Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Bought 2012 36 RL on 10/27/12. Had issues with dealer - not impressed with walk through or the lack of manuals/paperwork they gave us for all the products. No manual or paperwork of any kind on the Tri-glide hitch or the axle and wheel bearings and who knows what else.
Have pulled it about 2800 miles so far - pulls like a dream. Had major problem yesterday that we are still trying to resolve.
Stopped to get diesel and when we stopped and put the truck in park there was a loud pop/bang and something shook the camper. Could not find anything wrong and after filling up we left the gas station. I heard a grinding noise coming from behind us but there were lots of vehiclse and was not sure if the sound came from us. We drove about 2-3 miles when someone pulled along beside us and pointed behind our tailer. We pulled over and when I jumped out I saw smoke coming from under the camper. I knelt down and saw smoke coming from the drivers side rear wheel but not the tire, from "behind" the wheel. Hubby got out and felt all around the wheel. The tire was cool and the smoke had disappeared. We tried pulling it again very slowly - 20 to 25 mph. We only got about 1/2 mile beforeit started smoking again so we stopped. Hubby felt inside the wheel and it was so hot he almost burned his fingers. The time was 6.45pm and we could not get hold of anyone. We decided it would be safer and closer to make our way back to where we can as there was a Walmart next door.
We drove about 3-5mph for 3-4 tenths of a mile at a time and then would stop and let the wheel cool off before we started again. Got to Walmart parking lot and parked the unit for the night. Glad we had a generator so we could run the furnace and keep warm.
Started making calls at 8am, first to Redwood and while we were waiting for a return call, to towing services, RV dealers in the area, and tried to look for authorised service centers near us. (Would love to see something on Redwood website like the Crossroads website where you can put in your zip code and look up authorised service centers as well as dealers).
Closest service place listed on Crossroads site - 43 miles away, non listed on RW site
Closest RV dealership 2 miles away - no mobile tech service and couldn't fit us in until Monday.
Spoke to another dealership that had mobile service but because it was raining they said they would not come out to check things out.
Spoke to the extended warranty service people (we bought one when we bought the camper) and they wanted an estimate before they would tell us if they would help us get it towed somewhere.
Local towing service said by law they could not put the camper on a trailer to move it as it could not be taller than 13'6".
Spoke to Linda and Brian at Redwood and they told us about Coachnet. They said we could go to the RV dealershio 2 miles away or the one 43 miles away, whichever Coachnet would take us to.
Coachnet sent someone to "chainup" the wheel and take us to the nearest dealership but when we told him we couldn't go until Monday he said he couldn't leave his chain with us that long. (the dealership had told us that we could not park in their lot as they did not have the room for us to wait there until Monday). The guy sent by Coachnet did pull the wheel to put the chain on and found that the COTTER PIN HAD BROKEN! The broken pin had allowed the nut to come undone and the bearing had come loose. The back bearing was completely shredded. He did not wipe the grease away to check the axle or anything else.
We called Brian at Redwood back to ask for any more suggestions but have not heard back from them yet.
Called Lippert and spoke to lovely Michele who put us in touch with a Technician. He told us that the repair would be covered under warranty and Lippert would work with any business that worked on Axles, whether it was an RV service center or an Auto Service center. They will even work with a Truck Service Center.
Called a Truck Service Center that has 14 bays and they said if we can get there they will work us in tomorrow. They were unsure about doing the warranty work but said if Lippert will work with them they will work with Lippert. They may have to order parts but the service guy, Rod, that we spoke to was very nice and actually wanted to help us. If they have to order parts I hope they will let us stay in their parking lot until the parts come. Got all our "stuff" and two dogs with us.
Leaving wonderful Walmart parking lot home of 2 nights at 6am to drive 3 1/2 miles at about 5mph with a chained up wheel and a WHOLE heap of prayers.
Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Team

WOW....I'm sorry to hear of your problems and wish you were closer to me so I could help you. Good Luck

Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #3

Incredible - sorry to hear about your problems! Good luck on getting it fixed. But that brings up a good point- anyone know what the service interval is for repacking the wheel bearings?
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

Wow is right Dave. You gave me an Idea. We were FMCA people for many years and they had a feature where you could call on fellow members in that area for some help and references if all else fails. Even sleep overs if you had the space. This could be something we could have on this forum. A (Buddy list) This could be guarded with a registration only using your four number vin code. You could enroll and be protected after joining the forum. No number, no access no crap from spammers. SUGGESTIONS Please!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Great idea, we support that initiative. We should have that type of forum login anyway. That would allow owners to post issues and non-owners to read about our Redwood issues both good and not so good. As for the buddy assist system, we are in! We can accommodate a 40 ft Redwood at the end our our driveway with 50 amp service, and water. Can also rig a black tank clean-out using a shurflo pump if necessary. Also have a spare room as long as our Grand Kids are not in it!! I am at the Redwood factory and I will ask about modifying the login to include last four of vin
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #6

Wow, what an experience... That's a nightmare situation that's difficult to preempt and can happen to anyone. I confess that I've never even had the wheels off of mine, but I think I'll have my tires rebalanced (just to verify my dealer) and repack the wheel bearings for my winter prep.

BTW, what part of the country is this and what was your actual purchase date - this October or last?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

'18 GMC Denali 3500HD CC, 4x4, DRW, DuraMax, Allison, Curt Q25 w/OEM Prep, Intellihaul Cameras, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #7

I forgot to ask about the hub cap, does that pry off to inspect and grease? I just did the suspension last week but was wondering what's behind the hub cap.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #8

They usually pry off or use water pump pliers. Call Brian to find out the exact grease they use. Use large socket to reinstall.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

'18 GMC Denali 3500HD CC, 4x4, DRW, DuraMax, Allison, Curt Q25 w/OEM Prep, Intellihaul Cameras, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #9

we had a t ire wear very bad and had to replace it. The technician pried off the hubcap when changing the tire/wheel with the spare. Tire wear was caused by faulty axel cambering/alignment. One note of caution, if you do any work on the axels, get permission from lippert first, preferably in writing. Word to the wise as we had an issue but Redwood fixed it for us.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #10

When I am towing my RL, I look in the mirror and compare the road stripes looking down the side of my trailer. It doesn't seem to track straight. It might be an optical illusion, but I would gladly pay to confirm it.

I often read where owners or dealers discover the axle alignment is off, but where can you have this specialized work completed? Don't you need specialized laser alignment equipment to do this?

When I toured the factory, I didn't see this type of equipment which means they rely on Lippert to do this before they receive the chassis. I'd like to verify this alignment independently.Edited by: 5th_Time