Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #1

Reffer vs. Tractor vs. Diesel #2

I'm new to the world of Diesel trucks and pulling a 42' RV for that matter and am wondering about what type of diesel I can us.

I've pulled into a few Pilot, T/A and Flying J truck stops, taken the path of least resistance and gone around to the truck pumps since I was pulling.

When I put in the card to pay at the pump it asked if I wanted Refer or Tractor fuel. Being clueless I canceled and continued my journey down the road.

The information I can get from Google is that refer is for the fridges behind the semi, doesn't have road tax and is died red and the tractor is "Diesel #1".

Never heard of #1 diesel, any idea if I can use any of this in my F350?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
I'm new to the world of Diesel trucks and pulling a 42' RV for that matter and am wondering about what type of diesel I can us.

I've pulled into a few Pilot, T/A and Flying J truck stops, taken the path of least resistance and gone around to the truck pumps since I was pulling.

When I put in the card to pay at the pump it asked if I wanted Refer or Tractor fuel. Being clueless I canceled and continued my journey down the road.

The information I can get from Google is that refer is for the fridges behind the semi, doesn't have road tax and is died red and the tractor is "Diesel #1".

Never heard of #1 diesel, any idea if I can use any of this in my F350?
the deal is road tax. If you put refer fuel in its off road diesel (yes for the refrigerator units on the trucks) and has no road tax and is dyed red and illegal to run down the road. Not sure if it is higher sulphur content or not. If you choose tractor that is the truck and that is road diesel and the one you want. It will ask you for PUC number you say none and it will charge you full road tax. Some places to fuel at the commercial islands you must go inside to pre pay so they can add the road tax to your purchase. Tractor diesel isn't #1 unless it clearly says that on the pump. #1 diesel is almost kerosene and it can be used in extreme cold weather. I do not believe that our pickups are capable to run #1, it might say in the owners manual. Typically road diesel is #2 and then there is B spec diesels that have a blend of bio diesel in it. Usually B-5 to B-20 anything over B 20 should not be ran in our trucks.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #3

Thanks Blue Dogs I'd hate to break the new truck....

So did you die your dogs blue? LOL
Old 07-08-2014, 05:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks Blue Dogs I'd hate to break the new truck....

So did you die your dogs blue? LOL
Nope, Blue Heelers!

Forgot to say the # in the B spec diesel is the percent of Bio Diesel B-5 is 5% Bio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (360.9 KB, 1 views)
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #5

refer.. referring to the trailer.. (refridgerated/heated trailer unit) or the tractor.. (tow unit) you require tractor.. non colored diesel.. yes you are correct about the taxes..

NEVER.. NEVER.. put coloured (off road/construction equipment etc.) diesel in your tanks)... the fine $$$$$ and subsequent tank flushing/impoundment of the tow vehicle.. will surely put you in the grave..

Up here.. (Canada) the M>T>O> can and do!!!!! dip tanks on trucks and rv`s.. on a regular basis... LEGALLY with out your knowledge or consent...!!!!!
mesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Some places have the dyed diesel marked off road, but it is the same non-taxed diesel and the fine for using is high. If I am where it isn't going to get too cool, I will run #2 (try to stay in that area). It is usually cheaper, but if it gets too cool will gel up and plug your fuel filters. Up where it gets cold, they run #2 in the summer (usually cheaper) and #1 or a blend of the two in the winter. I have run bio-diesel with no ill effects, but mine is a 2008. Your owners manual should tell you if you can run it. I have never been asked for a puc number. I know there is at least one state out East where the big rig rates are cheaper but you need the number(I think they have to file and pay annually) or have to pay the taxed price. In Arizona, if your vehicle is under 26,000 lbs. diesel is cheaper. There are a lot of variables from state to state. My main concern is to make sure I put in the over the road fuel. (usually green as a double check. I try to avoid the semi lines if possible. Many times they take longer to fuel, and will spend a lot of time inside before moving. Even with our 40 ft. trailer and extended cab we can get around many stations.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

I can't speak for the US, but here in Canada it's my understanding that all diesel is ULSD as it's too much of a hassle for the oil companies to separate and refine the different diesel fuels.

Another comment about winter vs. summer diesel fuel. I filled the tank from a local station that didn't do a big diesel business, and it was warm outside. The diesel was left over from the winter and I had a hard time getting the truck started, had the symptoms similar to vapour lock in a gas engine. The station had a single pump and no marking (#1 or #2)

It's always good to get your diesel from a station that turns over lots of fuel. Here in the north you can tell the winter diesel from the summer stuff, the fuel economy goes down significantly with the winter blend.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #8

And always get , and save, your receipts JUST in case you get a bad batch like I did with my previous vehicle...

Didn't stop the problem, but saved me about $5,000 that I didn't have to pay for towing, injectors, clean out, new filters, etc... etc...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #9

How did saving the receipt save you the $5K?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #10

I spent 30+ years working for a major refiner & I know in Texas both hiway & off road/reefer are the same fuel only difference is a red die in the off road. If by chance you were to put off road fuel in your tank it WILL NOT affect yor engine, contrary to what some will tell you, it will however stay a red/pink color for several tank fills as it is a very powerful die. If thisi happens by accident, info station personnel & you can fill out a form stating it was accidental, pay the taxes, & not get fined if by a small chance you got checked.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #11

having the receipt allowed my insurance carrier to put pressure on the Mobil Station and all the repairs were paid for
where the money came from I'm not sure, just wasn't my shallow pockets (this time !)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #12

And you can forget about using home heating oil even though in these parts it's often refered to as diesel. When I change the boiler filters in my S&B home (2X per winter) the filter looks like King Kong blew his nose into the filter canister.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
having the receipt allowed my insurance carrier to put pressure on the Mobil Station and all the repairs were paid for
where the money came from I'm not sure, just wasn't my shallow pockets (this time !)
Thats awesome, I'll have to remember that in case I ever bet bad diesel!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Site Team

In the old days......you could burn about anything in the diesel trucks without much problems. Then came emissions and computers.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
In the old days......you could burn about anything in the diesel trucks without much problems. Then came emissions and computers.
Add HEUI fuel systems and Piezo injectors to the equation and the fuel systems of our trucks become thee most important system to maintain on a regular basis. You just can't ignore fuel.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #16

Ok, more confused now then when this started.

Please simple YES or NO will do....Can I use Tracker diesel in my Ford F350 with out damaging any part in the engine?

TIA
Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Ok, more confused now then when this started.

Please simple YES or NO will do....Can I use Tracker diesel in my Ford F350 with out damaging any part in the engine?

TIA
Yes, we stop in Flying J / Pilot Truck stops all the time pulling our 5er and use the truck lanes. Its the sane fuel you get at the front passenger / light truck lanes.
Again on the truck lane pump just be sure to select Tractor Fuel, not Refer Fuel.
The only problem with the truck lanes is the pumps nozzles are larger with a lot faster fuel delivery than the typical passenger / light truck lanes in the front so when the tank starts getting close to full, back off on the flow or you will have a gusher.
Once I got used to the truck lanes, I always use them, the truck lanes can be dirtier / messier but filling up sure is quick due to the high flow of the pumps.
Note: My signature picture was taken at a Pilot's truck lanes after picking up our RW and leaving the RV Dealer heading North on I-75
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #18

Thanks....
Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
Site Team

A note on fuel system service - The newer diesels with the high pressure common rail injection systems demand clean fuel and air.

My 2013 has just less than 25k on it. I noticed over the last week or so that the idle was a bit rough and the last time we towed I thought it felt a bit down on power ....... had it in for service Monday and along with oil change told them to change the fuel filter. Also changed air filter and between the two was like getting a new truck back.

My point is, I usually would have waited till about 30-35k to change fuel and air.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #20

My thoughts on fuel are, make sure it meets the requirements stated in your owners manual, use a station that sells a lot of fuel so you know it's not old, and don't fill up when they are receiving a load of fuel. They could be stirring up anything that could be in the bottom of the tank. I used to fill up at Flying J, but since it was bought out by pilot, they are higher priced. Usually use Gas Buddy to find the best price for fuel.