Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #1

Leveling Up Question

We just stopped for the night and everything when leveling up went like normal, except that the jacks on one side didn't come down at all. We were level but it seems like the trailer should have the support on both sides. My husband manually brought down the jacks that didn't lower after waiting and nothing happened on the driver side. We've not had that happen before. Has anyone else's had this experience? We're experiencing extremely strong winds. Don't know if that has anything to do it ..
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRW Owner View Post
We just stopped for the night and everything when leveling up went like normal, except that the jacks on one side didn't come down at all. We were level but it seems like the trailer should have the support on both sides. My husband manually brought down the jacks that didn't lower after waiting and nothing happened on the driver side. We've not had that happen before. Has anyone else's had this experience? We're experiencing extremely strong winds. Don't know if that has anything to do it ..
Even with the jacks retracted, the worse will be a rocky night of sleep. Even in high wind gusts the Redwood will be fine without the jacks.

I’m working off of memory since I’m a little rusty on the Redwoods now, but others have had this problem and I believe it was a bad valve. Since your husband already put the jacks down for the night.... in the morning, activate the jacks several times. This might free up the valve. If nothing else, people have been using “Merlyn’s Mystery Oil” (can be found at any auto parts store or Walmart) in the systems. But don’t overflow the system. This means, after all the jacks are up, and the slides are in, use a turkey baster to extract fluid. Then add the Merlyns.

Good luck
Old 10-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #3

I'd bet if you operate manually a couple times it will most likely clear whatever is sticking the valve.
As for the oil, this the 1st I've heard of using Marvel Mystery Oil, the factory guys used 15w Maxima motorcycle fork oil, jacks/slides have worked flawlessly since. Now I use the same fork oil to occasionally top off the reservoir.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I'd bet if you operate manually a couple times it will most likely clear whatever is sticking the valve.
As for the oil, this the 1st I've heard of using Marvel Mystery Oil, the factory guys used 15w Maxima motorcycle fork oil, jacks/slides have worked flawlessly since. Now I use the same fork oil to occasionally top off the reservoir.
On the Redwood, I used the Caterpillar “friction reducer” oil which worked better than the Marvel oil. The Entegra people started using the Marvel oil to loosen up the jacks and slow down the popping noise. Although people spend a lot of money on their coaches and the systems are made by a different manufacturer, the problem still exists.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #5

We're in Gustine , CA, our last stop before home. The level up worked perfectly, the cable TV hookup that didn't work in the living room at the last stop works. Still have the water pump issue but my husband thinks he can either fix it or he'll get a new pump. This trip will probably be around 3600 miles and not too many problems. Friday we experienced horrendous winds, front winds and part of the time crosswinds. I kept thinking about that overturned RW. Our RW handled it amazingly well.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
Site Team

The RW tows amazingly well behind a Dually in a crosswind. Another tip especially if you have a RL or any coach with the fresh tank up front is to fill the water tank. Adds a few hundred more pounds on pin and makes it even more stable.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
The RW tows amazingly well behind a Dually in a crosswind. Another tip especially if you have a RL or any coach with the fresh tank up front is to fill the water tank. Adds a few hundred more pounds on pin and makes it even more stable.
We have a Ram one ton, longbed, four door dully. Our 38GK has a RL and front fresh water holding tank. After the tank overflowed when we connected to city water at the beginning of our trip, we drained it to about 2 thirds full and kept it there. I was totally impressed with our RW's ability to follow behind our truck with no sway at all in seriously strong wind. Our last RV, a 30 foot bumper pull did well in wind too. But there's so much more of the RW and the winds Friday were probably the worst we've experienced in our many years of RVing.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Leveling Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRW Owner View Post
I had the same problem called Lippert it turn out to be the level up controller.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. At our next stop the level up worked perfectly. We've got home yesterday and again no problem. If it happens again we'll call Lippert.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Sounds like a loose connection.