Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #21

When we took delivery of our 2015 38RL the brakes did not work. Some not too smart person have towed it from IN to our dealer in SD with no brakes. We thought there was a problem with our RAM3500 so went to a RAMdealer close to our RV dealer. Vehichle 100% ok. Turned out after a lot of work, that the factory had switched two cables in the box inside the RV. Got hold the CEO of the company who manufactured the brake box in the Redwood and he helped out and gave the correct color codes. Spaders RV had to switch three cables that was wrongly connected inside the box. This was not the first time that happened according to the CEO... Anyway, when fixed no problems!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #22

Think my wife uploaded the wire diagram here in the document section.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #23

Wire Diagram uploaded. The factory screw up the breakaway switch cables.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
When we took delivery of our 2015 38RL the brakes did not work. Some not too smart person have towed it from IN to our dealer in SD with no brakes. We thought there was a problem with our RAM3500 so went to a RAMdealer close to our RV dealer. Vehichle 100% ok. Turned out after a lot of work, that the factory had switched two cables in the box inside the RV. Got hold the CEO of the company who manufactured the brake box in the Redwood and he helped out and gave the correct color codes. Spaders RV had to switch three cables that was wrongly connected inside the box. This was not the first time that happened according to the CEO... Anyway, when fixed no problems!
I am totally amazed how many of us had this same problem.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:22 AM   #25

I had a similar problem. Picked up a brand new 2018 390MB with ALL brakes. No matter what I set the gain at, with or without the cam module, even checking the pin box for the correct wiring. If I touched the brakes ar sent any current at all the Hyrastar actuator pumped without stopping. I know your problem is different but I found two vey helpful people. Ron aka Titan Guy (he offered his number) and he sent me in the write direction on the pin box and
Tyler Scott
tscott@hydrastarusa.com
890 Rudolph Way, Greendale IN 47025
Ph. 812.655.4544 | Fax 513.202.0079

Tyler was able to send me a replacement Actuator and I installed myself in 15mins including bleeding. And I am not technical at all. Hope that helps
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #26

The Ram 2012 3500 controller DOSENT WORK WITH E/H. I had the same problem I had have P3 after market controller installed with 2016 redwoood
Buck1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:00 AM   #27

Did you get the brakes fixed?

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #28

I have found that the brakes are working at a VERY slow responds time. I'm thinking I need to bleed them to get the last of the air out of the line as it helps to pump them to get them to work faster. Had the gain set to 10 to verify and have since turned them down to 6.

Ron, could the slow responds be from a slow or weak electrical signal?? I'm still going to get the truck in for updates just to cover that base also.

I have bled plenty of race car brakes and now it can be very time consuming in some cases and since we didn't have a lot of time over the holiday I'll now try to get it done while we are parked for the next 4-5 months before or next move.

In the meantime I've sent an email off for other issues with the unit that need to be corrected so we'll see if I can get them to remedy. We'll see what kind of responds I get from Colerain and if needed I'll reach out to Redwood. I'm expecting it will be tough to get things taken care of now that we are in TX vs near one of their locations. We'll see how it goes, wish me luck, lol!!!
Piercebld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #29

Typical symptom of air in the lines is a delay in feeling the brakes kick in. Anything more than a second is excessive.
Voltage should be checked on the brake controller wire (blue) and power wire (Black) at the truck receptacle, the wiring junction box and actuator. This will tell you if you have a voltage drop problem. You should still see 12v+ at the actuator.
Still sounds like an electrical problem.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #30

I am glad that I read this thread. I also wasn't told anything about the Hydrastar over heating when the brake was depressed for an extended amount of time. However, I had an incident where when I was cutting the RV sharply the breakaway cable hung on the hitch and disconnected and I didn't notice that was the problem for a little while. The brakes were totally locked. The actuator must have gotten quite hot as I could smell it outside the unit. I quickly killed the power to the unit until I found the problem. I didn't put 2 and 2 together but thought it was quite strange that it got so hot. Apparently I was lucky because it still works. As to the CAM module, it apparently came with my 2017 31SL because my 2016 Chevy connected and worked the first time we hooked up.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
It sounds like he has disc brakes. To the OP, good luck dealing with Colerain on any mechanical problems.

Mark
Colerain in Cinci were absolutely great on work done to my RW.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:53 AM   #32

I have gotten NOWHERE with Colerain. They claim it's all up to Redwood. It's been a month and still nothing has been done however, we had a nice discussion with a Redwood sales manager at an RV show today so we are in hopes we are on the correct path now!!!!
Piercebld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercebld View Post
I have gotten NOWHERE with Colerain. They claim it's all up to Redwood. It's been a month and still nothing has been done however, we had a nice discussion with a Redwood sales manager at an RV show today so we are in hopes we are on the correct path now!!!!
My trailer was at Coleraine in 2014 for warranty work, including the brakes. When I finally got it back, it had been damaged in their yard. Because I lived 250 miles from them, they agreed to pay to have it fixed near me. The people who ran the service side lied right to my face. They called and said it was ready, when I got there and hooked up there was no brakes. So I had to leave it again. That's when it was damaged.

Mark