Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Well got some serious interest on the 5er, and now I'm scared to death to let it go! I get the feeling if I dump a pile of coin in a MH I'll never be able to get out of it if I change my mind a few years from now. I even worry about Dory if I pass away - she will just park it in the yard and spit at it because she will never be able to sell it. I can't bring my shaking hand to sign the dotted line.............
Take a look at motorhome prices in the range you want to spend. Figure out how many years you want to use it and see how much they loose. When I did the math for myself, I ended up in the Redwood. However, I think you said this, there are somethings you can't put a price on.

I bet you have a lot of interest in your rig, you have put a lot of work in it. I would be interested in your shower if you are willing to part it out. Why Redwood went to a white shower, escapes me.

For me, I like the idea that I can probably work on anything I want to in the RW. I am also just as happy to drop the truck off at the dealer as I have no clue on working vehicles.

With all that said, if I do hit a project out of the park, I will be in a Newmar Moutain Aire but only if I can pay cash and can afford to have it evaporate in 10 years.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
Dan

Brad
We love the truck camper you can go anywhere park any where we are like you lots of mountains and lakes around here. our "state" parks are small not many can accommodate a Redwood. We have a large solar panel on the truck camper perfect for dry camping.
We would not part with either the truck camper(short trips) or Red(long stays). The fuel, maintenance, insurance and depreciation on a MH is horrendous. The amount you would loose on your Redwood and truck I personally think you would be very disappointed/sorry if you sold, plus its better know what you have then what you don't!!!!

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #23

Brad...guess you have to look at your short and long term wants, needs, and desires in regards to RV'ing. What type unit meets those needs? Only you can answer that question. As you know, there are advantages and disadvantages to the different units. I'd make a list and go with the one that best meets those needs. As Dan stated...you know what you have now.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #24

Brad, you didn't mention all those custom mods you built into that RW. Besides... with that list of options, you're way underpriced.
If you plan to change your mind, better do it quick before you end up vacationing in Denver this year.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #25

Sold!

Got our DP under contract so we can scratch that off our bucket list .

Enjoyed talking to you all, swapping stories and technology. I Hope Redwood can continue with the new management, although the letter from the new President sounded pretty shallow.

Anyway - I really hope you forum folks can get over this forum feud someday and set aside your pride and nonsense and just acknowledge each other exist! It's really distracting to an owner to have to jump between forums just to stay active with friends that used to be joined together with one common interest - Redwood ownership.

Y'all take care!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Sold!

Got our DP under contract so we can scratch that off our bucket list .

Enjoyed talking to you all, swapping stories and technology. I Hope Redwood can continue with the new management, although the letter from the new President sounded pretty shallow.

Anyway - I really hope you forum folks can get over this forum feud someday and set aside your pride and nonsense and just acknowledge each other exist! It's really distracting to an owner to have to jump between forums just to stay active with friends that used to be joined together with one common interest - Redwood ownership.

Y'all take care!
Hey Brad, take care buddy. You are always welcome here in my eyes. Good luck with the DP....care to share what you got ??

Happy trails !!

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #27

Dang! Who's gonna spread the BS out GMs now! Have to find some one else to use my "Texas snark" on while bad mouthing Ford's.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradolivin View Post
Hey Brad, take care buddy. You are always welcome here in my eyes. Good luck with the DP....care to share what you got ??

Happy trails !!
I sent Vaughan a picture of Dory and Sarah standing next to a brand new Anthem to get his goat, but no, that would be a bit of coin to lay out for a vacation RV.

We found a nice used 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E with a 400 ISL that was clean and a good price and has the 1-1/2 bath for Dory and tows the Jeep or boat. It has the setup for a hydralift that lets you lift a heavy bike and still tow the Jeep, so maybe a Goldwing or an Indian is in my future

Dory says "or NOT"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00089.jpg (164.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
I sent Vaughan a picture of Dory and Sarah standing next to a brand new Anthem to get his goat, but no, that would be a bit of coin to lay out for a vacation RV.

We found a nice used 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E with a 400 ISL that was clean and a good price and has the 1-1/2 bath for Dory and tows the Jeep or boat. It has the setup for a hydralift that lets you lift a heavy bike and still tow the Jeep, so maybe a Goldwing or an Indian is in my future

Dory says "or NOT"
Brad,

Looks like a great coach.

You have been a great contributor to the forums.........a little feisty at times. but, that's okay. I wish you and Dory many happy trails and enjoy that new Anthem. Feel free to stay in touch.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:56 AM   #30

Quote:

Dory says "or NOT"
Congrats !!

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:21 AM   #31

Brad, regardless of which forum you participated in, you will be missed. You have provided a great deal of info to all who have requested help and information!! I constantly look at DP's thinking maybe some day, but right now I can't justify the expense and cost to maintain one. Don't be a stranger, check in every once in a while. Hope you enjoy that new to you coach!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #32

Brad,
Congratulations. Very impressive looking. If at all possible, could you post your thoughts on going from the 5th wheel to the DP in a few months.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:56 AM   #33

Brad...it's been great sharing with you on the forum. Your knowledge and RV'ing experience has been invaluable to many of us. Congrats on your new coach. Happy trails to you and Dory. Don't be a stranger. Yes...we would like some insight on how the other half lives!

Bob and Debbie
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:59 AM   #34

See ya Brad ,

Although we have never met , I feel as though we have become friends because of these forums. I have learned a lot from you ,and for that I thank You !

take care, safe travels..

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:35 AM   #35

Does this mean we won't tip one or two at Redwood RV park in July. If not, I will miss your many insightful comments and your product knowledge. Good luck to you and your family, hope to see you in Crescent City.

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #36

Brad & Dory, Sorry to see you leave the Redwood Family. I've appreciated your input on this forum. Hope you still hang around.

Good luck with the new motor home. Hope it's all you would want in your new vacation experiences.

Steve
Old 04-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #37

Thanks all for the kind words. I'll check back in, but if I start slamming Redwood because I don't have one now, just slap me around It's an easy tendency to do when you don't have one, but it would be false, because our particular Redwood was really-really good to us.

Jim, we are still going to Crescent City on those dates. We have another couple from California that will be staying with us, so that may dictate our schedule a bit, but look forward to meeting you and tipping a few.

Scott - I'll keep you updated, and I'm not afraid to say I made a mistake, as I already grumbled a lot about having a dually. Haven't taken delivery yet, but we've had it to ourselves for a day. So far:

Pro - huge open interior, massive storage underneath. Everything is easily accessible except he engine. Water tanks, wires, hoses are all right there exposed in the basement, rather than in the underbelly. Engine service is easy, but if you had to repair the engine it's done through the rear bathroom floor. This manufacturer provides online manuals, schematics, wiring, even part catalogs which is nice so far.

Con - Cost - even though we downgraded from our original thoughts, it's still a chunk of change that will continue to depreciate. Tires in 4 more years will be about $5,000, and major service about $2,000 in another couple years. Shwinteck slides on street side will probably haunt me in the future (been replaced once by factory). Full slide on curb is hydraulic. It's no race car - I will miss that acceleration of the Ford towing. Noisy as heck - big drawback for me already. The ride is super and can't hear the engine, but it rattles like a airport shuttle bus inside, and its empty! Last noticeable con is Dory is 8 ft away over there in the passenger seat Its like sitting across the aisle from your spouse in an airplane.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #38

Brad,
Thanks and best wishes to you and your family.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts down the line. I do find my self looking at DP every once in a while and wondering what if.

Also, thanks for providing a roadmap of upgrades that you did to your RW.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks all for the kind words. I'll check back in, but if I start slamming Redwood because I don't have one now, just slap me around It's an easy tendency to do when you don't have one, but it would be false, because our particular Redwood was really-really good to us.

Jim, we are still going to Crescent City on those dates. We have another couple from California that will be staying with us, so that may dictate our schedule a bit, but look forward to meeting you and tipping a few.

Scott - I'll keep you updated, and I'm not afraid to say I made a mistake, as I already grumbled a lot about having a dually. Haven't taken delivery yet, but we've had it to ourselves for a day. So far:

Pro - huge open interior, massive storage underneath. Everything is easily accessible except he engine. Water tanks, wires, hoses are all right there exposed in the basement, rather than in the underbelly. Engine service is easy, but if you had to repair the engine it's done through the rear bathroom floor. This manufacturer provides online manuals, schematics, wiring, even part catalogs which is nice so far.

Con - Cost - even though we downgraded from our original thoughts, it's still a chunk of change that will continue to depreciate. Tires in 4 more years will be about $5,000, and major service about $2,000 in another couple years. Shwinteck slides on street side will probably haunt me in the future (been replaced once by factory). Full slide on curb is hydraulic. It's no race car - I will miss that acceleration of the Ford towing. Noisy as heck - big drawback for me already. The ride is super and can't hear the engine, but it rattles like a airport shuttle bus inside, and its empty! Last noticeable con is Dory is 8 ft away over there in the passenger seat Its like sitting across the aisle from your spouse in an airplane.
Since we went from MH to Redwood I can honestly say the best pro will be no more parking or fueling problems. The RW can be tricky in many CG but as you will find out the MH will be able to be put almost anywhere and I do mean most anywhere.
If you have rattles in this one there is a problem.... Easily corrected since ours was low budget and "0" rattles and we still miss it sometimes.

Good luck on your new ventures. Even though you can be very annoying at times your info on this site has helped us through our beginning stages with the new RW.

Steve
Old 04-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #40
Site Team

Brad,

That looks like a nice rig! I hope it brings you miles of happiness and fulfills all your dreams.

Happy trails!