Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

Reese hitches

I've had a slider Reese 20k that has the double jaws. I don't need it with a 8' bed. My question is the double jaw or single hold the pin more secure, with less movement. Going to replace it with another 20K Reese. Second question, for those that have invested in the Trailer Saver hitch, what's you're opinion. Reduces chucking or eliminates. Thanks folks
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:50 PM   #2

owners of the comfort ride hitches claim that this hitch and a morryde pin box is a great combo. I would say for a non-sliding hitch B&W is a better hitch then Reese. The comfort ride was designed by the same person as the trailer saver..... There no air bags on the comfort ride to fill , the Hensley has a air bag and compressor and I believe its more money.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:10 AM   #3

Have no experience with Trailer Saver or Comfort Ride, but those that have them praise them.
I do agree with Mark, I'd chose the B&W over the Reese.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #4

I'm one with Comfort Ride/MORryde combo and it's head and shoulders above my old Reese/Tri-Glide combo. BUT the Comfort Ride is a heavy, heavy beast, but our TV is used primarily as a Tow vehicle.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 AM   #5

There were some failures with a Reese hitch in the past...I believe it was their 18K model...double jaw unit....something gave up internally (with the double jaws) causing the trailer to become un hitched....some had a lot of damage to truck and trailer....The B&W 20K unit is a highly regarded hitch with very few complaints out there....we ended up with a Reese 25K in our F-450....It was one of those deals where someone ordered it.....without realizing that they needed a slider in their short box truck....luckily they discovered that issue before they damaged their truck cab....we were in the right place at the right time and got the 25K from them for a very reasonable price....it attaches to the factory hitch prep "puck" system on our truck....prior to that I was about to order a B&W Companion....which I believe is better than Reese offerings....I would have passed on the Reese 25K but it has the single large jaw which has not had any issues....and seems to work well....easy to hook up....quiet....but like most at this weight rating....is heavy as lead....Looked into the "ultimate hitch"....but thought it was a joke....(even though some feel its a good hitch)....I have had too many years welding stuff to trust my trailer to that rig....
Wes 2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

Wes, I'm in agreement about the "Ultimate", I just can't wrap my head around buying a Huge Heavy Fifthwheel and then go for the Lightest weight Hitch you can find. To me at least the Pull Rite version looks a little sturdier but it's still a ball hitch and requires chains in some states.
My Comfort Ride replaced a Reese 20K that pulled a lot of miles and didn't give any problems, just wanted something to cushion the King Pin a little more.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

I've had a Reese 24K single jaw hitch sine 2010, bought it with the Ford F450. It's worked well with the exception of not closing sometimes when I don't put the head at an angle to the rear as the instructions state. I painted the jaw white to see it better after hitching to confirm it's closed. You can't put the closer pin in to hole if the jaw isn't closed, a good safety feature.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #8
Site Team

II have the same setup as Michelle. 245 Comfort Ride Hitch and MorRyde pinbox. Had a Reese 25k Elite and hated it. If I didn't have the Comfort Ride there would be a B&W sitting in the bed