Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

I have a short bed Dodge and was wondering if I will need a slider hitch? The front cap on the Redwood looks like it can accommodate a short bed?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrownstein
I have a short bed Dodge and was wondering if I will need a slider hitch? The front cap on the Redwood looks like it can accommodate a short bed?

According to the Redwood folks a short bed will work on these trailers most of the time. I sure hope they do because I have a short bed too. With that said, we have to remember that with a short bed we have to be careful of not turning too tight while backing in and the angle of the trailer verses the truck from the uneveness of the ground.

So we can back up without a slider but not in a 90* turn which is hard on the trailer anyway. I'm not going to uses a slider, I opted for the B/W companion. I SURE HOPE IT WORKS!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

I opted for the slide hitch just in case I ever need it. I've used the slide to hook up with my tailgate down a couple of times when I was unable to back straight in with the truck. With the tailgate down and coming in at maybe a 15-20 degree angle the corner of the tailgate is within an inch of hitting the front of the trailer. If you are planning on leaving your factory tailgate on you will want to be careful. I believe RW claims you can turn up to 87 degrees in a shortbed. I don't plan on field testing that number.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder
I opted for the slide hitch just in case I ever need it. I've used the slide to hook up with my tailgate down a couple of times when I was unable to back straight in with the truck. With the tailgate down and coming in at maybe a 15-20 degree angle the corner of the tailgate is within an inch of hitting the front of the trailer. If you are planning on leaving your factory tailgate on you will want to be careful. I believe RW claims you can turn up to 87 degrees in a shortbed. I don't plan on field testing that number.

That's a good point
Old 03-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

Most of the newer 5er are what they call "Short Bed Friendly" with an 87-88 degree turn radius, but remember that's in a perfect world, while a majority of sites will be ok, there can be that "One Time" and your attention slips while trying to angle in and "POP" and I don't mean the weasel.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrownstein

According to the Redwood folks a short bed will work on these trailers most of the time. I sure hope they do because I have a short bed too. With that said, we have to remember that with a short bed we have to be careful of not turning too tight while backing in and the angle of the trailer verses the truck from the uneveness of the ground.

So we can back up without a slider but not in a 90* turn which is hard on the trailer anyway. I'm not going to uses a slider, I opted for the B/W companion. I SURE HOPE IT WORKS!

I know virtually everyone on here has a lot more experience with 5th wheels than I do. I think what you are saying is true for ideal, level conditions, but, you will need to be really careful turning on sites that are not level. The cab on a short bed truck can and will be a lot closer to the nose of the trailer when turning on a site that's not level.

I opted for a long bed truck because I did not want to spend the extra money for a good slider 5th wheel hitch. The main problem that I have seen so far is that thebottom of the pin box gets too close to the truck bed rails on anearly 90 degree turn on level ground. I could not come close to a 90 degree turn on non level ground. My hitched truck and trailer are nearly level on level pavement.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

I guess if I had a short bed truck I would go for a slider hitch just because i know my luck. Edited by: KR2011

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
M&K

When I brought my Redwood home from Texas to SD (1250 miles) I used a friends 3/4 ton Duramax short box, it pulled great and no problem with it hitting cab, but i did very little backing. But having said that I agree with the previous post I know when not to push my luck and am putting a pullrite super glide in my F350 short box wnen it comes in. It's only money HA HA. Take Care
M&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

I have the comapnion and I really like it. I have been towing personally and for a dealer for years. I have had only one time that I ever needed a slider. I was pulling on ooooollllllllldddddd coachmen 5er with the hitch pin straight down. I have always said that if you are in a place that you have to jack-knife the unit you are in the wrong place. Forget showing off, I pull forward and get back under the unit as many times as I need to.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

Happy Camper that's the way to do it.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #11

I went with the Companion 24k with the custom frame mount. it was only $56.00 more than the 20k, but has a 6,000lb pin rating compared to 4,000lb for the 18k & 20k hitch. got the old hitch out. snow and cold weather are not helping with installing the new one.

Lillyputz
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper
I have the comapnion and I really like it. I have been towing personally and for a dealer for years. I have had only one time that I ever needed a slider. I was pulling on ooooollllllllldddddd coachmen 5er with the hitch pin straight down. I have always said that if you are in a place that you have to jack-knife the unit you are in the wrong place. Forget showing off, I pull forward and get back under the unit as many times as I need to.
Thanks for that information..I'm in line to get a Companion but was worried that i'd be making a mistake not getting a slider.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #13

It is really a matter of your comfort level on towing.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Site Team

I talked with the dealer today and asked if they've had any problems so far with short bed trucks. He said they didn't see the need for a slider and he could have made more money off of me by saying something different. I'll watch it, but in my previous life I drove big trucks across the country so I'm not new to pulling things in some very tight places. I think I'll be ok without the slider...if not I'll get the truck fixed and buy one then.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #15

Dave now your thinking straight Edited by: KR2011

Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Site Team

They wanted to give me $46500 for my truck that I paid $63 for 11 months ago (and I have $2000. in accessories). I've only have 30,000 miles on the truck and I love it. I'm just not in the mood to fight with them...I could probably put a deal together but my mind is on the Redwood.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #17

Dave just try it first and if you want to do something to improve your truck just call me we'll set you up right, I mean it in all seriousness.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Dave just try it first and if you want to do something to improve your truck just call me we'll set you up right, I mean it in all seriousness.
Ok thanks