Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #21

Back to the original question - can I tow it with a SWR? You need to lookl at your GRAWR, GVWR, GCVWR axle ratio, and how much you are going to carry. Figure a full tank of fuel, number of people in the vehicle, and what else you will have in the truck - dog, tools, etc. in the GVWR, and also, in spite of whst the dealer tells you, your pin weight will probably be in the 20% to 25% of loaded weight. Not a simple answer, but the calculations need to be done. I did this, and bought a dually.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #22

I've been pulling heavy 16K pounds 5ers with a 1 ton SRW for 8 years. It pulls and stops just fine. HOWEVER...it is a real struggle keeping within the trucks weight ratings. Darn near impossible as a full timer. The truck is paid for, so for now I'll keep it. But, my next truck will be a Dually, because I get about 1300 more GVRW...
dajoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #23

Towing A RW 3821RL

I've towed our 2013 36FB (MGVW 16,500) out west several times with a SRW 1 ton 2012 Ram with no problems. I had complete control with no "white knuckle" moments even in the mountains. I have a friend with a SRW Ford one ton and he had to add a helper leaf to his springs to level things off. I tow with a DRW F350 now but it is because I also have a large truck camper and the DRW adds stability.

Retired and happy
Mike & Lizzy
2013 36FB Black & Silver w/ 2018 F350 Lariat LWB DRW Powerstroke
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #24

I think this has been the most hotly debated topic on our forums for the last 5 years I've been on here. If someone really wants to tow it with a SRW, then that's what they're going to do. But I will tell you we have three or four members on here (myself included) that tried it for awhile, took stock of the truck rear axle and tire weights, and traded a perfectly good 1 ton SRW that was still under warranty on a DRW. The towing difference is night and day, and now the truck rear axle and tires are not overweight. All I need to say.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdelling View Post
This is not my first 5th wheel but it is my first Redwood. Any suggestions on upgrades needed, or is the trailer pretty stout as it sits. I have read a few threads about axle, tire, suspension, and brake upgrades. I hope they are not needed due to the price and reputation of the coach.

I am just looking for suggestions or options of things for our new coach. I will be installing airbags this weekend before I pick up the coach on the 7th.

Thanks and looking forward to our new adventures!!
Really good shock on the rear of the truck helps. My stock rancho (oem GM 3500 ) rode like a pig stick with the trailer , I diched to the stock shocks at 40,000 miles went to Bilstein 5100 models they where better but not good. Then I went to Fox with remote cans these where much better then the Bilstein. The stock style shocks could not control the trailer weight when crossed on and off bridges. So maybe the problem really is the trailer not having shocks . They are so long it likes to transfer an extra 1000 or so pounds on the hitch when your 5th hits the bridge joints. My current thinking is save my money and put Morryde IS in the trailer , Morryde has independent wheel travel and a shock on each wheel control arm. Pin box wise I have a flex air box , it does a ok job of controling front to back chucking but I think the Morryde box is going to give you the best ride ( less movement in the back of the truck). For me 36 gallons of fuel isn't enough, I feel you can only use 30 gallons safely so a extra tank in the bed is a must. Pulling into fill at your local center of town gas/ deisel station isn't a option when your 13'-4" and 70' long. Truck stops are your best option. At 9-10 mpg I can last longer the the truck ! I have 2 24 gallon tanks in front of the hitch I built. Not sure if it's not legal but we will tell. I have a small 20 gallon per hour pump that put it in the main tank with a switch in the cab to turn it on. I can run about 9 -12 hour on the fuel on board now. Wind and hills play a big roll on how far you can go. Strong head winds you may only get 5mpg at 60-65 mph!
XCMARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:11 AM   #26

I pull 13” 36rl with a 18 Chevy 3500 and haven’t had any issues! Allison in toe mode exhaust brake
No issues at all ! I had a 16 DRW that was great also
Just stiffer rear end! I also have 100 gallons of fuel in the bed ! Good luck
Facowee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdelling View Post
I am contemplating a new RW 3821RL. I have a 2017 Ford F-350 (4x4) the dealer is telling me my truck will pull it no problem which I am sure it will. However, how safe is it to be pulling a 15k trailer behind a SRW F350. I just bought this truck 10 months ago and don’t feel like trading it in for a DRW. Are the Redwoods to much trailer for a SRW 350.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!
I drive a 2012 F350 and pull a 2016 Refwood 38RL. I have pulled in the mountains of Colorado as well as a trip to Yellowstone from Texas. I've never had any concerns about my single axle.

The thing that I am contemplating is upgrading the brakes in my trailer but that is not associated with any concern regarding the single axle. My buddy drives and swears by his duel axel and perhaps there is a more stable ride, but for me it is neglible and not enough difference to purchase a new truck or have concerns about pulling my 38 RL.

Enjoy your travels!
Creede1! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #28

Being one who pulls our 2013 Redwood 36FB with a single screw HDT, I would typically be an advocate for recommending a small HDT with lots of weight, horsepower, and brake surface on the tow vehicle, in addition to the dual wheels that come standard on the drive axle of an HDT. in addition to a good strong jake brake, or engine braking system. But, the question is, do you or I really need to go to that extreme to pull our Redwood with?

In our case, the 36FB has an actual dry weight of 13,200 lbs and a GVWR of 16,200 lbs, as noted on the door sticker inside the cabinet. Thus giving us a payload of 3000K, which we all know is easy to accidentally exceed. Especially when fulltiming in one of these. If the 15,000 lbs weight rating on your 3821RL is the "Dry weight" rating and you add a payload of 3K, then I assume that your GVWR would be 18,000 lbs when loaded down with personal belongings, etc. Which for me would push me even more in the direction of a HDT, or at the very least a 350/3500 series with dual wheels on the drive axle. I know that although Redwood is building their line of 5ers to be more in the same class as your Tetons, Newmar 5ers, Peterson Industries, DRVs, (prior to the Thor acquisition) they are trying (especially since the Thor acquisition of Redwood) trying to build them light enough so that you can pull them with a 350/3500 Dually pickup verses an HDT. Part of that is achieved by building them on the lighter weight Lippert frames, which is my only dissapointment with my Redwood. But it is what it is, because its getting harder everyday to find a new 5er that isn't sitting on top of a Lippert.

Getting back to your question: So in the interim until you retire in a few more years, you do not plan on traveling a lot, and I assume, not be fulltime in your Redwood, Which usually means not packing as much into it in the way of personal belongings, would it be safe to pull your 3821RL with your current SRW drive pickup? On flat grades, almost anything would be able to pull it. Then comes the hill and mountains. That's when the extra weigh and horsepower of the 350 really begins to become important. Then you add rain, and in your case, you only have a footprint of 4-tires contacting that pavement and trying to control 15-18K behind them. Long as nothing goes wrong, chances are good your trip will be uneventful. But what about the unexpected panic stops or slowdowns? That's where the extra two tires really help with the stability and hopefully ability to maintain control of the 5er that know wants to run over you. But most importantly, what about an unexpected blowout on the tow vehicle, especially on a drive axle that you've added 3000 lbs plus to, (our 36FB's pin weight is 2900 lbs) even while traveling at 55 mph much less 65 mph? Note: We do not pull our Redwood over 65 mph, even with our HDT. Way too many roll over or loss of control accident pulling a fifthwheel RV with a single rear wheel equipped drive axle have occurred, resulting in the destruction of property (RV and tow vehicle) and injury and/or death to the occupants when it wasn't necessary.My wife and I have seem this way to often in both her career as an LEO, and our 15-years of operating our own specialized trucking company and traveling more than 2 million accident free miles throughout the US and Canada.

The ones who have towed their heavier 5ers with a SRW 350/3500s without incident are the lucky ones. The ones who have experience a drive axle tire blowout at 55-65 mph when pulling their 5er and maintained control of the rig are even the luckier ones, and I'm happy for all of them that nobody was hurt, and no property was damaged or destroyed. But imop, and based upon our own experience in dealing with high speed blowouts (commercially) in every tire position (drive, steer, trailer) whether on a short trip or long, you only get one chance when that tire blows of maintaining control of the rig. I was always thankful to have that second wheel on the ground next to the one that had just blown. Because I know first hand how much it aided in my ability to maintain control of the rig until I could safely slow it down and get parked on the shoulder of the road, or limp into a safe haven or tire shop on the remaining tire to get repaired. Rather than waiting hours on the side of the highway for a service truck to come, or having to change the tire myself. Just some more food for thought!
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #29

My apologies for all of the errors in my previous response to this thread. I had just woke up and not finished the first cup of coffee for the day. LOL Then I forgot to proof read it before posting the response. I also failed to add that years ago when faced with whether or not my 1966 Chevy pickup was safe enough to pull the gooseneck horse trailer w/living quarters in the front that I had upgraded to, JC Whitney had conversion kits to change out the single wheel setup on the drive axle to a dual wheel configuration. The kit included new drums with the extended lugs, spacer to go between the rims, the rims themselves, and fiberglass fenders to mount onto the bed to accommodate the wider dual wheels. It was a very easy and inexpensive conversion to do. I also added airbags to the rear drive axle, along with a spring stiffener to each spring which worked perfectly. I was amazed at the difference in stability afterwards when pulling that horse trailer down the highway! So, unless its that you just don't want to drive a dually except for when towing a trailer before you retire, and instead its simply that you don't want to get rid of the current truck so soon after having purchased it, I would consider a conversion to to this truck, to make pulling your Redwood safer.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hage View Post
My apologies for all of the errors in my previous response to this thread. I had just woke up and not finished the first cup of coffee for the day. LOL Then I forgot to proof read it before posting the response. I also failed to add that years ago when faced with whether or not my 1966 Chevy pickup was safe enough to pull the gooseneck horse trailer w/living quarters in the front that I had upgraded to, JC Whitney had conversion kits to change out the single wheel setup on the drive axle to a dual wheel configuration. The kit included new drums with the extended lugs, spacer to go between the rims, the rims themselves, and fiberglass fenders to mount onto the bed to accommodate the wider dual wheels. It was a very easy and inexpensive conversion to do. I also added airbags to the rear drive axle, along with a spring stiffener to each spring which worked perfectly. I was amazed at the difference in stability afterwards when pulling that horse trailer down the highway! So, unless its that you just don't want to drive a dually except for when towing a trailer before you retire, and instead its simply that you don't want to get rid of the current truck so soon after having purchased it, I would consider a conversion to to this truck, to make pulling your Redwood safer.
Like others on here I had a perfectly good 1 ton srw GM that I figured would handle our new redwood. Once loaded for full time my pin weight was 4200 lbs 17400lb trailer. I was over gvwr árear axle and tires. The truck pulled and stopped it fine. Having hauled heavy equipment with 44 years of having a class A CDL I new better than run this rig with the SWR. Someone got a wonderful truck when I purchased the DRW
Old 07-30-2018, 12:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Having hauled heavy equipment with 44 years of having a class A CDL I new better than run this rig with the SWR. Someone got a wonderful truck when I purchased the DRW

Now you've really got me confused Shane. I thought that the Class A CDL license to drive a commercial vehicle wasn't even required until the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and all other pertinent agencies made it a regulation April 1, 1992. Having started my commercial driving career on a Florida Chauffier's license before the CDL was even required. I then got my Class A CDL in 1995 after having taken a few years off from driving commercially. As I remember it, prior to the Chauffier's license, you pretty much drove a commercial vehicle on a standard drivers license. So that's why I'm not understanding the "with 44 years of having a class A CDL ..." when my CDL is only 23 years old and I got it three years after they became a requirement by law. Also, could you get a CDL at the age of 15? I see on your profile you are 59 years old. I thought the cut off age was eighteen or older to qualify for a CDL Help me here! LOL
Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Now you've really got me confused Shane. I thought that the Class A CDL license to drive a commercial vehicle wasn't even required until the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and all other pertinent agencies made it a regulation April 1, 1992. Having started my commercial driving career on a Florida Chauffier's license before the CDL was even required. I then got my Class A CDL in 1995 after having taken a few years off from driving commercially. As I remember it, prior to the Chauffier's license, you pretty much drove a commercial vehicle on a standard drivers license. So that's why I'm not understanding the "with 44 years of having a class A CDL ..." when my CDL is only 23 years old and I got it three years after they became a requirement by law. Also, could you get a CDL at the age of 15? I see on your profile you are 59 years old. I thought the cut off age was eighteen or older to qualify for a CDL Help me here! LOL
In Canada back in 78 0r 79 a class a or in this case class one was required for any vehicle over 26000 pulling a trailer. If it had air breaks a class 3 could be used with airbreak endorsement if combined weight was under 26000
Old 07-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #33

Towing a RW 3821RL

The 2017 F-350 has a box frame, whereas the prior models used a C-channel frame. That means more towing, weight capacity and stability. Even the short frames of the 2017's are longer by 6-8 inches, therefore; ride is better. We had owned a 2011 F-350 with installed air-lifts and a 3.55 differential and pulled a 2017 RW 36RL without any difficulties, but we were near maximum. We "full-time" more or less, in FL for 6 months as well as spend time in TX. We've been doing this for 6 years now. We also know how to pack efficiently and carry little liquid on board. Significant as well, we usually never exceed 63 mph and don't skimp on things like better tires, IS and disc brakes. We now own a 2017 F-350 with a 3.55 and ride has been perfected. That said, our truck is not dedicated to just towing our 5th, it is used for multiple other applications and I believe that is the key here. Typically those who strongly advocate the DRW, use it for towing and little more. DRW are significantly wider and longer beasts and when you winter in places where traffic is heavy and parking real estate is minimal, a large SRW can be challenging, let alone a behemoth like a DRW. I don't disagree that DRW have more pluses in towing, they're just not for everyone and I think your SRW '17 F-350 will be just fine.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #34

(QUOTE) Typically those who strongly advocate the DRW, use it for towing and little more. (QOUTE)
We are not typical on most anything!
A DRW has been our daily driver since Jan '05 & yes is a PITA in a lot of areas, New Orleans come to mind, but has not stopped us from going anywhere we choose, just park further away, & know we have e
plenty of truck to haul around our "home" behind us.
Do I wish at times for a smaller vehicle? Yes!
After hauling big 5ers with a dually for over 10 years, would I feel comfortable with a SRW? The windy areas we've been to & continue to go, NO!
I see pickups everyday hauling trailers that I know good & well they're way overweight, but they just keep trucking at 70+ mph down the interstates.
Unfortunately some manufacturers promote this, a light weight 1/2 ton with a turbo charged V6 is NOT designed to be a tow vehicle, but that's how it's being advertised & used daily.
This discussion is on EVERY forum, all the same opinions & hasn't been/never will be resolved.
If your buying a tow vehicle, do your own homework as far as weights, & then get what you want, it's your money!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #35

OK, I didn't realize your CDL is Canadian rather than US. Wasn't sure if you lived in Canada, or just traveled up from the US. I do know that the Canadians were on-board with requiring commercial driver the possess a Class 1 (similar to the US's Class A) license long before the US. In addition, if I remember correctly, the minimum age limit is lower in Canada. Lord knows, a lot of us started driving big rigs in our teens, with or without a commercial license, and we did just fine! Thanks for clearing up my confusion!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #36

Quote:
OK, I didn't realize your CDL is Canadian rather than US. Wasn't sure if you lived in Canada, or just traveled up from the US. I do know that the Canadians were on-board with requiring commercial driver the possess a Class 1 (similar to the US's Class A) license long before the US. In addition, if I remember correctly, the minimum age limit is lower in Canada. Lord knows, a lot of us started driving big rigs in our teens, with or without a commercial license, and we did just fine! Thanks for clearing up my confusion!
I am getting old and forgetful I had just turned 18 when I got the class 1 so my numbers were off a little
Old 08-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #37

I gave in and traded my truck tonight for a 2019 Ford F 350 Platinum Dually with 4:10 gears. Its big and wide but I’ll get used to it. Better safe than sorry!!
Rdelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #38

Well now you can quit worrying. Just watch those big hips on that thing.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #39
Site Team

Congratulations. Right choice. Take your time getting comfortable with it. Set your lower mirrors so you have a clear view of the rear tires. You will use these much more frequently than the big ones above them. When you turn a sharp corner, these are the ones you want to glance at to make sure the hips clear.
Also, and I can't think of a better way to put this, you will need to drive farther into a turn than you're used to - for instance, if your at a 90 degree right turn at an intersection, don't plan on turning into the near lane when you turn right. The rear wheels and fender will go over the curb. Pull straight out a bit and then turn.

It takes about 2 weeks to get fairly comfortable with hips. Oh, and plan on backing into parking spaces wh never possible. It's easier.

And last, be prepared to get more compliments on that truck than you ever got from any vehicle you've owned before !!

Good move. I'm the same as Shane above. Someone got a very nice 8 month old F350 SRW shortly after we got our Redwood. And I've never regretted it.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #40

Sounds beautiful! Waiting for pics...................
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote