Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

If my 34SK has a shipping weight of 12700lbs and Carrying Capacity of 2900lbs and a Pin Weight of 2200lbs, then to get the net weight on each of the four tires should be: 12700 + 2900 - 2200 / 4 = 3350lbs on each tire. If my unit ships from the factory with the standard Goodyear Marathon load range E tire rated at 80 psi for 3042lbs then when I get my unit and put my 2900lbs of allowable load on it I will have overloaded each tire by 308lbs. Does this seem like something I should be concerned about? Did the Engineers at the factory miss something here or are my calculations incorrect? Now if I were to have an accident because of a blowout that killed or maimed several people, who would be at fault, me, Goodyear or Redwood RV? Just a few things I wonder about as I wait for my unit. BTW the last question is purely rhetorical. Edited by: John317
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Well you're close but not quite right. Most of what you put in a fifth wheel will go in the front because that's where the storage and the biggest closets are. That means it will be carried by your TV or pin instead of your trailer tires. Now the question is.....how much will your TV carry including you your spouse, fuel, hitch etc..etc..etc.

I found out this the hard way and was ok with the TV I had as long as I didn't put anything in the trailer. It was the tires that became the problem on my TV.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John317
If my 34SK has a shipping weight of 12700lbs and Carrying Capacity of 2900lbs and a Pin Weight of 2200lbs, then to get the net weight on each of the four tires should be: 12700 + 2900 - 2200 / 4 = 3350lbs on each tire. If my unit ships from the factory with the standard Goodyear Marathon load range E tire rated at 80 psi for 3042lbs then when I get my unit and put my 2900lbs of allowable load on it I will have overloaded each tire by 308lbs. Does this seem like something I should be concerned about? Did the Engineers at the factory miss something here or are my calculations incorrect? Now if I were to have an accident because of a blowout that killed or maimed several people, who would be at fault, me, Goodyear or Redwood RV? Just a few things I wonder about as I wait for my unit. BTW the last question is purely rhetorical.
I think this is how it works. 12700 - 2200 = 10500 on the tires. of the 2900 cc, now it would depend on how you load it. you would add some to the tires andadd some to the pin. you would have to weigh each axcel/tire of the trailer and tow unit,to know for sure. I'm sure if you were over weight and had an accident, they would blame you.

Lillyputz
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

They would definitely blame you because you are ultimately responsible for the loading of your trailer they would say it was legal when it left the factory and that you added the extra weight.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Don't forget to add in a fudge factor since it seems most units are leaving the Factory 1000 to 1500 Pounds heavier than the brochure spec weight.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #6

The reason they are leaving the factoryheavier is because people are adding options and every option adds weight to the base weight.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #7

You and I know that, yet some keep referencing the dry weight in the brochure to justify that they are within spec of there TV. We haven't had a chance to hit the scales yet, but with a real world empty weight of 14K, I guess we're close to 15.5 going down the road.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Team

I haven't scaled mine yet either with my new truck, but I guessing around 15,500 as well with about 20 gallons of water.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #9

We were at an Escapees rally last month and attended a SmartWeigh presentation. The speaker brought up a chart from theR</span>ecreational Vehicle Education &amp; Safety Foundation. The speaker mentioned since the organization's founding in 1993, they have performed individual wheel position weigh-ins of over 30000 RV's of every type.</span>
57% of the RV's weighed were found to be overweight by whatever measure you want to consider, GVWR, GCVWR, axle weight, or tire capacity. That 57% overweight figure was fairly evenly distributed among all RV classes, though 5th wheels topped the list with 55% being overweight. That's probably due to the fact that 5th. wheels have pretty generous storage capacity and we are inclined to take everything but the kitchen sink with them when we travel.</span>We had our setup weighed and were pleased to find out we were among the 43% of RVers who were ok weight wise.</span>
People that are in the market for a new TV should get something that will comfortably handle 110% of the trailer's GVWR. The nice thing is all truck manufacturers post the towing capacities of their vehicles on their websites so finding the right TV for your application is relatively easy. Never trust the salesperson to inform you of which TV is the right one for you.</span>
If your trailer is heavier than what your TV is rated to safely handle, you put yourself and others at risk.</span>
If you do have an accident, even if it's not your fault, some insurance companies are demanding that your rig be weighed in an attempt to prove shared liability.</span>
I've also heard stories of people having mechanical failures on their trucks and them not being covered by the warranty because they were towing a trailer that was heavier than the truck was rated for thus voiding the warranty.</span>
</span>
Bottom line is this. Be an informed and responsible consumer. YOU will be the held responsible for a mechanical failure or accident if you are overloaded or towing a trailer that too heavy for your tow vehicle.</span>
Use the manufacturer's website to get the rating numbers for both the TV and the TT.</span>
</span>
Consider this.. an RV is the only vehicle on the road that is traveling at 100% of it's load capacity 100% of the time.</span>
</span>
As always... this is just my opinion.</span>
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Last week end I went to the DMV to transfer my plates from my old truck to the new one. I was told a very stern NO. I guess in Illinois, the state police are cracking down on the dually trucks. They said that there were too many trucks and trailers with lighter plates on them and that it had been greatly discussed. I had to order "F" plates which ended up costing over $340. Illinois probably see's the dually trucks as a new revenue stream.

I was warned the state police are starting to pull over RVs and checking their weight, making sure they aren't over their GVW. I wonder how much of this is for taxes revenues and how much of it is for safety.

I've seen signs at the weigh stations in some states that say ALL vehicles over a certain weight must weight. Now I'm afraid since I'm licensed for a heavier weight I'm going to fall into this mess.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #11

I have no idea why Iilinois would want to find new streams of revenue, they are such a fiscally well run State. Not
Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #12

Some states, if your truck is rated for 10,000 and over. you are required to go through the scales. loaded or not. a dually, can be a dead give away.

Lillyputz
Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John317
I have no idea why Iilinois would want to find new streams of revenue, they are such a fiscally well run State. Not
We're proud! Because we've got the best politicians money can buy
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #14

In Iowa you must go through the scales if you're over 6K but no one does. I can say for myself that I will not go through a scale! I would rather take my chances of being pulled over for running the scale instead of giving them the chance to waste my time on checking out something that they know nothing about. I'm not going to be there ginnie pig or a source for revenue. I played that game for 22 years in the commercial trucking industry and i refuse to play the same game with my RV. Don't get me wrong I'm very conscience of the laws because of my previous carrier and i do all I can to be legal but I am not a willing to give them the chance to empty my bank account!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
In Iowa you must go through the scales if you're over 6K but no one does. I can say for myself that I will not go through a scale! I would rather take my chances of being pulled over for running the scale instead of giving them the chance to waste my time on checking out something that they know nothing about. I'm not going to be there ginnie pig or a source for revenue. I played that game for 22 years in the commercial trucking industry and i refuse to play the same game with my RV. Don't get me wrong I'm very conscience of the laws because of my previous carrier and i do all I can to be legal but I am not a willing to give them the chance to empty my bank account!
Why don't you tell us how you really feel about it.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #16

You don't want to get me started on diesel bears and how miss informed they are about the laws they are charged with upholding.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

The contents logged here are exactly why I double checked my 38BR weight and the capacities of TV's before I ordered my F-350.

A change last year in the understanding of total weight for RV and tow vehicle in Ontario saved me several hundred dollars in misc BS to change from a regular Class G car license to a Class A "trucker" license minus the air brake endorsement.

The bears here start with a fine if they are having a good day and go all the way to impounding truck and trailer if someone pee'd in their Cheerios.

Revisions last July made the combined weight 24,000 or less so I don't have to do anything. I still plan to weight truck, trailer, and combined when the weight scale is closed just to be sure.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
You don't want to get me started on diesel bears and how miss informed they are about the laws they are charged with upholding.
Yep...we're from the same neighborhood! They can stop me if they feel like they have to but I'm not stopping unless they come after me. I spent 20 years dealing with those fools and now since the RV isn't a revenue generating vehicle....they can leave me alone unless they start weighing cars full of fat people too.

I'm all for the safety checks, checking lights, tires, brakes and such as long as they're checking everyone. But they shouldn't single out any type of vehicle.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #19

I think there is a simple solution to this problem when it comes time to register your rig (ie tow vehicle and trailer combined ) you should have to bring in a certified scale ticket showing the weights of all of the axles. This will keep the weight issue on there mind all year long. If you are involved in an accident and you are found to be overweight you deserve to get a ticket, so if you think you will just unload some stuff to get a legal scale ticket for registration, all you are doing is putting off the inevitable.
what most people don't realize is that if they just kept there rig at or below legal weight limits they save themselves a lot of troubles down the road and save money on maintenance and repairs.
The diesel bears should be checking for safety issues such as lights, brakes, suspension problems, tires and so on but this should not a new found source of income for there states.
We all know what needs to be done to be legal and if we all took the steps needed to be legal they would have no choice but to leave us alone.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
The contents logged here are exactly why I double checked my 38BR weight and the capacities of TV's before I ordered my F-350.

A change last year in the understanding of total weight for RV and tow vehicle in Ontario saved me several hundred dollars in misc BS to change from a regular Class G car license to a Class A "trucker" license minus the air brake endorsement.

The bears here start with a fine if they are having a good day and go all the way to impounding truck and trailer if someone pee'd in their Cheerios.

Revisions last July made the combined weight 24,000 or less so I don't have to do anything.Â* I still plan to weight truck, trailer, and combined when the weight scale is closed just to be sure.

I think the best way for us Canadians is to weigh it when the scale is open, get the ticket and keep it along with reg and insurance. If you get stopped, just show the guy your weigh ticket. Up to him to prove you wrong. Did that with the Outback and will do with RW. Get it tomorrow from Serge at Ceamping in Style. As you know, we were exempt from the weight laws due to the rv classification. Oh well times are a changing.