Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

Level up issue

I am at a loss and so is my tech. Our system will not retract the landing gear. We have changed the Trombetta valve, control pad and also the sensor module in the above the genny compartment. Nothing has changed. If he switches the leads on the trombetta, he can retract it by pressing the down button on the keypad, but then the extend does not work. Any ideas my fellow braniacs?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I am at a loss and so is my tech. Our system will not retract the landing gear. We have changed the Trombetta valve, control pad and also the sensor module in the above the genny compartment. Nothing has changed. If he switches the leads on the trombetta, he can retract it by pressing the down button on the keypad, but then the extend does not work. Any ideas my fellow braniacs?
It could be the symptom of a defective 12v hydraulic motor. To test the motor disconnect it from the trombetta. Then use jumper cables from the battery and connect to the two terminals on the motor. If the motor runs good. Next, reverse the jumper cables to the motor terminals. The motor should also run, but in the opposite direction. It is a bi-directional motor. The trombetta reverses the polarity to change the rotation. I had the same problem it and I solved it by changing the trombetta which operated sporadically.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #3

We had the same problem. After dealer and Redwood troubleshooting and advising it was a hydraulic pump issue. We bought and changed out the pump which didn't fix issue. One call direct to Lippert provided us the fix of changing to a bigger breaker and taking the wire from the Keypad off the trombetta to another power source. A $20 fix which left us with a $600 hydraulic pump spare part. Let me know if you need a pump. Seriously though, please call Lippert customer service direct for support and advice with your issue. I expect they will provide the same advice they did us.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Here is the Lippert Manual for testing the Trombetta solenoid and hydraulic motor.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolly and Laurie View Post
We had the same problem. After dealer and Redwood troubleshooting and advising it was a hydraulic pump issue. We bought and changed out the pump which didn't fix issue. One call direct to Lippert provided us the fix of changing to a bigger breaker and taking the wire from the Keypad off the trombetta to another power source. A $20 fix which left us with a $600 hydraulic pump spare part. Let me know if you need a pump. Seriously though, please call Lippert customer service direct for support and advice with your issue. I expect they will provide the same advice they did us.
My mobile tech has been on the phone with them multiple times. So much so, he is now an authorized distributor for Lippert parts. The first time they said it was the trombetta valve. When that didn't work, they said it was the level sensor mounted above the genny. when that didn't work, it was the keypad. Now on to the next goose chase.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #6

Hydraulic Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolly and Laurie View Post
A good way to check your pump if your jacks will not work then try your slide outs if they come in or out then the pump is working fine. The slide outs and the jacks work off the same pump.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

Jack Problem

Quote:
My mobile tech has been on the phone with them multiple times. So much so, he is now an authorized distributor for Lippert parts. The first time they said it was the trombetta valve. When that didn't work, they said it was the level sensor mounted above the genny. when that didn't work, it was the keypad. Now on to the next goose chase.
Did you check the two in line fuses? Also did you try manual mode to raise and lower your jacks? I have had the same problem with my jacks. I ended up getting a wiring diagram from Redwood that fix the jack problem. They will send you the wiring diagram put will not send the part to you. They want you to take it to the dealer for the fix. I went to the auto parts store and got the four circuit breakers and a roll of wire to fix the problem. Camping World wanted $400.00 dollars and a month to do the job. I did it for $75.00 and about one hour.
Camphost
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #8

In manual mode, when I push retract, I hear something click. if we switch the leads and I push extend, the jacks retract. Both slides work fine.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

Jack Problem

Quote:
In manual mode, when I push retract, I hear something click. if we switch the leads and I push extend, the jacks retract. Both slides work fine.
Did you replace the control box on the ceiling in the battery compartment. If it is clicking then it is more than likely the control box. I had to replace 3 of them before I rewired the jacking system.
Camphost
Old 07-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

Yes, control pad, trombetta and sensor have all been replaced. There is a monkey in here somewhere.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Jacking Problem

Quote:
Yes, control pad, trombetta and sensor have all been replaced. There is a monkey in here somewhere.
Have you tried your slide outs to see if they are working? The slide outs and jacks work off the same pump.
Camphost