Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 AM   #1

Morryde IS owners?

I am giving serious consideration to driving to Elkhart and get both the disk brakes and IS done . We will not be full timers for many years but I do want a safe and comfortable ride. When I talked to them they don't suggest going to 8K axles because the ride will not be as good as a 7K. We currently have 12700 sitting on the tires with no food or clothes but every thing else is full and in the camper that we would likely have or want. Any one care to comment on 7K or 8K upgrade and what they feel was good and bad. We currently have 7K with morryde 4000 trunnions on our 2015 RL38 , it has a dry weight of 14700 out of the box according to the yellow door tag .

I question if the rubber blocks on the 8K loaded light will last much longer then 7K just under it rated load is better with a slightly rougher ride then it little brother. The rubber blocks are just over $220 list each so your at $1000 every 7 years or so .

Morryde is using Kodiac disk brakes , is there any difference to Titan vs Kodiac ? do they both offer great stopping power at about the same cost?

Thank You for your comments
Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 AM   #2

First: Are you planning on coming to the Rally in July as Mor/ryde is offering some special Rally prices. If you can't make the Rally because of Family issues or pre-made plans, explain to Rob or Gary and see if they might still give you the Rally pricing.
Okay, now to your questions:
I had the 8K put on our '12 36RL, but we're Long Timers so we travel heavy, like we were running at 17K, so the 8K was almost a must for us.
On our current '16 39MB it shipped from the Factory at just under 16K before we even added a paper plate. So again it made sense for us, plus we're running Goodyear G114 17.5" tires at 125 psi.
I would say, when you go to Mor/ryde make sure you're loaded with everything you would normally travel with. They will weigh each wheel and then you and they can decide on the best for you.
Kodiak is the Disc brake assembly, while Titan is the Hydraulic Pump. They typically use Carlisle Pumps, but will install the Titan if you wish (at least that was what they were installing last I knew). Some feel the Titan has a slightly quicker response time, but they're both almost instantanious.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:34 AM   #3

Michelle and Ann hit the answer for you...

I have a “ 16” 38RL that I upgraded to the 8k IS in June of 2016.. I was unable to make the rally, so I called Gary at MORryde and explained the situation and he extended the rally special pricing.

As far as 7K-8K, when you pull into their parking lot, they will tell you to fill your fresh water to max.. at that point they will weigh each individual wheel and tire to get an exact weight. Those weights will tell them what size system to use, either 7K or 8k, it will also tell them how stiff of rubber blocks they need to use.. They will then measure your rig from ground up to the frame to see how level it sits. That will tell them if and how much sub frame ( if any ) they need to add in order to have you running level..

Let’s talk brakes... WITHOUT A DOUBT, the disc conversion is worth every penny.... While there, if you want to spend a few more bucks, they offer the Timken bearing upgrade also... I took my own Timkens to them, they upgraded while doing the job.. I have a local dealer that owed me some favors and gave me the Timkens cheap.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Can't add much more to the above answers other than DO IT. !! You won't regret it. Five years and now over 41k miles on the IS and Kodiaks without any issues. We have the 8k and H rated tires.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 AM   #5

I am all ready looking into 17.5 tires , Goodyear 614's on my redwood and the 14,000lb equipment trailer. Over the years I never was to concerned about blow outs with those tires, however I had 2 blow outs with powerkings on the equipment trailer that at 68mph and 11,000 lbs on top of the trailer gave me a new outlook on crap trailer tires new or used they are crap...… having said that I think if the hub pilot hole is 4.88" on the disk brakes and the current drums I am going to put a set of Alcoa 17.5 durabright wheels on the redwood and 215/75/17.5 sailun tires. The Goodyear tires I have about a 500 lb safety margin but I cant see paying for the overpriced Goodyear's when a commercial truck tire offers high weight ratings and great track record . Thank You to those of you that posted a reply.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Mark - in my opinion, and that of a lot of the others, the Sailun H S637s are a great choice. I also replaced my G Goodyears with them and am totally pleased. We tow extensively and so far have a bit over 8k on them. No wear whatsoever that I can see.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
I am all ready looking into 17.5 tires , Goodyear 614's on my redwood and the 14,000lb equipment trailer. Over the years I never was to concerned about blow outs with those tires, however I had 2 blow outs with powerkings on the equipment trailer that at 68mph and 11,000 lbs on top of the trailer gave me a new outlook on crap trailer tires new or used they are crap...… having said that I think if the hub pilot hole is 4.88" on the disk brakes and the current drums I am going to put a set of Alcoa 17.5 durabright wheels on the redwood and 215/75/17.5 sailun tires. The Goodyear tires I have about a 500 lb safety margin but I cant see paying for the overpriced Goodyear's when a commercial truck tire offers high weight ratings and great track record . Thank You to those of you that posted a reply.
Contact Performance Trailer Braking, formerly owned by a RW owner, Titan Guy, to see if they still offer a good deal on the 17.5" Sailun tire/wheel combo. When I got mine from them it was cheaper to do their deal than the price to replace 3 GY g rated tires.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #8

Just an FYI, a couple weeks ago I spoke to Michael from Performance Trailer Braking. According to him, their distributor doesn't supply the Sailun tire any longer. He suggested another brand but they don't have any history with the load range H tires.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
You can buy the Sailuns at simpletire.com for $134 delivered. I got mine there and they were delivered in four days. Fresh dates on the tires.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:45 AM   #10

Mark, if you get the IS, you might check with Mor/ryde, I know they can get the Goodyear G114s and wheels, but might have access to other brands also. Don't know what their prices would be, but I'm sure if you called they could give you the info. Especially if you wanted to make it a "One Stop" deal of IS, Disc Brakes, and 17.5 Tires and Wheels.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 05-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
You can buy the Sailuns at simpletire.com for $134 delivered. I got mine there and they were delivered in four days. Fresh dates on the tires.

Exactly what I did , I have 4 tires on the way should see them by Thursday. I got a quote from a vender on Alcoa forged truck wheels that are modified to fit trailer centering hubs ( 4.88" pilot hole and cone style 9/16 lugs) . Yes these are slightly more money then but I feel a wheel that's rated for 6000lbs is better then the sand cast wheels that most other brands offer and these are good looking aluminum wheels.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #12

I think this year where we just got the 5th wheel last fall I am going to have to do this work in stages. dropping $9000 for IS 8K , disk brakes and 17.5 tires and wheels is more then I can do right now. Morryde is currently booking for Aug and I have no chance of getting to Elkhart before late sept- Oct. I think I may take on the disk brake kit install from Performance trailer brakes myself. I spoke to Michael on Friday and $1925 is what he said the kit would cost plus $1000 install no mater who is doing the work (his crew or Morryde). I have morethen enough experience in the automotive repair business to get this done so I am going to save $1000.

It really nice to see so many well informed owners and there spot on assessment of the aftermarket industry.

Thank You to ALL!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #13

We had 8K IS and disc brakes installed by Moryde on our 2014 31SL this past September 2017. We noticed improvement immediately in braking and ride. As Piper Guy said Just do it. You won’t regret it. A comment about Moryde service and support You won’t find a better company to deal with. They set the standard for service and support.
Full time for two years.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #14

Performance Braking is the company. They are no longer offering Sailun tires. Along with Goodyear they are now using Ranier (sp).
BobJudy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #15

If that's true it won't take long before they get a Bad Rep, as Ranier rates right up there with the GY Marathons for problems. Good friends went thru all five (even the spare) Raniers when we did the Canadian Maritime Caravan.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:01 AM   #16

Pre morryde issues!!!!

So I got the green light from my wife and pulled the trigger and upgraded to MorRyde 8000lb IS and disk brakes. On March 23 we had a over night snow storm so I left the house around 10 am so the snow had a chance to melt and roads cleared quickly that morning. I drove strait out to Milton PA where I did a overnight at my cousins house just off of Interstate 80 (about 385 mile first leg). the next morning I got on the road early and made the next leg to Elkhart , I pulled into Morryde around 5:30 pm , called my wife to let her know I was there and I am going to get some dinner. (traveled by myself) At this point I looked at the trailer and noticed the drives side tires where really close to touching each other. looking at it closer I found the wet bolt in the spring hanger had broke and the spring is now riding on the bottom rail of the frame! I think this may have happened some place in Ohio , I heard a load bang and felt it in the truck. I thought to myself was that a tire so I slowed to a stop and checked , It was not so right back to the drivers seat and hammer down! Fast forward that was the bolt breaking in the middle but still thru the spring , add a few more hundred miles of pounding on roads that need repair and the hanger opens up and lets the spring hit the frame and the bolt half's drop out of the hanger.

Had I not had 17.5" H tires and had the luck of a Irish man four leaf clover I would NOT have got to the morryde factory without a road side repair.

As for the upgrade , Ride wise its much better. Everything stays where I left it even if it was on the kitchen counter. Disk brakes are so much stronger , I know I can stop in a panic at highway speeds with cars. That never was possible with 7K drum brakes even adjusted good. all I can say is buggy springs are Ok on a lighter travel trailer but don't belong on anything this long and heavy without shocks and something to control the forward and backwards motion.

post morryde upgrade weight 17600 lbs on a 2015 RL38 3400lbs on the pin , 14200 lbs on the tires so 8K is the correct one to get.

would I do it again , FOR SURE! most likely would not wait.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #17

part 2 pics

more photos

outside at morryde they had IS sitting on the ground so you can see what it looks like.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Michelle and Ann hit the answer for you...

I have a “ 16” 38RL that I upgraded to the 8k IS in June of 2016.. I was unable to make the rally, so I called Gary at MORryde and explained the situation and he extended the rally special pricing.

As far as 7K-8K, when you pull into their parking lot, they will tell you to fill your fresh water to max.. at that point they will weigh each individual wheel and tire to get an exact weight. Those weights will tell them what size system to use, either 7K or 8k, it will also tell them how stiff of rubber blocks they need to use.. They will then measure your rig from ground up to the frame to see how level it sits. That will tell them if and how much sub frame ( if any ) they need to add in order to have you running level..

Let’s talk brakes... WITHOUT A DOUBT, the disc conversion is worth every penny.... While there, if you want to spend a few more bucks, they offer the Timken bearing upgrade also... I took my own Timkens to them, they upgraded while doing the job.. I have a local dealer that owed me some favors and gave me the Timkens cheap.....

Do you have the part numbers for the upgraded Timkens? Morryde installed the 8K IS on my 2015 38RL and I'd like to get the proper bearings now.
Thanks!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Cal View Post
Do you have the part numbers for the upgraded Timkens? Morryde installed the 8K IS on my 2015 38RL and I'd like to get the proper bearings now.
Thanks!
INNER - 25580
butter - 02475

And I would suggest a double lip seal as well..... That Number I have to look for..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #20

Joe

Just looked at our invoice and you're spot on. But no mention of any seal that I can see.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote