Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #21

Yep Rob...the turning radius of the truck has more than once created some "hold your breath" moments. However, they do the job we need them to do!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #22

Just a though - the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) IS THE MOST IMPORTANT number. With certified scales, then doing the GCWR calculation then comparing with your TV's GCWR specification could be most helpful in answering the question on what is best for your RV's tow vehicle selection. My 12,400 pound RW, as weighed by he Escapees Club, at last year's rally had my 2012 F350 SWD 6.7 L crew cab short bed Lariat overloaded by 1,200 pounds using the Lariat's GCWR specification. I now have a 2016 3500 Silverado High Country DWD, long bed 6.6 L diesel which provides about 1,500 pounds under the Silverado's GCWR. Just saying.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
Just a though - the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) IS THE MOST IMPORTANT number. With certified scales, then doing the GCWR calculation then comparing with your TV's GCWR specification could be most helpful in answering the question on what is best for your RV's tow vehicle selection. My 12,400 pound RW, as weighed by he Escapees Club, at last year's rally had my 2012 F350 SWD 6.7 L crew cab short bed Lariat overloaded by 1,200 pounds using the Lariat's GCWR specification. I now have a 2016 3500 Silverado High Country DWD, long bed 6.6 L diesel which provides about 1,500 pounds under the Silverado's GCWR. Just saying.
I find it very hard to believe that you exceeded your GCVWR for your 2012 F350. I have a 2011 F350 crew cab, longbed, srw and the GCVWR is 23,500 lbs. My truck and 31SL weigh in at 21,240 lbs, still almost 2300 lbs below the GCVWR. The standing weight of my 31 SL is 13,180 lbs. My pin weight is 2400 lbs and my GAWR rear is 6,290lbs. The rear axle weighed in at 5,750 with 31SL attached and full of fuel and wife and me inside the cab, well within limits. Am I reading something wrong on my end? Just making sure I'm figuring things correctly.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:26 AM   #24

The GCWR is different than GCWVR. I agree with you that my Lariat should have been fine and was disappointed with myself (retired engineer) in missing a critical detail- GCWR . The experience with the Escapees Club's weigh-in had me digging into much more detail. As the Lariat was over four years old but young in mileage (28,000 miles) I started shopping much better armed. As one noted here you would think my new Silverado 3500 High Country DWD diesel could pull a house off of it's foundation, maybe a couple of houses . The GCWR data says otherwise. There is just enough muscle to pull my RW with two passengers in the truck and some stuff in the RV and not much else. The Escapees Club has a form for calculating GVCR and is very detailed. It is worth the effort to go through the exercise. Thankgoodness our new High Country fits the garage with walk around room with the garage door closed else a MH was going to be in our future. In a major accident state police measure the GCWR. It has to be at or under else things get ugly and insurance most likely will be denied.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
Old 05-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #25

Good info RCAircraft.
Besides the obvious of springs being flat or tires looking beyond the limits. There's no real way to know what weight your at on the rear axle without doing calculations.
Uramillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:23 AM   #26

Last year at the Rally was my first weigh in and we had a 2011 Ford F-350 at the time. No names but he said we were quite a bit over weight and should do something quick. Well... being a newbie towing a RW I got pretty stressed out that day and did some research. He actually had my owners manual in hand to confirm the truck weights....... Well, what the professional or though I thought had missed was the diesel supplement book that put me way under my max towing weight.
Always do some research as the pro's are not always correct.

Steve
Old 05-27-2016, 03:44 AM   #27

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
We always park in the "lower 40" when shopping. Less chance for damage to the truck, and the walk does us good. However, on a windy Texas day, had a shopping cart (that someone was too lazy to put in the corral) fly across the parking lot and put a nice dent in one of the rear fenders. Then had a youngster put a matching dent on the other side when he crashed his bicycle into the truck. I think those big fenders must act like big magnets.

Bob
X2 on that. I love my dually. Handles my RW with ease, and I just park it far away from everybody. I've had my truck for over a year, and no dents yet.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Last year at the Rally was my first weigh in and we had a 2011 Ford F-350 at the time. No names but he said we were quite a bit over weight and should do something quick. Well... being a newbie towing a RW I got pretty stressed out that day and did some research. He actually had my owners manual in hand to confirm the truck weights....... Well, what the professional or though I thought had missed was the diesel supplement book that put me way under my max towing weight.
Always do some research as the pro's are not always correct.

Steve
Great advice on the diesel supplement handbook. It is a must read for towing data.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Well it looks like we chased poor Darryl away with the dually talk