the last part was a front jack, which was mailed directly to me during my stay in Texas this past winter.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #69

I have been reading both forums for years. This is my first post to either forum. We learn so much from all of you. We have a 2013 36RL and have been living in our unit full time for the last 6 months. We love our coach. We would like a light added to the battery compartment as it is very dark in there when something needs to be done. It is a pain in the neck to use a flashlight to see. We echo everyone's difficulties with the water filter and the dump valves. There needs to be some way to add a MaxxFan (or some sort of ability to add ventilation) to the bedroom if it was not added when the unit was built. We were told by RW that this cannot be added now. Parts should be sent directly to the owner when the service company who will be repairing the RV has spoken to RW about what part is needed.
Rockysroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysroad View Post
I have been reading both forums for years. This is my first post to either forum. We learn so much from all of you. We have a 2013 36RL and have been living in our unit full time for the last 6 months. We love our coach. We would like a light added to the battery compartment as it is very dark in there when something needs to be done. It is a pain in the neck to use a flashlight to see. We echo everyone's difficulties with the water filter and the dump valves. There needs to be some way to add a MaxxFan (or some sort of ability to add ventilation) to the bedroom if it was not added when the unit was built. We were told by RW that this cannot be added now. Parts should be sent directly to the owner when the service company who will be repairing the RV has spoken to RW about what part is needed.
I just added a light to the battery compartment - it would have been nice to have one from the factory.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #71

$8 - 2 minutes and pick your solution
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...20puck%20light
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #72

JBT,
That's exactly what I did over batteries & propane switch valve 'cause it never runs out in the daylight always 2-3 am.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #73

I have not ordered a 38gk yet, will order in the next couple of weeks. After hearing of the sevice issues; I thought of un-checking the water filter box on the order form and installing my own water filter system in the convenience center. Just a thought.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #74

I'm not sure there would be room for it in the convenience center the way it is currently set up.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
JBT,
That's exactly what I did over batteries & propane switch valve 'cause it never runs out in the daylight always 2-3 am.
I'm wondering why you have to switch over your valve for your propane tanks. As long as both tanks are open the propane will continue to flow. When one tank is empty it will automatically draw from the other. The only reason you need to switch the lever over is so that you will know which tank you are drawing propane from. Did I miss something?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #76

I could always add an inline to the water hose end before entering the 5th wheel. That would keep any filter and hose leaks in a safe place.
Jay D
Old 05-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
I could always add an inline to the water hose end before entering the 5th wheel. That would keep any filter and hose leaks in a safe place.
Jay D
If your new Redwood has the filter located where mine is, I would not order it. You can pick up one with a bypass valve from Lowes or Home Depot for a lot less and place it where you want to.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #78

Rick, that is just what I was thinking. Nice talking to you the other day.
Happy Trails
Jay D.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #79

I did not order my 38FL with the water filter but when I was at the factory I recall seeing it was installed basically where everyone is saying theirs is.

The first time I need to change the filter I probably will just remove the filter and just use an external inline filter. So much easier to maintain it sounds like.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #80
Site Team

For safety reasons.....I'd like to see "mid-ship" turn signals. I have clearance lights mid-ship but they aren't turn signals.