Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #61

FM converters anyone? I think I still have 8-tracks somewhere also.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #62

I also started with the Sinclair ZX80 saving programs to a cassette then moved onto an Osborne 1 with dual DDDS 5-1/4" floppy drives. That Osborne 1 and an Expson FX80 with tractor fed (remember tractor feed printers!) cost just south of $4,000. As others noted I chased the digital age with 386's then through countless PC's, digital cameras and other digital stuff that I just couldn't live without. Most likely those costs were close to what I paid for the Redwood. And not to mention the several computers per each of our six children through elementary school and on through college including Office suites software and more (won't mention the cost of all those college degrees!!). No regrets and would do it all again. Speaking of chasing digital stuff our 55" plasma TV at home looks so small compared to those 80" - 100" smart TV's in the big box stores. I am resisting - really.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #63

I started out programming on a Motorola 68000 microprocessor chip, coding 1's and 0's in binary with Boolean algebra. Later moved onto assembly language and IBM punch cards. For a personal computer I had an Amiga.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr View Post
I started out programming on a Motorola 6800 microprocessor chip, coding 1's and 0's in binary with Boolean algebra. Later moved onto assembly language and IBM punch cards. For a personal computer I had an Amiga.

"Amiga"? that sounds like a disease. I hope you washed your hands after you got done with it
Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
"Amiga"? that sounds like a disease. I hope you washed your hands after you got done with it

Yes, it does. Actually, it was the best selling computer by Commador made in the early 80's. Like most technology, it was quickly replaced with smaller, faster systems. Remember the record player, then the eight track, then the cassette recorder, VHS, the DVD, Blue ray, and now Streaming video from the "cloud". What's next?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #66

Had all the above too - commodore 64 and Amiga were ahead of their time never put a new motherboard in a pc case as I was swapping them out almost weekly !

Spent MANY a Friday night setting up and Saturday morning selling hardware in the early 80's @ http://www.sidewalksale.com/FAQ.html

I had reserved site #5 I started so early and my young son would set up next to me and sell/trade his baseball card collection - I have 6 boxes of them in storage to remind me of those days !!! As a 10 yr old he would make $100 in a couple of hours he knew his cards so well...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote