Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #21

I'm wondering if people are confusing RGW (registered gross weight) with RGWR (registered gross weight rating). In our jurisdiction I can register the truck to carry lots more weight (and pay more$$!) but it still doesn't change the manufacturers RGWR. It's what the truckers do if they are carrying lighter cargo, why pay the extra charges if you are hauling only 50,000 lb. of cargo and are registered and the trailer is rated to safely haul 120,000 lb. Registering for more GW still doesn't change what the truck can safely haul.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #22

I think this dead horse has been severely beaten!!
Yes you can pull these heavy RWs with any of the big 3 late model diesels without dual wheels.
No it is probably not within weight ratings nor is is the safest/smartest thing to do.
Yes there are 100s of people doing it.
No I will not be one of them.
So IMHO to each their own & good luck!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #23

True - the horse cannot recover

But IF you are within your trucks
GCWR, GVWR, fGAWR, rGAWR, and tire ratings FOR THE TIRE PRESSURE and REAL weights (not the possible weights) you are running and rgistered for, then it IS legal... and safe and smart
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #24

I've always worried more about a blowout on the front tire of my tow vehicle when towing. Should they make a dually front axles for us? Would it be safer? Maybe!.........but what ifs could bankrupt us to the point where we can't afford to RV anymore because all of our money is in our vehicles.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #25

Yes you should have dually's in the front if you are running at or beyond the maximum capacity of the tire! But I'm sure the weight on your front tire is closer to 1/3 of what is on your rear.

This is about weight and load capacity, not road hazards or faulty tires.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #26
Traveling

I guess for me the test is: IF something terrible happens, will we say, "IF ONLY we had..." or will we just go, "Damn! How'd that happen?" You know in your gut what the answer is, and nobody can tell you.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #27

I just got a 36fl when loaded it took weight off the pin as everything is loaded on the axles and back. I'm almost 200lbs under payload and 1200lbs under weight rating. why would I need a dually? I'm new to this I get the two more tires on the ground thing, but if I'm under weight I'm good right?
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #28

If the true loaded weight (loaded trailer, loaded truck with gas and occupants) on your rear axle is less than or equal to the truck door sticker RAWR and less than or equal to the rear tire capacity of both tires, AND your pin weight (total combined weight minus truck weight) is less than the "Cargo Capacity" stamped on the green tire sticker in your truck door - ready to go!

If you are trying to calculate payload or cargo capacity from a brochure or spec for either the truck or the trailer - there is a 50% error factor and you could be misled.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #29

I want to get our 38FL weighted, but I am waiting till we are finished with some of the mods that are going to add weight.
For example we will be installing Slide Toppers / Awnings this week on all 5 Slides.
Have no idea what our Pin Weight, Axle Weight or Total Weight will be, should be interesting.
These Front Living floorplans are different animals due to where most of the heavy items are in relation to the axles.
Our Refrigerator, Stove and Microwave are in front of the axles, our Pantry Cabinet is over the front axle, our Washer / Dryer is over the rear axle, the Toilet is over the rear axle and the shower and lavatory is behind the rear axle along with the rear bedroom.
We do not have a generator up front but do have quite a bit of our heavy items stored in the front compartment where the generator goes.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:55 AM   #30

Some of you may know that a year ago April I was involved in a bad wreck in MN during a late season Snow Storm. No one asked any question about the weight of the trailer and no one questioned the tow vehicle. Since it was a Semi-truck that turn on a red arrow the DOT was called in at that time I still had my CDL and the only question the DOT officer asked me was if I was okay.