Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Tonneau Cover Question

We are still very new at this since we just traded in our class A for a fifth wheel so as always I appreciate any info.
We just installed the B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch with the B&W 20000lb. Companion so that part is finished. Now my question is, with all the experience here. What would be my best option for a cover? I have the factory Ford snap on one but it needs to be replaced and not the easiest to take off and put on.
I have been looking at the folding section ones and also the roll up ones??? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help, Steve
Old 11-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

Or you talking about a hitch cover or a bed cover ?
I looked at a hitch cover and decided that I would be better served with a bed cover...
the old out of sight, out of mind thingy to keep my expensive slider hitch in the bed

I have experience with the Ford supplied roll up cover that I really don't like, but it came on the truck, so it's still there (so far)

On my previous truck, I wasn't sure what I wanted so I opted for a Tonno-Pro trifold - ended up being my final solution on that truck and stillhave it in the storage building! fold it up 2/3's of the way and could still tow the 5er...

I just never have had the need to go any further with any other cover as these served the purpose...

On another note, maybe in another thread...
curious why you guys decided to go from a MH to a 5er ? Can you give us some insight into that decision ?

Issues with the MH itself ? or with the idea of a MH? thanks in advance !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Steve,

I don't have a cover yet but the one I'm probably going to get is a Fold-a-Cover. A good friend has one and is very happy with it, opens front and back and doesn't interfere with fifth-wheel towing.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

I have the Truxedo cover and I love it. I roll it up and removed the B & W companion when I to haul big items. About a year I watch another fifth wheel pull in and set-up, set before they headed off to town they carried out a hard Tonneau cover and installed on their truck. I talked to them later and they were hauling the cover on their bed. I thought that was pretty cool, however I like the ease of just being able to roll up the cover if I am out and buy this big unexpectedly. You know like a 4 wheeler, snowmobile, antique tractor parts.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Team

I had a three section folding hardcover on the last truck. Was ok, but folding it got pretty heavy with the last section and with a shoulder issue I looked further for the current truck.

Have a Roll n Lock hard cover on this one and couldn't be happier with it. A bit on the upper end dollar wise but love the ability to turn two keys and lock securely everything in the bed. When towing, it covers the three tubs I keep in the bed with emergency supplies, diesel additive, compressor, etc.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the info and I have been thinking more in the lines of a roll up so will explore that more.
First question was why did we get out of a MH.... well we were ready to upgrade since ours was a 2006. No problems but just getting a bit outdated. The $'s it would cost to get what we wanted in a MH was more then our house cost so once we saw the floor plans of the 5th wheel units we were hooked. Only problem then was that we needed a truck. It's all working out well so far.

Steve
Old 11-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #7

I plan on a hard retractable cover. Just need the time to get it done and I want it locked back there. I just need to make sure it doesn't cover my bed rail tie downs.

Note - My Reese hitch is at the lowest setting and I think it will make it under the cover - I'm not sure about that B&W.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

When I bought my truck I bought an Advantage cover. It folds twice over a stationary piece. I hated it I couldn't get to my tool box against the back wall. I put up with it for a few months and then bought a backflip. It folds four times and will stand against the window in the truck giving me access to my tool box. The handle for the Reese hitch fits under it when the head is tilted horizontally. I've got this one the whole season with the RW and it works perfect. I bought more than a few from http://tonneaucoversworld.com
Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

We have a JackRabbit retractable, it's okay but think there are better retractables out there. The biggest problem with the retractables is you loose some space in the front of the box. That's where different brands require different amounts of space. Ours still gives room for an in-bed tool box and two 6 gallon fuel containers in front of the hitch. As for the release handle, just pulled the pin on our Reese and turned it 180 so the handle is down in the bed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #10

On my GMC there is no problem covering the B & W and I have it set on the highest position for clearance. I liked the retractable idea, but with the auxiliary fuel tank it was not an option for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We have a JackRabbit retractable, it's okay but think there are better retractables out there. The biggest problem with the retractables is you loose some space in the front of the box. That's where different brands require different amounts of space. Ours still gives room for an in-bed tool box and two 6 gallon fuel containers in front of the hitch. As for the release handle, just pulled the pin on our Reese and turned it 180 so the handle is down in the bed.
Thats why I want to go with a folding cover, don't want to lose storage in the front of the bed.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Thanks for the info and I have been thinking more in the lines of a roll up so will explore that more.
First question was why did we get out of a MH.... well we were ready to upgrade since ours was a 2006. No problems but just getting a bit outdated. The $'s it would cost to get what we wanted in a MH was more then our house cost so once we saw the floor plans of the 5th wheel units we were hooked. Only problem then was that we needed a truck. It's all working out well so far.

Steve
I've got a tri-fold vinyl cover, and it works great. I hate the roll up vinyl covers. Fold it back 2/3rds, and there is plenty of room for hooking up your RV. Like stated above though, you lose some storage next to the cab, except for smaller items, like wood, or other small things.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #13

I have the Extang solid fold (1/3rds) and my B & W hitch fits underneath> My B & W is fitted into the Ford puck system, but I can close my cover completely with the hitch in and there is about 4-5" clearance.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:19 AM   #14

I have a retrax retractable bed cover.Its a very nice bed cover but you give up about a foot of your bed space.It locks in any position.
Donhutch1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 AM   #15

I have an Extang Tri-fecta. It's vinyl and folds into thirds. It is very easy to remove if needed.

Mark
Old 11-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #16
Site Team

As I put in the above post, I have a Roll nLock hard bed cover. My hitch is a Reese 25k in the Ford factory mounts. Put a bungee cord on the handle to hold the hitch down horizontal and everything clears. In front of the hitch I have 3 large storage tubs and my single step aluminum stool to reach the hitch. When towing I pull the cover closed to the first position and everything up front is covered.

Very, very happy with it.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #17

I am also looking at the roll n lock. I have a B&W Companion and it will fit underneath fine.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #18

When I win the lottery I want the Retrax Pro, parked next to a fellow with one & wow was it nice.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #19

OK..... thanks again for all the info and I think I have made my choice and will order one soon. I am going with the Extang Solid-Fold. It looks to me that I will end up with about 2-3 inches to my hitch.

Steve
Old 11-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #20

^Extang makes a great product. I wish I had went back with them, but I let 75 bucks savings persuade me to a Rugged Cover. My new cover is nice, but it isn't 75 dollar savings nicer than the Extang. The Extang is much better quality.