Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

I have a 2012 F350 CC DRW and have questions with those towing with same type truck, we are looking at a 38GK, but questions should apply to all.

* Can you hook up to fiver without lifting tail gate when you back in?

* Are you running air bags and why? Did the fiver sink the truck to much, or you just wanted to? If not running air bags, are you close to level?

* Any trouble getting bed rail clearance? We have a B&W hitch and looking at the trail air for fiver.

Our truck is the autumn red, would someone have this color and does it match full body paint? Nearest unit for me to look at is about 160 miles away, trying to keep from driving if we have to.

Thanks for the help, more questions to follow.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #2

We have almost the same truck, only difference is we have a SRW.

- Tailgate - it has to be lowered when hooking up. With the truck square to the coach we have more than ample room to walk between the lowered tailgate and coach
- Airbags on the truck - negative, we justhave factory suspension
- Sinkage - yes it drops the back end significantly, but we are level
- Bed rail clearance - we use the Reese Elite 25K and have ample clearance on the bed rails. The Tonneau cover I folded it completely against the cab, but next time I am going to level it level folded onto the last leaf, as it appears to have sufficient clearance.
- Colour - negative we have blue and it isn't colour coordinated coordinated

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

We have a F450 DRW and yes even it sunk when hooking up. So much so that people in oncoming traffic would flash their lights at us at night, even with low beams. Added Firestone Ride Rite Airbags with 50 Lbs of air in them, now all is good.

If you decide to go this way, recommend the onboard automatic compressor so you can smooth out the ride underway or unhooked. Just be sure to keep 5 Lbs in them when unhooked.
Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #4

I just installed the air lift bags on my F350 SRW with the auto level compressor system. Just got home with it towing our Montana in anticipation of picking up the Redwood next week.

It works slick, and takes that deeeeep dip out of those road heaves that send you down. I did feel the jounce bouncers hit once on a rough road.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

I have a F-450 and have nothing added and no problems. I also don't load it down to the max and only carry enough water to use the commode when traveling, I get everything when I get where I'm going. We plan on staying a month at each place then move on, no more than 600 miles at a time, more time seeing the scenery and less time in the truck. I also don't plan on Boon-docking, Federal and State Parks mostly. Me and my wife planned this years ago, with both retiring from the State of Louisiana we will spurge on a lot of things and enjoy what we worked 30 plus years for. Thank you Jesus for the blessings.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Dan

The only way around thetailgateis to use an airflow fifth wheel tailgate , they have the centre cut out of them

I had air bags on my last truck, Ihaven'tinstalled then on this truck so far so good

I too have aReese Elite 25K, I went with this one as I</span>also</span>have a truck camper and like the clean bed.</span></span>
</span></span>
There are</span>varioushitches on the forum and nobody mentioned any</span>clearanceproblems</span></span>
</span></span>
Paint colour is a matter of</span></span>preference

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty...ations/towing/

Ford F450 is rated for 24,700 Lbs. on the towing, I probable am not over 14,300 at the max.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman
I have a 2012 F350 CC DRW and have questions with those towing with same type truck, we are looking at a 38GK, but questions should apply to all.

* Can you hook up to fiver without lifting tail gate when you back in?

* Are you running air bags and why? Did the fiver sink the truck to much, or you just wanted to? If not running air bags, are you close to level?

* Any trouble getting bed rail clearance? We have a B&amp;W hitch and looking at the trail air for fiver.

Our truck is the autumn red, would someone have this color and does it match full body paint? Nearest unit for me to look at is about 160 miles away, trying to keep from driving if we have to.

Thanks for the help, more questions to follow.
I can help you with everything but color since I have basically the same truck and I use a B&amp;W Companion hitch.
#1 drop your tail gate before you hook up and then raise it again before you drive away. There's plenty of clearance with the gate down that you don't have to worry about hitting the trailer. There's even more clearance if you buy the Tri-Glide hitch WHICH I STRONGLY RECOMMEND.

#2 Yes I'm running with the air-lift bags to help with the "Chucking" and the bumps. The suspension of the truck can handle the weight but it gets very rough at time when you stretch those springs. Keep in mind though I carry more weight than most folks do because I have an extra fuel tank, generator, bed cover and I usually have 1/3 tank of fresh water. I also went with total air ride on the truck which makes it ride like a 1/2 ton.

#3 The tri-glide gives you more bed rail clearance, more tail gate clearance (you can raise the front hatch completely with the regular pin box you can't) and a wonderful ride.

I've had a 2011 F350 srw 4x4 Lariat and traded it for a 2012 F350 Dually 4X4 Lariat. I can say without a doubt the dually handles my trailer better. However depending on your set up the SRW could work for you. I also started out with the standard pin box and in February I switched to the Tri-Glide. Hands down the Tri-Glide should be standard equipment.

I hope this helps......good luck the 38GK is beautiful!

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Thanks for the replys. Should have been more clear on tail gate question. When you are backing in with tail gate down, can you hitch up without closing tail gate first? Have saw some fivers where you can't. My measurements show I could hitch with gate down, but not much room between tailgate and front of fiver. But your answers sayI can. Trail air pin box is a must option for me.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

I have almost 12 inches of clearance on my F350 SRW so there is plenty of room. Go with the Trail Air and you can't go wrong. I do not have air bags and have had no problems but have considered installing them. I keep getting conflicting information about air bags and the trail air pin box. I have been told it's not a good setup because it effects handling. I run about 65PSI in my trail air and it handles so good I probably will not do air bags.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Fathog ~ I tow with a 2012 F350 CC Shortbed 4x4. My 36RL has the TrailAir hitch. When I'm hooked up, rig is level (truck has the 11,500 gvw upgrade and snowplow prep). However, I was still getting a fair amount of chucking, and going over a bridge on the interstate was at times a new "experience". Put the Ailift airbag system on and the difference in ride was night and day. No more chucking, very smooth ride over dips and frost heaves, and all around huge improvement. Even improved the unloaded, empty ride of the truck a bunch. I run 12 lbs empty, 55 lbs with the rig on and 60 lbs in the hitch.

Just put on Helwig heavy duty swaybars front and back and replaced the OEM steering stabiliser with a Bilstein. I'll post what that did foe it next week, will be going on a 3 hour tow each way this weekend.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathog99

I have almost 12 inches of clearance on my F350 SRW so there is plenty of room. Go with the Trail Air and you can't go wrong. I do not have air bags and have had no problems but have considered installing them. I keep getting conflicting information about air bags and the trail air pin box. I have been told it's not a good setup because it effects handling. I run about 65PSI in my trail air and it handles so good I probably will not do air bags.Â*Â*
you cant have an air ride hitch and a air ride pin box together because they are both moving at the same time. The air lift bags and the air pin box works wonderfully together.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Piperguy, Vaughn did you work with the air adjustable on the tri-glide...I didn't have the air bags and at first I still had chucking and found you couldn't pay any attention to the arrows on the shock on the tri-glide....I found that the air pressure on mine was best at 63 lbs and that is when it is already hitched ...apparently when it is not sitting on the 5th wheel there is a difference in the weight because it is sittling on the front jacks ( which takes pressure off the triglide)...so air it up after you get rig loaded and work woth different pressures probably starting at 60 psi and then go up or down tile you find your best PSI... Idid go ahead and put tje Airlift 5000 bags on mine just for balance......
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #14

Atomant, Brad the instructions that came with my airlift 5000 bags said you had to remove the jouncebumpers ...Did yours say to leave yours on or put them back on after installing bags?
RW36FB
Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Site Team

Hi Royce

I'm running almost the same pressure as you in the hitch. Mine likes 60 lbs. As for the airbags, yes, the jounce bumpers have to come off. the newest version of Airbags has a jounce bumper built into the inside of the bag.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #16

Vaughn...I think that means you got the newest type bags with the jounce bumper incorporated? Was your original jounce just above the axle or more to the rear of the spring?
RW36FB
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Site Team

No, I decided to use the standard ones. I know someone else here on the forum posted that they had used the new ones with the internal bumper. On my 2012, the bumper had to come off as that is the area where the airbags mount. So far I am really happy with the Airlift bags and Remote control compressor system. I debated whether to spend the money for the compressor ............. wouldn't do it without it now that I have it. Makes it so easy to change the pressure up and down when you're not towing or change pressure while you are to try for a better ride.