Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #21

I have a friend who bought a 2005 Chevy with a gas big block. His nick name for the truck is slurpy. It get 9mpg no matter what and in fact spends most the time in the garage. Has approx 35,000 miles. He laughed at me for spending more for a diesel. Now I get to poke at him. Tom
Old 03-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #22

The big GM 454s & Ford 460s you pull into a station fill up with oil & check the gas.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:41 AM   #23
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBob65 View Post
I've heard a lot of different opinions on whether to tow with the overdrive on or off. With so many different types of transmissions out there it might be possible to tow in overdrive. I have a 4 speed auto with overdrive and I find myself turning off the overdrive and just traveling slower, around 65mph.

How do your guys tow? Are the new transmissions today stronger and capable of towing in overdrive?
I have had several RAMs and the weak point are the transmissions at least before the new aisin. Ford currently has the best as of today at 4pm.

If you can afford it go to a reputable performance shop and have yours modified (torque converter and valve body minimum) to hold the power. If not you need a transmission temperature gage, you should get one anyway . If you are towing with overdrive off then you MUST be very careful with the temperatures as it can get out of hand very quickly. This is because you are using the torque converter and not the lock up clutches. The torque converter is like a big pump and the/this pressure heats up the fluid, there is a lot of "slippage" in the fluid compared to the lock up converter "disks/plates" . It is best to tow with overdrive on. I hope I explained it properly

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:15 AM   #24

[QUOTE=Dan;63865]I have had several RAMs and the weak point are the transmissions at least before the new aisin. Ford currently has the best as of today at 4pm.

It can out perform the Allison? Ford can only hope!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 AM   #25

Personally i feel the Allison is bullet proof. That is one of the reasons we bought a GM. 7 out of 10 --18 wheelers are running with an Allison today. As explained prior the temperature is critical and the minute you start shunting you need to slow down so it stops or go to a lower gear. But if you can keep it in the over drive with the "lock up" you transmission will run cooler. If you have a tow mode that should make the transmission do the job properly. Also if you install a temp gage you need to install the sender in the pan. Then you get a proper reading of the oil.
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #26

just upgraded from a 12 f350 to a 16 f350... used the tow haul mode "in town", or on a grade.. engaged it for braking assist, but left it off on the highway. New truck has an electronic exhaust brake assist.. not close to a jake.. but it does work.. first tow.. @ 110kms hr (70 for you yanks).. 4+ hrs.. 14.2 mpg.. just a wee bit better than my 2012.. seems to have less ponies though.. It was hard no to chirp the tires on my old truck at times..... 2013 36fl.. across the scales..full water tank.. and all helper tanks full..+125 gals.. 24677lbs.
mesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #27
Dan

[QUOTE=travelin' texans;63884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I have had several RAMs and the weak point are the transmissions at least before the new aisin. Ford currently has the best as of today at 4pm.

It can out perform the Allison? Ford can only hope!!
An Allison in a GM is not the same as in the big trucks it like comparing apples to oranges. when GM put the first Allisons in their trucks they didn't last 2 thousand miles they were trying to put electronics into the original mechanical Allison.
Don't get me wrong the Allison is a very very good transmission it's just as of right now the ford has pulled ahead and I am saying this as/who/for everyone who modify their truck for extra power
Like I mentioned before Allison has a 9sp that I would love for every manufacture to have in their 4500's

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:34 AM   #28

I hAve a 2012 450 but only pull at 60 mph, found to be my best milage 12-12.5. Any thing over is just plowing wind.
Buddy Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote