Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

What hitch should I buy?

Finally I was able to find a used 2003 Dodge 3500 DRW long bed Cummins automatic. Low mile and very well taken care of. Now I have something that will tow our 2015 39MB safely.

I'm in need of hitch ideas. With the long bed I don't think Ill need a slider style. I do every once and awhile need a goose neck ball for a horse and flat bed trailer but I still have my 3/4 ton with the ball so I can always use that.

The main use of this new truck is to pull our RW around the county on vacation and the rest of the time will be parked. There are a lot of hitches out there and choices seem endless. I only want to buy this set up once. Our pin box is the basic roto flex and I was also thinking of updating it to the Lippert air ride style.

I'm needing lots of ideas, comments and suggestions on what combination setup I should run. Reliable, safe and strong is the goal plus comfort as my wife just informed me.

On a side note there are above rail already mounted in the bed but no hitch assy. I don't know if those can be reused or if I should take them out and start form the beginning.

Thanks everybody and look forward to hearing all ideas, thoughts and suggestions.
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBob65 View Post
Finally I was able to find a used 2003 Dodge 3500 DRW long bed Cummins automatic. Low mile and very well taken care of. Now I have something that will tow our 2015 39MB safely.

I'm in need of hitch ideas. With the long bed I don't think Ill need a slider style. I do every once and awhile need a goose neck ball for a horse and flat bed trailer but I still have my 3/4 ton with the ball so I can always use that.

The main use of this new truck is to pull our RW around the county on vacation and the rest of the time will be parked. There are a lot of hitches out there and choices seem endless. I only want to buy this set up once. Our pin box is the basic roto flex and I was also thinking of updating it to the Lippert air ride style.

I'm needing lots of ideas, comments and suggestions on what combination setup I should run. Reliable, safe and strong is the goal plus comfort as my wife just informed me.

On a side note there are above rail already mounted in the bed but no hitch assy. I don't know if those can be reused or if I should take them out and start form the beginning.

Thanks everybody and look forward to hearing all ideas, thoughts and suggestions.
Is the new truck a 4X4? I have a husky 26k it is a no frills hitch but seem to work good. I don't have a lot of chucking with it either.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #3

If the rails already in your truck were used for a fifth wheel hitch before they are probably universal rails and can be used with many different hitches. You just need to make sure they were installed properly. You will probably hear many different preferences on manufacturer as far as hitches go but I will say, if you only want to make this purchase once I would make sure the hitch is rated for at least 20K or 24K. The higher rating probably won't cost that much more initially and will give you extra in the event that you end up with a heavier fifth wheel later on. I have always owned a Reese hitch but as I've said before, every one has their preference for whatever reason.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

Yes, it is a 4x4. The rails in the bed have no names on them. They look like they are hooked up well. They did pull a 5th wheel with this truck just unsure what hitch they used.
I agree going with a higher rated hitch plus I would like to be able to move it to another tow vehicle when we upgrade in the future.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, it is a 4x4. The rails in the bed have no names on them. They look like they are hooked up well. They did pull a 5th wheel with this truck just unsure what hitch they used.
I agree going with a higher rated hitch plus I would like to be able to move it to another tow vehicle when we upgrade in the future.
Go to an online store like hitchesonline.com and look at their universal hitch rails and see if yours are like those and look underneath and see if they are bolted onto the frame with the kit like shown on their site You can also check out the variety of hitches that wil work with those rails and pricing for the hitches. .
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #6

I use a Trailer Saver TS3 with the Roto flex pin box, it's rated at 20K. It makes the RW feel like it is floating behind the truck. A little pricey but worth every penny. I have the smart air system, so I just back into the pin box and the hitch airs it's self up.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #7

I put a Reese 20K Pro on our truck rails. I have the Rotoflex hitch and 99 % of the time hook up the first time. I also flipped the release handle 180 degrees so it hangs or points down rather than up. Wanted to be sure the handle didn't poke up through my tri-fold tonneau cover when not towing. This might not be important to you though.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #8

Scrap the rails & do B&W turnover with companion 5th wheel. I've had 3 different brands & the B&W is hands down the best, simple, easy, light weight to load/unload, in about 5 minutes you can have a gooseneck also.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:41 AM   #9

I have a Curt Q20. I have had several different Reese hitches as well. The Curt is a very solid, heavy duty hitch compared to the Reese's I've owned. However, the Reese were much easier to get hooked. If I am on any kind of incline, the Curt hitch takes several attempts before locking into place. Once locked, it is very solid. Everyone that owns a B&W says they are the best. I've never used one, they are kinda pricey.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #10

B&W hitch best 5 viver made in kansas by americans

18 gvw uses same jaws as 22k hitch
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #11

When I got rid of the slider in my last truck I went with this one and it fit right in the existing above bed rails.

Amazon - Reese 20

It did a nice job for us. Made in Mexico by Mexicans, which I'm OK with given the trailer was made here...........
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled.png (517.1 KB, 7 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull_chips View Post
I have a Curt Q20. I have had several different Reese hitches as well. The Curt is a very solid, heavy duty hitch compared to the Reese's I've owned. However, the Reese were much easier to get hooked. If I am on any kind of incline, the Curt hitch takes several attempts before locking into place. Once locked, it is very solid. Everyone that owns a B&W says they are the best. I've never used one, they are kinda pricey.
I have the Q20 as well and am pleased with it. I'm also impressed by how easy it is to deal with their customer service. I had a screw sticking up on the skid plate and they sent me a whole hitch replacement with a simple phone call.

btw, I have the RAM 3500 Cummins dual wheel long bed as well (2015).
gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

We have the Curt Q24 and like it as well, I think the difference in price between the Q20 and Q24 was less than $50 so I went ahead with overkill and went with the Q24.
One of the things I like about the Q24 Curt Hitch is the wider stance / rail mounting than many other hitches I have seen.
It gets the hitch load / attachment point closer to our Trucks Frame Rails

Curt Q24.jpg
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #14

I was always impressed with the build quality with B&W. At $1,100 some may think it was pricey but all I had to do was just drop her in. It just appears more stoutly built than other manufacturers

B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #15

I went today at lunch and looked at the B&W Companion hitch that a local RV dealer had on display. I was very impressed with the quality of the product. I was told by the parts person that the one that will work with my rig would be the basic companion style with the turnover ball. I wouldn't need a slider because I had an 8ft bed. My truck doesn't have the puck systems in it like the newer Ford and Dodges have.
My concerns would be would the hitch be high enough to give me the bed rail clearance Id need?
Would the hitch be stable enough just hooked to the goose neck ball and would it rattle and chuck around?
The rating on the hitch was 20k towing with 5k pin weight. Would that be enough rating for my trailer?
Very nice looking hitch and there have been a lot of great reviews on them.
Pin weight on our rig new before loaded with wife's shoes, clothes and jewelry was 2,250 lbs pin weight and total weight of 13,728 lbs.
No gen set or washer/dryer.
So is the B&W rated for enough to stay in the safe zone.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #16

Been using mine for towing for approximately 40k miles, no rattles, I retorque the gooseneck pin about twice a year, grease the head about every other time we move, will never buy any other hitch. Mine is the 18k & has been enough so far, trailer weighs 16.5k with as pin weight of 3750 If I recall (don't have the sheet in front of me) so I'm well within the limits of the hitch.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #17

I bought my hitch today. I chose the Husky 26k. Looks pretty solid, double pivot and it dropped right into the rails that were already installed in the truck. Looking forward to getting the RW hooked up and going for a ride. Thanks everyone for your input and ideas.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #18

Quote:
I bought my hitch today. I chose the Husky 26k. Looks pretty solid, double pivot and it dropped right into the rails that were already installed in the truck. Looking forward to getting the RW hooked up and going for a ride. Thanks everyone for your input and ideas.
The husky 26k is a no frills hitch. Talk about Plain Jane. I have to say it is very solid I have the same Ram and hitch as you and the two just seem to work. Only complaint I have is getting the king pin jaw to release. It seems to bite and hold on for dear life.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #19

Ive installed my new Husky 26K and was wondering about plate lubrication. I know on a semi you would grease the plate but on this one would I do the same or use one of those white nylon discs?
I would think that there would have to be some sort of lubrication in between the plates.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #20

Either way, grease or Teflon disk. Make sure to grease the mechanism regularly.