Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #1

Mor/ryde versus the Trailer/Flexair system?

I have been helping my Sister and Brother-n-law search for a good used Fifth Wheel. In so doing, I have noticed that on almost all of the upper line heavier Fifth Wheels. New ones. That they are putting the Mor/ryde pin box on them. Have I missed something?? For several years almost all of the DRV, RW, Landmark you name it. They were putting the Trail air pin box on them. Are they having issues with the Trail air, Flex air systems? I am currently towing with a Airhitch from Airhitch Technology and have a Rotoflex pin box. I am looking to make a change due to the bedrail clearance as well as the ground clearance issues found in the RW. I was considering two options. 1. The Anderson hitch due to it light # and ease of removal. 2. The Companion B&W hitch. With both of these hitches I am planning on changing the Pin box to the Flex Air system. I have got so use to towing with the Airhitch and is smooth ride that I just cannot believe that a Mor/ryde pin box and a fixed hitch such as the B&W companion would be as smooth. I am spoiled to the air hitch and would love to keep it but for the clearance issues.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #2

IMO you can't go wrong with the B&W Companion, very easy to hook/unhook even on unlevel surfaces & easily removed. Don't have experience with the Anderson, but to me they look a little light weight & on some brands could void warrant due to being like a gooseneck.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #3

I still think the best hitch would be a combination Mor/ryde-TrailAir. Had the Mor/ryde on our Montana and it does a good job with the For/aft chucking, but not so much with pot holes and bridge seams. I love the Air Bag of the Tri-Glide allowing the RW to just float, just don't like the uncontrolled for/aft movement.
That Anderson just scares the heck out of me, just doesn't look solid enough to be pulling 18K of fifthwheel, plus since it's a Ball Coupler in many States you would be required to have Safety Chains attached.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #4

Check out the cell technology in the Comfort Ride Hitch. We are very pleased with ours. M Comfort Ride Hitch

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
Site Team

The Comfortride hitch and a MorRyde Pinbox is the direction I'm seriously considering going.
Anyone interested in a Reese 25k Elite for the Ford puck system ??
Old 05-28-2016, 03:14 AM   #6

What type of pin box are you using with that comfort ride hitch?
Old 05-28-2016, 03:19 AM   #7

Also, while I am not in anyway trying to sell the Anderson over anything else. I can tell yo uI have studied this hitch for the past 8 months. I have talked with no less than 20 different owners of Anderson hitch. I watched the video's and am convinced that this hitch is every bit as strong if not stronger than many of the others on the market today. I have talked with owners of RW, DRV, Landmarks and numerous toy haulers loaded to the gills. I like the # and the price of course. But I am moving very slowly as this next step has to be the right one for me.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Site Team

If I go to the Comfortride hitch, and I think I will, I will change the Pinbox to a MorRyde
Old 05-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #9

Vaughan

It wasn't clear to me how the Comfortride fits into out Ford puck equipped beds, the hitch body seems to be made to fit into rails. What did you find out about that?

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Jim ~ there is a separate plate that Rick makes that fits into the puck system and the hitch secures to it.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I still think the best hitch would be a combination Mor/ryde-TrailAir. Had the Mor/ryde on our Montana and it does a good job with the For/aft chucking, but not so much with pot holes and bridge seams. I love the Air Bag of the Tri-Glide allowing the RW to just float, just don't like the uncontrolled for/aft movement.
That Anderson just scares the heck out of me, just doesn't look solid enough to be pulling 18K of fifthwheel, plus since it's a Ball Coupler in many States you would be required to have Safety Chains attached.
You would love the Trailer Saver TS3, it is basically 2 Tri-Glides side by side with a hinge at the top. The For/after chucking is not a thing and bridge expansion joint are uneventful. I have the Rota-Flex pinbox and the smart air system on the TS3, it seems to constantly keep the RW level as I hear the compressor kick on and off, and hear it dump air as we travel down the interstate.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Team

The man that designed the Trailer Saver is the same that designed the Comfortride. Difference is in using synthetic compressible cushions rather than airbags.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #13

We previously had 5th wheels with the Mor-Ryde pin and now the Trail-Air. I reall like the Trail-Air pin better. The one downside is you have to periodically add air into the air bag while traveling and make sure you keep it greased (9 zinc fittings). The Mor-Ryde has almost no maintenance.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
What type of pin box are you using with that comfort ride hitch?
Stan, we are using the TrailAir pin (no air bags) with our Comfort Ride Hitch. M

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote