Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 11
Towing a RW 3821RL

I am contemplating a new RW 3821RL. I have a 2017 Ford F-350 (4x4) the dealer is telling me my truck will pull it no problem which I am sure it will. However, how safe is it to be pulling a 15k trailer behind a SRW F350. I just bought this truck 10 months ago and donít feel like trading it in for a DRW. Are the Redwoods to much trailer for a SRW 350.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!
Rdelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Highcountrybarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 106
Based on comments I have heard over the years, 70% to 80% of Redwood owners tow with DRW. Many of them have towed SRW and say they were never comfortable and that the DRW is far more stable and much more relaxing to tow. I did the research and went DRW and have not regretted it for a moment. The only negative is parking and maneuvering when not towing and thatís not too bad.

Those that tow SRW say they are fine and it works for them. But on the other hand, I never heard anyone say that they towed DRW and went back to SRW.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdelling View Post
I am contemplating a new RW 3821RL. I have a 2017 Ford F-350 (4x4) the dealer is telling me my truck will pull it no problem which I am sure it will. However, how safe is it to be pulling a 15k trailer behind a SRW F350. I just bought this truck 10 months ago and don’t feel like trading it in for a DRW. Are the Redwoods to much trailer for a SRW 350.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!
To be honest not sure where the 15k weight is from, maybe empty weight, but you'll most likely NEVER be at 15k except on the tow home. Once loaded you'll be 16k+, depending on if you're part-time users or fulltime, with 25%+ of that as pin weight. Are your rear tires rated for that much? What payload does the SRW have? You'll need air bags, which DO NOT add payload, to level the truck. Be sure you have good LT 10 ply tires on the truck! Yes, you can tow it & lots of people do, the safety issue, for you & us, is your responsibility, so it's your decision!
The good part is you're not asking about a new F250 or wanting to use the new F150 3.6 EcoBoost that's the new tow beast! At least it's a 1 ton truck!!
__________________

Danny & Linda
Fulltimers since 2008
2013 Denali 3500 drw 4x4 d/a
2013 RW 36 FB black & tan (FOR SALE)
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,728
I tow my ď 16Ē 38RL with my ď15Ē F-350 SRW with no issues. I have the Morryde IS, discís and 17.5ís all on the Redwood. I am a bit over my GCVWR weights, but just under the tire and axle ratings...

I tow with NO fluids on board..

I have never felt that I was in any jeopardy while towing, no white knuckle driving...

At this stage, with us mostly staying within 4-5 hours of our house, and having more empty cabinets then full (not retired ). We will stay with the SRW..
__________________
2015 F-350
2016-38RL with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5 , F&P D/W , Whirlpool fridge , two awnings , Slide in Slide ,Pewter/Urban Clay in-Black & Silver out

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,739
I have towed our 36RL with both a F350 CC SB SRW and also with a F350 CC DRW with the Max Tow package. I traded an 8 month old SRW F350 that I loved and have never regretted it. The differ nice in towing feel and stability is night and day. If your only planning occasional use and fairly close to home like Joe and will commit to being very lightly loaded then you'll probably be ok.
If your planning on serious towing and a lot of miles and seeing the country - do a Dually hands down.
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I have towed our 36RL with both a F350 CC SB SRW and also with a F350 CC DRW with the Max Tow package. I traded an 8 month old SRW F350 that I loved and have never regretted it. The differ nice in towing feel and stability is night and day. If your only planning occasional use and fairly close to home like Joe and will commit to being very lightly loaded then you'll probably be ok.
If your planning on serious towing and a lot of miles and seeing the country - do a Dually hands down.

I am excited to get to the point that I NEED/WANT a DRW.. that would mean that I am done work and seeing the country , and NOT my office ! !! !
__________________
2015 F-350
2016-38RL with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5 , F&P D/W , Whirlpool fridge , two awnings , Slide in Slide ,Pewter/Urban Clay in-Black & Silver out

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 11
I am in the same situation you are. A few more years till I retire then a DRW would work fore me.

Do you find that a 40 footer is to big for travelingva few tones a year to Rv Parks for week long get aways?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I am excited to get to the point that I NEED/WANT a DRW.. that would mean that I am done work and seeing the country , and NOT my office ! !! !
Rdelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdelling View Post
I am in the same situation you are. A few more years till I retire then a DRW would work fore me.

Do you find that a 40 footer is to big for travelingva few tones a year to Rv Parks for week long get aways?
Absolutely NOT . . I think we may be at 25 nights so far this year, taking it for long weekends and such.. IF you want to spend your time in national Parks, that may become an issue, but for us, we mainly stay in RV resorts/Campgrounds. There is a campground about 3 hours from us that is a State Park, it has Water-Sewer-50amp, paved LONG sites, and is right on the water... That is the only state park we stay at.

It will all depend on your camping needs/wants.. I have probably have 10-15 or so years left before I retire... I am at the ripe old age of 54
__________________
2015 F-350
2016-38RL with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5 , F&P D/W , Whirlpool fridge , two awnings , Slide in Slide ,Pewter/Urban Clay in-Black & Silver out

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 645
We stared out with a 2008 F450 and recently switched to a 2018 F350 SRW. We are not full timers and travel light with the Trailer. I added air bags and heavy duty sway bars to the back of the new truck. So far I have not noticed any difference from the DRW the ride has been fine. If I was full timing I would go with the DRW but I also wanted a daily driver.
__________________

2015 RL38
2018 FORD F350 SRW
RWJSIM2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 11
We are now looking at the RW 3991 WB. We mostly stay at RV resorts and we do Dry Camp at one place on the coast but that is it. I just want to make sure that if my wife and I want to go on a multi state adventure for a few weeks of vacation we can.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Absolutely NOT . . I think we may be at 25 nights so far this year, taking it for long weekends and such.. IF you want to spend your time in national Parks, that may become an issue, but for us, we mainly stay in RV resorts/Campgrounds. There is a campground about 3 hours from us that is a State Park, it has Water-Sewer-50amp, paved LONG sites, and is right on the water... That is the only state park we stay at.

It will all depend on your camping needs/wants.. I have probably have 10-15 or so years left before I retire... I am at the ripe old age of 54
Rdelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.