Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #21
Site Team

Woodman ~ I would make one comment, and please do not take this negatively ~ I was where you are. Had a 2012 F350 SRW Short bed that I loved. Bought Redwood and figured it was good to go. As you said, truck pulled it fine. I also had a Pull Rite 20k hitch, Airbags, and I added Sway bars.

I made the mistake of believing the "brochure" weights. When I actually had the rig weighed, individual wheels by a DOT Officer, we found all the weights were within spec except ,,,,,,,, I was more than 1100 pounds over on the Rear Axle rating and also the same amount over what the tires were rated for. The 36RL in particular is pin heavy, even more so if Washer Dryer and Genset installed. When mine was weighed, it did not have any of those and was not loaded for fulltime.

I decided that I didn't want to risk blowing a drive tire at speed. Someone in Nebraska got a very nice 9 month old truck and I got a really great Dually that I love. And it was my daily driver, including for my business for over 3 years before we went fulltime.

As I said, I'm not criticizing your choice, just wanted to mention where you might be weight wise from someone who's been there.

BTW, there is NO comparison in how a SRW and a Dually tow ...... If I ever replace this one it will be with either a Sportchassis or a Volvo.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:01 AM   #22

Truck type

'Piperguy', I appreciate your input and thanks for sharing your experiences. When I posted support for a well-equipped SWR, I knew I'd get opinions to the contrary, and I'm not offended in any way. That's what forums are for, to get varying opinions that are, hopefully, well supported and constructive. A DWR would create other problems for my business, like getting into tight spots where the dually simply wouldn't fit. No one argues that a DWR is the most stable, especially with a rear blow out. It, by far, has the greatest towing capacity and stability, but once off the trailer they're overbearing IMO and impractical for touring, etc. My 36RL certainly is near the top in weights, but I'm okay with where I'm at, especially since getting the Michelin tires and installing AirLifts, IS and disc brake MorRyde package. Is it the best for towing this RW? Probably not, but it's pretty darn good and once you look at the whole picture, I think a well-equipped SWR and RW can work. We have a permanent spot in FL where we keep a lot of our stuff, so we generally pack light and don't carry the W/D thing. Yeh, being from WI, I'm looking forward to warm temps.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #23

We are on our 2nd Dually, a number of years ago we had a 2007 Chevy 2500 SRW and a 41 Foot SOB 5th Wheel. Yes the Chevy pulled and stopped the 41 Footer fine but after my first trip out to Texas and the white knuckle driving with the winds, we traded the SRW for a 2012 GMC DRW.
Since moving to a DRW we have been coast to coast in all kinds of road conditions, weather and wind conditions and have been very happy with the move to a DRW.
As we get closer to retirement we recently traded again, we traded in our 2012 GMC DRW and got a 2018 RAM DRW.
The RAM is the first Chrysler product I have ever owned, so far we really like our choice but also in the back of my mind since I am a long time / die hard GM fan I hope I made the right choice and will not regret the brand switch down the road.
We will make our first tow with our Redwood with our new RAM this weekend, looking forward to see how the RAM preforms on the interstate joints, bumps and bridges.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:00 AM   #24

The pass/fail test to me was putting it on the scale with a load that conservatively resembles the peak of how you will us it.

Drive axle scale weight > rear axle weight rating - fail
Drive axle scale weight divided by 2 > max tire load rating - fail

That's what put our SRW in for trade on a dually, regretfully. The dually bothered us enough in the end we got rid of it all.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #25

Just bought a 2016 39MB. Haven't picked it up yet. Am I going to be ok pushing a 2017 GMC 2500 4wd, with a Duramax, double cab, short bed? I was pulling a Cameo F38RE3 with no problems. Also, does anyone know how the cab clearance will be without a slider? The Cameo has a 5th airborne and I have no problems due to the turret setup. Any information would be appreciated by this newbie RW owner, THANKS.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:56 AM   #26

Check your weights! I think a 3500 dually (my preference Ram) would be a smart choice! They are heavy trailers! Overloaded could cause insurance claim issues.
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief AFD View Post
Just bought a 2016 39MB. Haven't picked it up yet. Am I going to be ok pushing a 2017 GMC 2500 4wd, with a Duramax, double cab, short bed? I was pulling a Cameo F38RE3 with no problems. Also, does anyone know how the cab clearance will be without a slider? The Cameo has a 5th airborne and I have no problems due to the turret setup. Any information would be appreciated by this newbie RW owner, THANKS.
I tow my “16” 38RL with my “15” F-350 SRW/Diesel/shortbox. I am just within MOST of my weights and feel 100% confident with my truck. My trailer has the 8K IS and disc brakes.
With that said, I would NOT go any less than the 1 ton newer series for that trailer... you will be WAY over your trucks payload capacity...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:09 AM   #28

We have a '16 39MB and it left the Factory at just under 16K Lbs before we even added a paper plate.
So in my opinion you will be Grossly over weight on a 2500. Will a 2500 pull it, sure thing you've got the same motor and xmission we have in our 3500 Dually, but we can handle a lot more weight with the additional training wheels.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #29

The problem is carrying, not pulling. It will be tough to stay under your tire weights. That's a lot pushing around a single rear wheel truck.
Mark
Old 03-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #30

Thanks everybody for the information
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief AFD View Post
To all the guys who have a DRW "YES" I do agrees a DRW is the best but due to my parking and lifestyle at present I could not go to a DRW. So i have a Duramax SRW 350 with airbags--on board compressor and air tank so I can adjust the pressure any time I want. Also Goodyear has a Kevlar tires that by going one size larger it has about a 200lb more carry weight per tire. Also I have the lippert pin box with the shock that I upgraded to a double shock. From there Titan disc brakes with the Lippert air bag suspension. The only difference between the 250 and the 350 is I have more leafs.
With yours being 250 it has about a 600 lb lighter tab than mine.
I have clocked 2 trips to Florida and back to Canada and multiple short trips.(say 10k miles) My redwood dealer uses the same truck as mine to deliver Redwoods and does not have a slider where I do. I have never felt any danger when towing.
If I was you I would put on the airbags and tires.
Yes would it have been cheaper to buy a DRW instead of all my upgrades probably yes but it was not in the cards.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote