Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #21

I have talked to several Folks who Double Tow who have asked LEOs about it and the general answer is that they have other Bigger Fish to go after. So for the most part if everything is properly licensed and all safety equipment in place you won't get bothered, BUT there is always that possibility.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #22

Years ago my in laws were traveling with friends towing a boat behind their travel trailer, which I don't think was legal then or now, & got stopped about 100 miles shy of the state line, don't remember which state, & had to leave the boat til they crossed tbe line & come back for it, they never towed it again after that trip.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #23

One of the things that helped swing my decision to buy the RW was that it had the 3K hitch on the back. I tow a RZR on a 10' aluminum trailer behind mine. It is very common here in Utah to see double tows.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
One of the things that helped swing my decision to buy the RW was that it had the 3K hitch on the back. I tow a RZR on a 10' aluminum trailer behind mine. It is very common here in Utah to see double tows.
Larry,
This is exactly what I will be doing. RZR on a 10 foot trailer. I live in Colorado and want to travel to Utah with my RZR, but worry about being over the 65 feet allowed in Utah. What is your total length? 70 feet is the max allowed here in Colorado.

Thanks,
Dan
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
Larry,
This is exactly what I will be doing. RZR on a 10 foot trailer. I live in Colorado and want to travel to Utah with my RZR, but worry about being over the 65 feet allowed in Utah. What is your total length? 70 feet is the max allowed here in Colorado.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,

I just looked it up and officially it is 65 feet. That said, I see all kinds of rigs double towing with boats etc. I have never seen or heard of anyone having been pulled over because of this and I am sure many of them are over. My friend pulls a 14 footer behind him with a four seat Wildcat and has had no issue either.

I tow with a Crew Cab long bed truck.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #26

There is a regular flow of triple tows with boats out of Colorado to Lake Powell in Utah including us at one time @ over 76'. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble, at least that far west into Utah.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:52 AM   #27
Site Team

Well - the journey so far has been through all the east coast states from Maryland to Florida. Both on Interstates and rural highways, troopers and local LEO. Nobody gave us a second look other than the two that gave me a thumbs up.

Have been in some tight spots, one that I had to drop car so I could back up and get out of (takes 2 minutes to drop car and pull away, same to hook up).
Am I happy with results ? A resounding yes. Looking forward to exploring Tampa and mobile and New Orleans it's a small car and not a Dually.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #28
Site Team

Thought I'd post a quick update. Have now been along th Gulf Coast as far as New Orleans on both interstates and also US 90 through towns. No officials give us any interest including local and State. More interest from other RV'ers and from every campground "expert" who tells me I'm going to get ticketed and how unsafe the rig is. The last one that told me that was towing a big Voltage Toy Hauler with a F250. I politely mentioned that he might want to run through a CAT scale and let me know how overweight he was and then we would talk about my rig that isn't and guaranteed will out brake him.

Picture is the "fleet" at Topsail Hill State Park in Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1335.jpg (407.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #29

I showed your picture to my wife and told her I want to start towing her little KIA Soul behind the RW. The look she gave me was not good. If I was going long distance and staying in one spot for a longer period I would have not issue pulling a small car behind. When pulling 4 down you most likely don't even know it is there. Well that is until you turn a corner and see it in the mirror
Old 02-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #30
Site Team

Only way I can tell it's behind us is to look in camera or see it in a turn. Mpg penalty is .5 mpg, I'll take the trade off to have it with us.

The Kia Soul was one I looked at seriously but it's only flat towable if manual trans. Focus is approved by Ford either trans. And it weighs the right amount.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #31

We use to tow a KIA Soul (Manual Trans) behind our MH for years it was a great little toad. It had the 2.0 Turbo engine with 6 speed manual was fun to drive.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #32

I'm shocked anyone gave you grief Vaughan. Come Fridays around here in the summer, half the fivers on the highway have a boat or ATVs in the back.

I'm really trying to get my daughter to put her Rubicon behind the Bighorn.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I'm really trying to get my daughter to put her Rubicon behind the Bighorn.
So you can go 4 wheelin' when you get to the campground?! 😂😂😂
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #34

Good deal and great setup !
I too looked into it to tow a golf cart behind us when we had the RW, but never got that far into it...

I would think the turns would not be an issue at all since the rear overhang swing of the 5er will 'pull' the car toward the outside of the turn making it clear easily.

How about when you got through extreme dips or crest, does it raise or lower the hitch too far ?
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #35
Site Team

Brad - here on the East Coast I'm a novelty. A few states here, especially in the far northeastern US are definitely not "double friendly". Or so I'm told. I had a number of people tell me that as soon as we pulle onto any major roadway in New York we would be stopped, fined and made to drop the tow. Hmmm .... had two NY Troopers pass us and one waved. Maybe I was supposed to pull over and misread that. Lol

So far, even in heavy traffic on US 98 along the beach in the Gulf it's been no problem. Local and Sheriff don't even pay us any attention. What cracks me up is the so-called self proclaimed experts who tell me how unsafe the rig is and how I'm going to lose my license, etc. I can say that after having to climb all over the brakes the other day and even swerve from one lane to the other, it was a non-issue stopping and controlling the rig. The SMI brake system is acknowledged to be top of the heap and I understand why.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
So you can go 4 wheelin' when you get to the campground?! 😂😂😂
uh....yes.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #37
Site Team

John - no issues with the tow hitch so far over any bumps. And yes, if the trailer clears a turn there is no issue with the car as it tracks inside the trailer arc.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
Larry,

Thanks,
Dan

We live in Colorado. We tow our Jeep Wrangler behind our RW. We have towed a jeep behind a 5th wheel around here for about 10 years. (1st our Montana and now the RW). Our length passes the limit, but like others have said... as long as you are driving safe, no one seems to care. At this point if we got a ticket, the amount we have saved in fuel would far outweigh the cost of the ticket.

Interestingly, we have never had any law enforcement seem to care about our set up. However... we often pull into a campground to have someone "share their wealth of wisdom" on why we should not be towing behind our 5th wheel.

A big part of our decision to purchase our RW was the frame and also the hitch in the back. We have loved this decision to tow.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #39
Site Team

Lisa - I've started answering the "campground professionals who know" by asking them what they have. If the answer is a fifth wheel, my next question is what do they tow it with and what does it weigh with a CAT Scale ticket ? Haven't had one yet that actually had theirs weighed. I then mention that if they don't have any idea what their rig actually weighs and how safe they are, how can they possibly critique me ? I have CAT scale tickets for both the rig and the car. Add them together and I'm under GCWR.

Am I over length ? In my home state no,but in others yes. As you said LEO's have had no interest in us at all and that is on the East Coast where any number of people predicted direly that " you won't make it through the state before you're stopped, ticketed, and made to unhook". So far the only issue we've had is that EZ Pass doesn't quite know what to do with the tolls. I have one in the truck that is a truck and trailer one nd also have one in the car that is car only. Just got my statement and that's the way they charged it going through two tunnels and a bridge.

Like you said, we've only had it with us for a few months now and even Tracy said she can't picture not having it now. 35-40 mpg and able to fit in almost all small parking places is great !
Old 02-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #40

Vaughan, that is funny about the tolls. Years ago when we had our one and only toll road, I got hit for $80 before I reached the turnoff for the lake. The truck is 1, and each axle 1 more, so 5 vehicle equivalents each toll station for the truck, 5er, and boat.

Now with a tag I'm always 2, the Jeep makes it 4, PLUS they charge the Jeep transponder on the Jeep account in addition to it's axles on the MH account, so 5 vehicle equivalents once again. I have to be real tired of traffic before I use them anymore. Unfortunately those highway pirates are gaining ground one me, as Colorado keeps selling their souls to the expresstoll and they are springing up everywhere.