Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #21

I change fuel filters every 10,000 no matter what= just cheaper and easier than having issues on the road and the motor likes it too.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #22
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
A note on fuel system service - The newer diesels with the high pressure common rail injection systems demand clean fuel and air.

My 2013 has just less than 25k on it. I noticed over the last week or so that the idle was a bit rough and the last time we towed I thought it felt a bit down on power ....... had it in for service Monday and along with oil change told them to change the fuel filter. Also changed air filter and between the two was like getting a new truck back.

My point is, I usually would have waited till about 30-35k to change fuel and air.
Did your air filter flow indicator show you needed a new air filter? I've got roughly the same lineage as you on my '13.

Also I changed the fuel filter when I had about 15k on it. Funny thing is, the dealer apparently didn't tighten down the fuel lines when they did the work and it ended up leaving me stranded on the side of the highway when the fuel line blew off. Even funnier that this happened AFTER towing for nearly 1k miles. I was just driving around town unloaded when all of a sudden I lost fuel pressure. Had to be towed to the dealer. They fixed it under warranty when I pointed out that the Ford dealer is the only one who's worked on my truck. They're the ones who told me what the problem was.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #23
Site Team

Flow indicator looked ok. When the tech pulled the filter it was noticeably filthy. Not sure if it was just the fuel filter or the two combined, but much better power and smoother afterwards.

One of the reasons I have the dealer do maintenance is now all Ford dealers can access service records anywhere. I figure if I'm stranded somewhere it is a plus to be able to show that all maintenance has been performed.

When I realized how quickly I was putting mileage on this truck and also figured I'm going to keep it for at least 4-5 years, I got a Ford extended warranty for it. There are too many expensive things that can go belly up on this truck and I don't want to be surprised. There are also many "flaky" extended warranty plans. If you're going to get one, get it from the manufacturer. Then there isn't a problem with payment to the dealer and trust me, the Service people will welcome you with open arms. There is quite a bit of discussion as to whether to get an extended warranty ~ I figure I can always come up with $200.00 but if the Turbo or the Trans happens to go up, coming up with a few thousand $$$ might be harder .........
Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
lwg

Piper,
Like you I've put quite a few miles on mine. I bought it in May of 2013 and have just over 24K on it already. Most of the miles were within the first 4 months of ownership, expect about 15K a year at this point. I too added the 7/100K Ford Extended Warranty. Paid roughly $2K for it, I think the deductible is $50 but I'd have to double check. Figure since I'm fulltiming I can't take the truck down and fix at my leisure like I normally would've with a house.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #25
Site Team

Same reason I did it. I took mine out to 125k as I use mine for work also and expect it to see 20k miles a year or so..

FWIW, the Ford Cetane booster seems to be worth the use. And also, before you buy it online, check your local Ford store. I was getting ready to order some more ......... Amazon has it for $17.58 including shipping if you're a Prime member. Local dealer's parts dept was $9.75 ............ LOL So much for internet deals.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #26

Do you see better milage with the Cetane booster? If so how much? Do you use it all the time or just when pulling?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
Site Team

I use it all the time. Started at about 15k miles and there does seem to be a difference in power and smoothness. Also - since it comes from Ford, I cant see where they could ever complain about an additive ......
Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #28

In my previous '05 GMC the cetane booster made a good deal of difference, but it wasn't designed for the ULSD, my '13 is & the booster doesn't make any noticeable change, but it also contains a moisture emulsifier& an anti gel agent, so I add 4-5 ounces every 4-5 fill ups. Just had my first fuel filter changed in 34k & looked fine after buying fuel across the country for the last 18 months.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote