Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 AM   #41

It can be lifted out in one piece but it is heavy, I think it weighs a little over 200 lbs total. The Coupler comes off the base easily so that makes it possible for one person, but the base is still heavy so I will always try to lift it with 2 people so my back won't hurt like is does right now
ffbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #42

uh oh!

Eventually I'll replace this truck with the new, and will get the prep. I looked at the B&W hitch and wondered if I could even lift it out! Not that I do it very much, but try to run the winter without it just to keep the weather off it.

I used to just suspend the hitch on the pin and raise it out of the truck and leave it hanging, but that seemed like almost as much work to get it reconnected.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #43

They are not bad if you break them into two pieces. When I do leave mine in the bed, I put a generator cover on it with 2 bungee cords wrapped around to keep the weather off of it.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #44

That's what bed covers are for !!!!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #45

Kinda why I like the adapter and the 20K. The hitch is not too heavy and the adapter is about 50#. Still a two piece job. Also, with the adapter, I can remove the 20K and pop in a gooseneck plate to haul a 4 horse slant, or a flat gooseneck with the backhoe.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
That's what bed covers are for !!!!
Yep, and I STILL dont have that Pace Edwards!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #47

I've ordered a Crew Cab Ram 3500 dually (2WD) as a chassis cab, and finally settled on a Knapheide Westerner utility body: it sits only about an inch higher (39") than the same truck configured as a pickup bed, but the side tool boxes should be 6 or 7 inches lower than a pickup box. Not only do I want the additional storage the utility body offers, but I'd like to avoid all the problems those high pickup rails seem to cause people. I've read about all the troubles which 2014 Ram owners are having getting a hitch installed, and I'm hoping to avoid these too. My local Knapheide body distributor assures me that they'll install a 20 or 22K Reese with no trouble; my RW dealer prefers the Pull Rite. I called Pull Rite this morning; they say that they can't deliver a hitch for me because they don't have the adapters yet. I made sure that I clearly explained that I wasn't getting a pickup box with the factory 5er hitch prep package, and that this would be a custom install on essentially a flatbed frame; she said that there was no way to make any of their hitches work. So I guess I'll have to trust my Knapheide upfitter to know what he's doing: while they don't have much call to install 5er hitches, and not on this body, they have done a few dozen of them and hundreds of goose neck installations (they've been around over fifty years). I'm getting nervous, but don't have the $$$ to get a Classy Chassis tow body. It's hard to believe that I'm breaking new ground here. We measured the pin of the GK at 44" off the ground, level, so I don't think I'll need a low-profile hitch, but I'd sure appreciate the input of anyone who has done something similar.
Hope this helps, but I'd call them yourself: 800-443-2307
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #48
Traveling

the irony being that the truck that came out with the biggest towing and hauling capacity cannot do its job because nobody made a hitch to fit it! Needless to say it is a little frustrating.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
the irony being that the truck that came out with the biggest towing and hauling capacity cannot do its job because nobody made a hitch to fit it! Needless to say it is a little frustrating.
A LITTLE frustrating?!? Welcome to the realities of the twenty-first century! It seems that should wait for new systems to prove themselves for several years before purchasing anything, if we can - but that's probably always been true. All we can really do is adjust our perspective and expectations, I guess.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #50
Traveling

YES. I got a call this morning from my service dept from the RW Dealership (GOLD STAR, by the way! Let's give them credit for follow up) and wanted to confirm that our hitch will be in their shop on the 5th. We have heard so much (and experienced first hand) about how difficult the 2014 RAM hitch issue is, I think I will go and pick it up, even though my coach hasn't arrived yet. I don't want ANYONE to take my HITCH!! LOL!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #51

After determing our Redwood model and features I then worked with Ford on the truck selection. Ford preferred the Reese Elite 18K removable hitch. Steel under bed support rails were supplied by Reese and installed by Ford. I also had Redwood install the Trail Ride air loaded king pin. Working with Ford, Redwood and Reese resulted in a very smooth and easy to tow combination. The $5K was worth the effort.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #52

RAM update: my Knapheide dealer called yesterday to tell me that NO hitch manufacturer made adapters or brackets to fit a cab chassis frame; it's eight inches more narrow than the frame that is used for the pickup box model. (not that it matters - those brackets aren't available!) So I asked the service manager, "So how does someone like Classy Chassis mount a hitch to one of their bodies? They must have to fabricate the brackets." He agreed, and said he'd talk with the shop guys - their shop is certified to do work like this. I asked him to also check with the owner, to be sure that they'd stand behind any liability issues. Half hour later - Done and Done. So we're back on track with a plan. Who knew it would be this problematic to mount a hitch on a truck? I feel likeit trying to do something never done before. BTW, I'll try posting a pic of what this rig will look like if we ever get it built. I'd better - if December comes and my wife is retired, the house is sold, and I don't have a TV ready to go, my life is going to get ... difficult. :-)
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #53

A friend of mine just had a B&W turn over gooseneck hutch put on a 14' ram cab and chassis. Not sure if he had to modify or not. If that is available you could then just get their 5th wheel hitch that goes in the ball slot.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
RAM update: my Knapheide dealer called yesterday to tell me that NO hitch manufacturer made adapters or brackets to fit a cab chassis frame; it's eight inches more narrow than the frame that is used for the pickup box model. (not that it matters - those brackets aren't available!) So I asked the service manager, "So how does someone like Classy Chassis mount a hitch to one of their bodies? They must have to fabricate the brackets." He agreed, and said he'd talk with the shop guys - their shop is certified to do work like this. I asked him to also check with the owner, to be sure that they'd stand behind any liability issues. Half hour later - Done and Done. So we're back on track with a plan. Who knew it would be this problematic to mount a hitch on a truck? I feel likeit trying to do something never done before. BTW, I'll try posting a pic of what this rig will look like if we ever get it built. I'd better - if December comes and my wife is retired, the house is sold, and I don't have a TV ready to go, my life is going to get ... difficult. :-)
Alan,

They aren't all that challenging. Similar to Bob, we had Ford install the frame under the bed during build and bought a Reese 25K Elite, which came fully assembled. About 30 secs later it was installed.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Alan,

They aren't all that challenging. Similar to Bob, we had Ford install the frame under the bed during build and bought a Reese 25K Elite, which came fully assembled. About 30 secs later it was installed.
Well, it SHOULDN'T be all that challenging, but now that my body up-fitter has agreed to make the modifications, I hope that all goes more smoothly. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
A friend of mine just had a B&W turn over gooseneck hutch put on a 14' ram cab and chassis. Not sure if he had to modify or not. If that is available you could then just get their 5th wheel hitch that goes in the ball slot.
I suspect that he's had to modify, the same as we will. Reese, Pull Rite and B&W haven't released the brackets for the under-bed Ram pickup beds yet, and don't plan to for the cab chassis frames (8" more narrow), so modification/ fabrication of those brackets is a necessity in this case. But my DOT certified up-fitter is willing to make the parts and assume liability for his work, so I believe it will all turn out well. For me this is worth the effort: this body will give me about 40 cu.ft. of lockable storage space, while a pickup box offers none.http://www.knapheide.com/product/wes...bodies/gallery
Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #57
Traveling

So, here it is, quite possibly the most sought-after hitch in America right now :-\
We got it installed the other night. If anyone in the Pacific Northwest is trying to find one, my parts guy SAYS he can get more and to send them to him! Says he will ship anywhere. I reminded him that the shortage was not for a SUPER long time, only a few weeks, and not to get TOO excited!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #58

That looks great !! How does it "lock" into the puck holes ??
Is there a lever and locking pin or something ??

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #59
Traveling

Thanks. It was a little more work than I had anticipated putting it together and as others have said, it's VERRRRY heavy!! I will not be hauling it out of the truck unless Hubs is around (I was able to get the Reese out on my own if need be). If you look at the picture, you can see the single lever on each "puck" with a black-capped lever. You simply rotate it and it locks with a pin. Very easy to put in (if you are HERCULES).
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Thanks. It was a little more work than I had anticipated putting it together and as others have said, it's VERRRRY heavy!! I will not be hauling it out of the truck unless Hubs is around (I was able to get the Reese out on my own if need be). If you look at the picture, you can see the single lever on each "puck" with a black-capped lever. You simply rotate it and it locks with a pin. Very easy to put in (if you are HERCULES).
Congrats ... Better weld it in so that guys like me don't steal it! :-)