Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #1

problem with leveling jacks - any help?

we have a Redwood 36FL. the leveling jacks do not seem to work properly when my husband wants to hook up when we are leaving a campground. the message says jacks up instead of jacks down and he has to do it manually instead of the system putting the hitch where it needs to be to connect to the truck again. we've called the dealer and manufacturer and they've never heard of this before, or so they say. has anyone had this problem? any suggestions? any help is appreciated. thank you.
new yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:49 PM   #2

Although we've been in the 36FL for over a year, we have yet to use the automatic memory function though I assume it would be easier (as long as you approach the RV with the truck in the same position). I would need to read the manual again, but you may still be in manual mode?
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #3

thank you for responding. he does the leveling and all by the instructions on the door panel...everything works fine except when he wants to hook the truck back up. the display doesn't say jacks down and then error shows on the display so he does it manually....we don't have a book to check - we were given a dvd to watch.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #4

I tried allowing the jacks find where I left it when I unhooked but never seemed to work for me. I use manual reverse to raise the rear jacks then manual to raise or lower the front to match my hitch when hooking up. The only automatic function I use is to auto level. Works for me. No hassle
Dave Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #5

http://youtu.be/zJLFoZfY1Hs
Try this you tube maybe it will help
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #6

I have been using the Level Up feature that returns to the unhitch position, it actually works pretty good, takes all the guess work out finding the hitch up position.

Easy Peasy
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
Site Team

I use mine all the time. Once I hook the truck up, I scroll through and find "auto retract". It can't get any easier.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I use mine all the time. Once I hook the truck up, I scroll through and find "auto retract". It can't get any easier.
I think the question is how to use the level-up system to automatically return the front jacks to the level at which you unhooked. Right?
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Site Team

push the left and right buttons at the same time and the coach will return to the height before the last time the unit was self leveled.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #10

Funny, I was really opposed to using this feature for a long time but ultimately I changed, now I use it every time I hook-up. Only time it doesn't work is if you readjust after using the Auto Level feature.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #11

thank you everyone

thanks to everyone for responding! I will show my husband all the answers and hopefully he won't have any more problems!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
push the left and right buttons at the same time and the coach will return to the height before the last time the unit was self leveled.
Dave, before you do that, do you retract the rear jacks? The first day I had it I hit the left and right buttons and the front shot up to the right height but the rear jacks stayed down and it flustered me enough I never tried it again.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Site Team

I don't retract any jacks before hand. Once the truck is hooked up, I hit "auto retract" and walk around the coach to make sure all the jack have retracted. The only time I've had problems with a jack not retracting is in the winter.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #14

The rear jacks [4] are down, from what I can determine they adjust to the new pitch when you return the front to the original position.

I have auto-leveling on my truck AirLift system so when I raise the rig to unhook I typically have to readjust [lower] the rig cause the truck dumps air from the air springs which lowers the truck and hitch, this in effect binds the hitch and king pin. So when I hit the left/right to return the rig to the original position it sets it to the first position so I have to lower the front a smidge to get it to the correct position. Still trying to come up with the right level so I can release the king pin and unhook without having to readjust.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Dave, before you do that, do you retract the rear jacks? The first day I had it I hit the left and right buttons and the front shot up to the right height but the rear jacks stayed down and it flustered me enough I never tried it again.
Mine does this, the techs at the dealer ship said I was doing it wrong so 3 in total come out to "show me how it works". They have a new control brain ordered if it does this it's defective. All jacks should come up and except front that go back to unhook position ..... Repairs to follow.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #16

That would make more sense - Mine was up in the air (wheels off ground) with the middle jacks not touching anything.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #17
Site Team

I do mine the same as Dave, works like a champ 90% of the time.

Chuck, if you have the Upfitter switches on your truck, you could do as I did. I got tired of my airbags changing the pressure when I didn't really want them to. Looked at the wiring schematic and on the Airlift compressor there is a grey wire that is the "signal" wire for the compressor from the pressure sensor in the manifold. I cut that wire and wired it to one of the center switches and labeled it compressor. Now when I want whatever pressure is in the system to stay constant, I can flip that switch on and the compressor never gets the signal to add or bleed air from the bags.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
The rear jacks [4] are down, from what I can determine they adjust to the new pitch when you return the front to the original position.

I have auto-leveling on my truck AirLift system so when I raise the rig to unhook I typically have to readjust [lower] the rig cause the truck dumps air from the air springs which lowers the truck and hitch, this in effect binds the hitch and king pin. So when I hit the left/right to return the rig to the original position it sets it to the first position so I have to lower the front a smidge to get it to the correct position. Still trying to come up with the right level so I can release the king pin and unhook without having to readjust.

Chuck, when unhooking the truck...have a bungee or rope to wrap around the handle on the 5th wheel release handle. Then with the power cord still connected, manually hold the brake on the trailer. This way you can slowly pull the pin out of the jaws of the hitch. You only have to move the pin a few inches to get the pin clear from the jaws. Then you can disconnect the power cord and finish removing the truck.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #19

I have the 36fl as well and my system does the same. Jacks are down and leveled and when I go to rebook the screen says "jacks up". All I do is extend the front jacks untill the screen tells me jacks down then I push the left right arrows and it gos back to the unhitched height. The rear jacks at this time relax and the wheels stay on the ground.
Hope the helps
Old 09-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #20

Talking thank you, Foxfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
http://youtu.be/zJLFoZfY1Hs
Try this you tube maybe it will help
watched it - looks easy enough! Only problem is our display doesn't say Jacks down when he turns it back on to hook to the truck....it says jacks up when they actually are down. that's when he has to do it manually. hope to get the unit to a dealership to have everything checked out soon...we are working on it with the service manager in Churchville where we bought it. hope to get all our issues resolved before the warranty expires in December. Thank you for the video!! happy camping