Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Towing with exterior lights on?

We have a 2019 RW 3901 WB and love it. I'm wondering if it's a good or a bad idea to have the red underlighting(marked exterior lighting) and the "redwood frown" on the front lit up while towing at night?
The "frown" is up by the marker lights and the underlighting would make the position of the coach on the roadway more visible.

Thank you,

Kris
Bigrisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBoehmer View Post
We have a 2019 RW 3901 WB and love it. I'm wondering if it's a good or a bad idea to have the red underlighting(marked exterior lighting) and the "redwood frown" on the front lit up while towing at night?
The "frown" is up by the marker lights and the underlighting would make the position of the coach on the roadway more visible.

Thank you,

Kris
I will say NO.... With Red lights meaning BRAKE LIGHTS, that could cause some questions by people that get confused easily... They are out there...

Just my opinion..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

Sound logic, thank you.. I really like the idea of illuminating the under the coach while pulling at night, but I don't want to confuse the other guys on the road..
3 AC's. Full Body Paint, Winegard Traveler Satellite, Solar Panels, Residential Fridge, Sleep Number, Air ride, Slide Toppers, 2 3K inverters, Wife and 2 dogs/Full Bar!
Old 09-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

If I recall drivers ed, if that frown was amber you could leave it on, red only on the rear.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

Makes sense.
3 AC's. Full Body Paint, Winegard Traveler Satellite, Solar Panels, Residential Fridge, Sleep Number, Air ride, Slide Toppers, 2 3K inverters, Wife and 2 dogs/Full Bar!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
If I recall drivers ed, if that frown was amber you could leave it on, red only on the rear.

DOT laws 3 closely positioned AMBER forward facing lights high mounted is 8' wide load and the outside corner marker clearance lights are also amber
Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBoehmer View Post

Thank you,

Kris

FWIW, 6 years ago (2cd year of ownership) I replaced the back-up lights with amber LED lamp fixtures and the taillights with red LED lamp fixtures. I re-wired the amber fixtures into the turn signal circuits. Now, when the turn signals go on, there is no question about them being visible unless the person is driving blind or reading their text messages.

Also, I always tow with all lights on including fog lights on the truck during daylight hours. I want the entire rig to be as visible as possible. I never tow after dark.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #8

I did something similar to Guy. I removed the back up lights & replaced all 4 with red LED lights, all 4 light up when the taillights & stop lights are on & 2 on each side as turn signals, if they can't see me from behind they're blind. Didn't ever plan to be backing after dark & the wimpy factory back up lights wouldn't have helped much anyway.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #9

The only one I might consider running while traveling would be the yellow Smile in front.

I too removed the factory tail lamps and added 4 led lamps for running, brake and turn signals, but since the backup wire was there, I added 2 18" led backup lights to the hitch bar. I made a section an angle iron to mount lights too and bolted it to my skid wheel brackets. So I have lots of brake and turning lights now and still have backup lights - not really for night backing but just to let those behind me know that I am backing up..

Do a search here, I posted some pictures a few years ago.

Safe travels..
Old 09-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

I guess see this point, my question is, what does the forum think of putting the "ground effect" underbelly LED lighting on while pulling at night?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:42 PM   #11

All "cool" kids run with blue ground effect lights, don't know about red!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #12

We avoid traveling at night unless it was and extreme emergency, like trying to get away from a hurricane or tornado.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #13

Us too. We want to be in camp and set up by 3:00 PM to relax and enjoy things. An adult beverage may sneak its way into the mix.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 AM   #14

I believe in most states those under chassis lights, either neon or LED are unlawful.

"Laws concerning the use of neon underglow lights are typically covered under the lighting requirements of state traffic laws or motor vehicle codes. Most states have specific laws concerning restrictions on the use of accent lighting and other unlawful vehicle modifications, in terms of color, form, type, and location on the vehicle. As a general principle, underglow lights are legal so long as they remain covered and unlit on public roads and do not flash or include the colors red or blue.
Because the laws on underglow lights vary greatly by state, drivers looking to add underglow lights should first check under the unlawful vehicle modification laws of their particular state to avoid potential warnings and penalties."

Perhaps they look cool when the rv is parked and set up, but try it and see how quick the cops stop you while driving.

I am also sure that the many different colored lights on the front caps are considered docking lights, not driving or clearance lights. Like Brad stated earlier about the 3 lights together meaning a load wider than 80" or 84" like below the rear of a boat trailer.

Check in your particular state for different laws regarding these lights.

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 AM   #15

Chris,

Thank you, that answers my question. I appreciate this.
Ideally , like others have said, I'll try to do my traveling during the daylight hours..
Safe travels and thank you all for the input.

Kris
Old 09-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #16

I have matching purple lighting on the truck and the trailer. Looks great going down the road. V
NTPA Announcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #17

We have purple lights on our HDT and the Redwood. They add a nice glow, and look pretty cool too. I do a fair amount of night driving and they also let me know where the coach is when backing up. We used all led’s and probably will add more to the HDT this winter.
Denver.
NTPA Announcer is offline   Reply With Quote