Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 AM   #1

Morryde IS owners?

I am giving serious consideration to driving to Elkhart and get both the disk brakes and IS done . We will not be full timers for many years but I do want a safe and comfortable ride. When I talked to them they don't suggest going to 8K axles because the ride will not be as good as a 7K. We currently have 12700 sitting on the tires with no food or clothes but every thing else is full and in the camper that we would likely have or want. Any one care to comment on 7K or 8K upgrade and what they feel was good and bad. We currently have 7K with morryde 4000 trunnions on our 2015 RL38 , it has a dry weight of 14700 out of the box according to the yellow door tag .

I question if the rubber blocks on the 8K loaded light will last much longer then 7K just under it rated load is better with a slightly rougher ride then it little brother. The rubber blocks are just over $220 list each so your at $1000 every 7 years or so .

Morryde is using Kodiac disk brakes , is there any difference to Titan vs Kodiac ? do they both offer great stopping power at about the same cost?

Thank You for your comments
Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 AM   #2

First: Are you planning on coming to the Rally in July as Mor/ryde is offering some special Rally prices. If you can't make the Rally because of Family issues or pre-made plans, explain to Rob or Gary and see if they might still give you the Rally pricing.
Okay, now to your questions:
I had the 8K put on our '12 36RL, but we're Long Timers so we travel heavy, like we were running at 17K, so the 8K was almost a must for us.
On our current '16 39MB it shipped from the Factory at just under 16K before we even added a paper plate. So again it made sense for us, plus we're running Goodyear G114 17.5" tires at 125 psi.
I would say, when you go to Mor/ryde make sure you're loaded with everything you would normally travel with. They will weigh each wheel and then you and they can decide on the best for you.
Kodiak is the Disc brake assembly, while Titan is the Hydraulic Pump. They typically use Carlisle Pumps, but will install the Titan if you wish (at least that was what they were installing last I knew). Some feel the Titan has a slightly quicker response time, but they're both almost instantanious.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:34 AM   #3

Michelle and Ann hit the answer for you...

I have a “ 16” 38RL that I upgraded to the 8k IS in June of 2016.. I was unable to make the rally, so I called Gary at MORryde and explained the situation and he extended the rally special pricing.

As far as 7K-8K, when you pull into their parking lot, they will tell you to fill your fresh water to max.. at that point they will weigh each individual wheel and tire to get an exact weight. Those weights will tell them what size system to use, either 7K or 8k, it will also tell them how stiff of rubber blocks they need to use.. They will then measure your rig from ground up to the frame to see how level it sits. That will tell them if and how much sub frame ( if any ) they need to add in order to have you running level..

Let’s talk brakes... WITHOUT A DOUBT, the disc conversion is worth every penny.... While there, if you want to spend a few more bucks, they offer the Timken bearing upgrade also... I took my own Timkens to them, they upgraded while doing the job.. I have a local dealer that owed me some favors and gave me the Timkens cheap.....

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Can't add much more to the above answers other than DO IT. !! You won't regret it. Five years and now over 41k miles on the IS and Kodiaks without any issues. We have the 8k and H rated tires.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 AM   #5

I am all ready looking into 17.5 tires , Goodyear 614's on my redwood and the 14,000lb equipment trailer. Over the years I never was to concerned about blow outs with those tires, however I had 2 blow outs with powerkings on the equipment trailer that at 68mph and 11,000 lbs on top of the trailer gave me a new outlook on crap trailer tires new or used they are crap... having said that I think if the hub pilot hole is 4.88" on the disk brakes and the current drums I am going to put a set of Alcoa 17.5 durabright wheels on the redwood and 215/75/17.5 sailun tires. The Goodyear tires I have about a 500 lb safety margin but I cant see paying for the overpriced Goodyear's when a commercial truck tire offers high weight ratings and great track record . Thank You to those of you that posted a reply.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Mark - in my opinion, and that of a lot of the others, the Sailun H S637s are a great choice. I also replaced my G Goodyears with them and am totally pleased. We tow extensively and so far have a bit over 8k on them. No wear whatsoever that I can see.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
I am all ready looking into 17.5 tires , Goodyear 614's on my redwood and the 14,000lb equipment trailer. Over the years I never was to concerned about blow outs with those tires, however I had 2 blow outs with powerkings on the equipment trailer that at 68mph and 11,000 lbs on top of the trailer gave me a new outlook on crap trailer tires new or used they are crap... having said that I think if the hub pilot hole is 4.88" on the disk brakes and the current drums I am going to put a set of Alcoa 17.5 durabright wheels on the redwood and 215/75/17.5 sailun tires. The Goodyear tires I have about a 500 lb safety margin but I cant see paying for the overpriced Goodyear's when a commercial truck tire offers high weight ratings and great track record . Thank You to those of you that posted a reply.
Contact Performance Trailer Braking, formerly owned by a RW owner, Titan Guy, to see if they still offer a good deal on the 17.5" Sailun tire/wheel combo. When I got mine from them it was cheaper to do their deal than the price to replace 3 GY g rated tires.

Danny & Linda
Fulltimers since 2008
2013 Denali 3500 drw 4x4 d/a
2013 RW 36 FB black & tan
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #8

Just an FYI, a couple weeks ago I spoke to Michael from Performance Trailer Braking. According to him, their distributor doesn't supply the Sailun tire any longer. He suggested another brand but they don't have any history with the load range H tires.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
You can buy the Sailuns at simpletire.com for $134 delivered. I got mine there and they were delivered in four days. Fresh dates on the tires.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:45 AM   #10

Mark, if you get the IS, you might check with Mor/ryde, I know they can get the Goodyear G114s and wheels, but might have access to other brands also. Don't know what their prices would be, but I'm sure if you called they could give you the info. Especially if you wanted to make it a "One Stop" deal of IS, Disc Brakes, and 17.5 Tires and Wheels.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote