Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
Site Team

Meet Fred the Focus

Tracy names all of the vehicles. We have Denny the Dually and Tilda the trailer. Now comes along Fred the Focus.

Fred will be tagging along following Tilda at times after he is set up with the towbar, SMI brake system, lights, etc. he's within the weight allowance for the hitch and is also approved by Ford for flat towing. Add in the fact that Ford has unreal incentives right now and it was too good to pass up a fun little car. The color is called Tectonic and it changes from a silverish color to a light tan depending on sunlight position. Should tie in well with out Black and Tan 36RL.

Looks like we will be a bit overlength, but all the weights are ok. Gonna be fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0388.jpg (257.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

I'm with you Vaughn. Been trying to convince the DW that a bass boat would be the perfect compliment to our rig. She isn't convinced.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Tracy isn't comfortable with the truck as a in-town, run around vehicle and after last summer in the Northeast and especially the small coastal towns of Maine, it was agreed that a small, easily towed car would be a plus.

Properly set up, like you would behind a gas motorhome, from everyone I've talked to the only way you know its back there is look in the camera. As far as tracking, the car will follow in the truck's tire path. So cornering is no different, just rig is longer and you can't back up.

We won't be towing it every trip, but for the longer ones where we are staying a while it will be handy. I'll also be able to tow it behind the Dually if we just need to have another car and would like to ride together or if we are somewhere and decide we need it I can go get it.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #4

Obviously look at the length restriction for every state you will go thru as reciprocity is NOT agreed upon for over length.

And some call this double or triple towing (the name is not important ) except that some states have specific requirements for that too...

good luck as I too made sure part of our 38gk purchase was a hitch and lights to tow behind our rv, but never got it settled enough where we could do that - so we combined the truck and trailer into a coach !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Looks good Vaughn. As John says some states have different rules on towing. At least towing flat Tracy can always get out and drive the car if you run into a problem. If on a trailer you would be leaving it on the side of the road until you could come back and pick it up.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

NICE! That's a good looking car Vaughn! If you go to the Blue Ox base plate I have some extra "bits" for hooking up. The Jeep doesn't use them but I ended up with 4.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
NICE! That's a good looking car Vaughn! If you go to the Blue Ox base plate I have some extra "bits" for hooking up. The Jeep doesn't use them but I ended up with 4.
Hey Brad...if you look at the RV Life banner ads at the bottom of the page, there is some very timely info regarding double towing. What caught my eye is the similarity between the pic RV Life used for their ad and your own, previous set-up.

RV Triple Towing Laws, Legalities and Considerations - RV Life
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Hey Brad...if you look at the RV Life banner ads at the bottom of the page, there is some very timely info regarding double towing. What caught my eye is the similarity between the pic RV Life used for their ad and your own, previous set-up.

RV Triple Towing Laws, Legalities and Considerations - RV Life
Hey! that is mine At least they gave me credit - but they sure didn't ask. Guess it's implied consent.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:27 AM   #9

HI FRED!!!! Your getting a large family Vaughan and I though those days were over.
Nice looking car and hope it tows well for you. I'm still scared of towing behind the RW for now.
BUT...... Char is at it again an out car shopping today. Doesn't like driving the truck every day. This one has her eye the most I think.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw.jpg (61.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-19-2016, 02:46 AM   #10
Site Team

Vaughan don't worry about the extended length. I'm over in most states and I've seen many rigs even longer without any problems with the law. Your car will actually track outside of your 5th wheel in tight turns wont be bad.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:04 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
HI FRED!!!! Your getting a large family Vaughan and I though those days were over.
Nice looking car and hope it tows well for you. I'm still scared of towing behind the RW for now.
BUT...... Char is at it again an out car shopping today. Doesn't like driving the truck every day. This one has her eye the most I think.

Steve
Don't think you can flat tow that baby
Old 10-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
Site Team

I've talked to quite a few people who double tow. Many of them have even had a Trooper come up next to them in a rest area, get out and make the comment "nice looking rig ! " and then walk on in to get coffee. Only talked to one person who got stopped and all they did was give him a discussion about that states lawss and then make him unhook tow and drive it out of state.

I am going to avoid Kawlifornia with Fred hooked up though ......

Steve if Char looks at a Fusion - they are flat towable .........
Old 10-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Site Team

The only thing you have to watch are rest areas while parking. I've found many issues with the 53' trailers behind the larger trucks. It's hard to get around them due to the length hanging out. I'm just shy of 70' and I have to watch this when I'm parking.

In a straight line you can only roll back about 3 foot before the tires on the car will start scrubbing, so you only have one shot when you park.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

Vaughan, just watch the wagging. That 5th wheel has a big overhang and is really sensitive to your steering wheel reactions by the time it gets back to the toad. At least in Nebraska and some of the midwest, they don't bring a tape measure to the party, but if he sees you crossing lines he'll make you take it apart.

But hey, don't listen to me, I'm the bad example according to Rene on RV Life.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:

Steve
You had better get Char under control Steve ! ! ! Pretty soon you'll be driving around a Newell . .
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
You had better get Char under control Steve ! ! ! Pretty soon you'll be driving around a Newell . .
Hey Joe,
I thought for sure she would buy the one in the picture but we changed our mind and purchased this one tonight.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw2.jpg (224.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-20-2016, 01:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Hey Joe,
I thought for sure she would buy the one in the picture but we changed our mind and purchased this one tonight.

Steve

That is one sweet looking Beemer.... good luck with it !!!
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #18

In a few years, may be sooner with tesla, we should be able to have the car follow us. No need to tow. Even better, maybe the TV can drive its self and we follow in the comfortable SUV.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #19

I wish it were true Scott
but I don't think they will ever get by the moral issue of the little girl in the road and does the car decide to take the cliff, hit the semi head on, or....

It's a no-win situation for the mfg to decide and if you make it a parameter the driver/owner decides, then it's premeditated ....
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #20

Nice little Ford you got there, now you can find a place to park in Dartmouth.