Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I think that's been pushed to at least the 2017 model year. It makes a ton of sense actually. By dropping 500-700 lbs with the use of AL they actually raise the cargo by the same amount. This will be huge in payload as my truck could conceivably be over 4000 lbs with this change. Well not my truck, but a similarly configured 2017 model. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's hope the aluminum doesn't do the same as when ford had the bright idea lighten the frame by putting holes in it. I Remember seeing a pile of them a few years back that buckled behind the cab

Old 03-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #22

I think the comment about GM and the towing game is the fact that they dropped anything bigger than the 3500. I would like to move up to a 4500 or something similar as I'll be pushing the limits with our new 39MB once we get it loaded. I'll still have head room on all the numbers, but I know we'll be getting close.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #23
Site Team

The only company without bad diesels was Dodge because they started out with the 12 valve Cummins around 1988.

I had a couple of old GM diesels(5.7, 6.2 and 6.5) and at that time the "binder" diesels that Ford was using was a whole lot better (and at that time I refused to drive a Ford).

This past year GM hasn't had time to develop better trucks....all their time and money was spent on recalls. A record number of 30.1 million cars including 77 different recalls (some of which caused fatalities and were knowingly hidden until the loss of life got so great, a change was forced).

One of our favorite family cars was a 4x4 Suburban. Last week my wife tried talking me into a new Suburban.......nope........but they sure look nice.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:16 AM   #24
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I didn't know GM ever was not in the towing game, IMO GM & Dodge are the leaders in the game due to the fact that until the last couple of years Ford didn't have an engine that could make it to the game. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
Not trying to start a truck war but in my travels of nearly all the western states including OK and TX I rarely see BM products towing. It's easily 80% Ford or Dodge with a few GM here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a GM hater. Just my observations of most of the highways and Interstates (sans California, tend to avoid that state!).
Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Not trying to start a truck war but in my travels of nearly all the western states including OK and TX I rarely see BM products towing. It's easily 80% Ford or Dodge with a few GM here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a GM hater. Just my observations of most of the highways and Interstates (sans California, tend to avoid that state!).
I'm not a GM hater either. GM was all I drove for pretty much 30 years but I don't support them anymore.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I'm not a GM hater either. GM was all I drove for pretty much 30 years but I don't support them anymore.
X2 I drove them for decades - I find nothing wrong with them design wise or mechanically, but I can't support that company anymore.

My Dad sent me a pic of him when he was 16 in front of the garage that my Grandpa built with the whole family in front of 4 Fords. He reminded me my Grandpa worked at Ford, and I look much better in a Ford now that I grew up and straightened myself out
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #27
Dan

When we grew up we all drove Fords, Dodge was never really in the game and no one could get GM's to stand up to the heavy loads but they sure did ride nice, it was more of a "girly" truck to run out in the field and get vegetables, but that was a long time ago. At that time I wouldn't put my ass in a Dodge now its the only thing I own, how time changes I wonder what will be next, change is good

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #28

In the 80s - 90s the Chev was real low to the ground when you opened a door and the gals did like that, where the fords were monsters that took a ladder to get in. They are all different now.

We actually have a Chrysler key hanging on our coat hooks now (Jeep). Who would have thought.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:28 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
When we grew up we all drove Fords, Dodge was never really in the game and no one could get GM's to stand up to the heavy loads but they sure did ride nice, it was more of a "girly" truck to run out in the field and get vegetables, but that was a long time ago. At that time I wouldn't put my ass in a Dodge now its the only thing I own, how time changes I wonder what will be next, change is good
Maybe the old corn binder will come back and take ford's place again
Old 03-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #30

Dave, while discussing GM's integrity regarding recalls, don't forget to mention the Ford Explorer/Firestone roll-over cover-up and the Ford Pinto fires cover ups a few years back. Just sayin...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Dave, while discussing GM's integrity regarding recalls, don't forget to mention the Ford Explorer/Firestone roll-over cover-up and the Ford Pinto fires cover ups a few years back. Just sayin...
ATTABOY
Old 03-13-2015, 03:22 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post

Mike, you're right and for that reason I won't buy Firestone tires either. As for the Pinto, that was far enough back ....but that was one of the reasons I wouldnt even consider buying a Ford for so many years.

In 30 years when GM is under different management and they prove better intentions maybe I'll give them another try.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 AM   #33

Dave
You may not be here in 30 yes and if you are ull probably need someone to drive you in that new GM
Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #34

Ya aren't you glad our choices moved above Pinto's and Vega's Monty Python made the Pinto exploding gas tank famous,

Ford and Firestone still blame each other - Firestone should just fess up
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Dave
You may not be here in 30 yes and if you are ull probably need someone to drive you in that new GM

In 30 years I'll be 87......about ready to come off the road from full time rving. I'll celibrate with a new chevy
Old 03-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
In 30 years I'll be 87......about ready to come off the road from full time rving. I'll celibrate with a new chevy

Dave........in 30 years I'll be 103 and trying to remember "what is a chevy".

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #37

For some time seemed that every vehicle I owned was a GM then drifted toward the Fords. I have owned several of the GM diesels mentioned above and I loved all of them. Great mpg and I got along with all of them. Then moved to the Fords. I owned several of the International Diesels. Then even owned the hated 6.0 diesel. I had great luck with mine. But I fixed it from day 1. Heads, 4" exhaust, Full EGR delete. I towed with it for 200K miles no problems. But when I went to trade Ford would not deal with me. So I swallowed my pride and went shopping. I didn't like the ride or the cost of the GM's. I ended up in a Dodge Ram. For the first month I hated that truck except when I towed. And now it has grown on me. I love it. It is a 2012 and I have 80K on it. I traded my Ford Expedition with 100 K on it the other day and bought a Suburban. BIG MISTAKE. Suburbans are nice. But they are not as solid a ride as the Expedition in my way of thinking. I think you just have to find what fits your backside and be happy. They are all good in different ways.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #38

I've owned GMs for 40 years & have one now that's great, drove Fords at work for 30 years, if I were to trade tomorrow I would definitely look at a Dodge. One thing for sure, my cheeks will never slide across a Ford seat that I own, 30 years of them was enough!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
I traded my Ford Expedition with 100 K on it the other day and bought a Suburban. BIG MISTAKE. Suburbans are nice. But they are not as solid a ride as the Expedition in my way of thinking. I think you just have to find what fits your backside and be happy. They are all good in different ways.
Each time I get in her Expedition to drive, I remember how quiet and how much of a nice ride it is. We are on our third, a 1998, 2004, and now a 2014. Got a fantastic deal because the new ecoboost had just came out in the Expedition, so we grabbed the last V8 which is fine with me.

We just came back from the lake over the rocky mountains, and with that 6 sp and 3 valve V8 towing the boat, that Expedition never left my rear view mirror while I was towing the Redwood. We did have to pull over and wait at the Wolf Creek and La Veta Pass summts for my daughter and her little trailer pulling it with that CHEV Poor gal.......
Old 06-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Each time I get in her Expedition to drive, I remember how quiet and how much of a nice ride it is. We are on our third, a 1998, 2004, and now a 2014. Got a fantastic deal because the new ecoboost had just came out in the Expedition, so we grabbed the last V8 which is fine with me.

We just came back from the lake over the rocky mountains, and with that 6 sp and 3 valve V8 towing the boat, that Expedition never left my rear view mirror while I was towing the Redwood. We did have to pull over and wait at the Wolf Creek and La Veta Pass summts for my daughter and her little trailer pulling it with that CHEV Poor gal.......
she had to stop and rest after pushing them fords
how did your camera work or did you send it back