Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #1

Towing questions

Hello Everyone,
We should be getting our truck in about 2 weeks. 2015 GMC 3500 DRW Duramax 6.6 L Turbo-Diesel with Allison 1000 Trans. We will be having a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch installed. A couple of questions have come up while going thru the forums. Do I need to be concerned about an air-lift system for the truck? Also what about a mor-ryde suspension system for the fiver? We are ordering a 38GK in about 5 months. Are these things we will figure out once we put the pieces together or should we plan on these modifications up front. Thanks in advance everyone for your advise...........Earl
LBOROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

I think the IS system is an aftermarket install no matter how you look at it, so might as well try it first. I don't think the factory will have IS installed.

Put disk brakes on your order list, much cheaper from the factory. In fact get everything you ever thought you might like on your factory order, as you will pay 3-4 times as much to have it added later.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

Earl,

The air-lift system for your truck is not essential but will help. The RW's are heavy, when you put the rig on your truck the truck will squat, the air-lift will help keep the truck from sagging.

Several of the folks on the forum are having their rigs retrofitted with the MorRide IS and all who have are very happy with the results. If you are planning to go with the IS I would suggest you not upgrade any of the RW suspension system except for the G-rated tires and the disc brakes [I think they can be used with the IS system].
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Chuck is correct ~ get the Disc brakes from RW fully compatible with the IS. IS is not available from Redwood (Lippert actually voids warranty on frame after install. All of us have decided to take our chances as Mor/Ryde will stand behind anything they do) . Only coach I am aware of that does the IS as a factory option is DRV. There were 5 of them at Mor/Ryde when we were there to get the final Laser alignment done. Was really impressed with the build quality on the DRV's that were there.

As Chuck said, Airbags will help with the squat, but even more than that with the violent up and down "chucking" when coming off a bridge. Between the bags, air hitch, and now the IS, we truly very seldom even feel any of the joints and dips that would have almost launched the rig before.

I have to remember it's behind me when on the road.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

ya-ya, Lippert voids the frame when Redwood drills the first hole in it according to Lipperts warranty policy. My warranty was over again when I installed a sewer hose tube to the frame, right? It's in the fine print.

I had trouble with a Lippert frame on my Keystone - Keystone covered mine along with ~10 billion or so others that had crummy welds from Lippert. The shop said I paid for a keystone unit and its covered by Keystone's warranty, not Lippert. Keystone and Lippert battle out the issues later. Mor-Ryde would cover any problem you had with the install or problem related to the install, but I bet push come to shove Redwood would cover anything beyond that until the warranty runs out.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #6

I have a 13 GMC 3500 dually & currently don't have air bags, but plan to install ASAP not for towing as much as empty. My truck has overload springs with about 2" of travel before hitting stops & that creates a harsh ride when unloaded. As far as loaded it only drops truck to level & only problem is bridge joints, wish DOT would learn how to transition those places without the huge jolt.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Danny ~ you'll love the bags. Unloaded ride is better and the difference going over bridge joints is amazing. There is one on 495 around Baltimore just after the Key Bridge that almost threw me through the roof when I first got the coach. After adding the Airbags it is just a large bump to be dealt with and now with the IS it almost isn't felt.

Same truck, same trailer, big difference with the bags. Play around with air pressure. Mine is like yours - sits level when loaded without the bags. I run about 5-6 lbs unloaded just to keep the bags inflated and vary between 45-60 when loaded depending on road roughness. Rougher roads get 55-60 lbs.

HTH
Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 AM   #8

Vaughan - couldn't agree more. Best money we spent getting bags installed.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #9

We have a 2014 Silverado 3500HD 4x4. We are on our first time out with our 38GK so I have only pulled it less than 100 miles, but was very impressed with how it tows with no air bags. Truck sits level hooked up. Chucking is there but not violent. This rookie will wait and get more experience before adding the airbags.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #10

Rookie?! Dang, man, drive it like you own it!
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #11

Towing

Thanks everyone for your help. I have arranged to have Air suspension added to my truck. I am going with Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/ compressor. Also I was doing more reasearch on the Mor-Ryde IS system. Called the company in Elkhart, Indiana and spoke with a rep. I was going to order 8000 lbs axles as an option on the fiver. The rep told me they are going to replace the axles when the IS system is installed. That being said I guess if you plan on upgradeing to the IS system no need to order the 8000 lbs axles. He did say they would use the disk brakes if they where there. Another question, Will I need additional wiring done for the disk brakes to work with my truck? Thanks for the help.....Earl
Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #12

Thanks Chuck,
I now understsnd why you said not to upgrade the axles. Earl
Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #13

Earl,
You shouldn't need any additional wiring to your truck. The servo for the disk brakes should accommodate any manufacturer brake controller, including the OEM type. You may have to set your brake controller to electric/hydraulic if that is an option (not an option on my older Ford OEM controller).

With that, I say "should" because I heard rumor Redwood changed brake systems. Mine is a Carlisle, which may not be the same system anymore.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

Based on everyone's input it sounds to me like if your going to upgrade to the IS system you may as well get everything stock on the RW rear suspension and head to Indiana and get'r done. I don't think there is much cost difference and everything is done at one time. I have been working on my order sheet for the fiver and it keeps changing. Everyone advise is greatly appreciated......Earl
Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #15

If it were me, I would probably find out what the Disk brake add is from Mor-Ryde, and what you would actually be paying the Redwood factory to do it after you include your discounted price from the MSRP option sheet. It may be cheaper through Redwood. Mor-Ryde would have to install the servo and module, route hydraulic lines back to the axles, terminate the electric lines, and connect the servo in the front cabinet. If Redwood did it, it wall all be ready.

Another thing to consider is who would warranty what after its done. That could sway the cost benefit one way or the other.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #16
Site Team

Kodiak disc brakes at Mor/Ryde are $3000.00. (And worth every penny if you don't have them)
Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #17

Danny ~ you'll love the bags. Unloaded ride is better and the difference going over bridge joints is amazing.

X2
Old 06-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #18

Redwood list price on disc brakes is $3000. So would be a little less thru Redwood.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #19
Site Team

I think they would be less through Redwood. Remember....all accessories added to the Redwood when ordering can be discounted through negotiations with the dealer.

We're not allowed to discuss pricing (actual price paid) on this forum but I do think it's safe to say that negotiations do take place when ordering a new unit.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #20

Dave, please excuse my ignorance, but what law prevents us from discussing actual prices paid, or is it a forum rule ( I apologize if I am not familiar with all forum rules). Thanks, just want to know limitations so I don't cross any lines.

Bob & Debbie with Meeko & Lucy
2014 F350, SC, LB 4X4, 6.7
2014 31 SL
USN retired, 31 years
"If it was easy, anybody could do it"
CV67Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote