Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #1

Jeep in tow

Did somebody post earlier they were wanting to, or already were, towing a Jeep behind the Redwood? Just curious how that worked out. I saw a Redwood pulling out of Albuquerque a few months ago with a Jeep in tow, but can't remember if it was on a trailer or just a tow bar.

I just inherited a CJ5, and I'm curious what is possible.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Site Team

A CJ5 is from the time they made good Jeeps. 2 of my sons had recent Jeeps but they sold them quickly.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #3

The rule is pics or it didn't happen!!!

The good thing about MOST jeeps is AS IS it can be towed 4 down...
so your tongue weight will be nothing at all... and the fun factor when you putt around the southwest is through the roof !

Brother in law tows his wrangler unlimited behind his phaeton 4 down,

We've had many jeeps in the past - a cj-5, cj-7, cj-9 scrambler & 5.9limited...

I towed the cj-5 behind a 4 cyl turbo diesel Winnebago LeSharo with just a clamp on tow bar !
the forum towing police would have had a cow with that combo, but went all over the south and southwest...

towed the scrambler behind a dodge 318 class c with the same bumper hitch!

just put tranny and transfer case into neutral, unlock the steering wheel and tow away !!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:35 AM   #4

ya this brings back some good memories - it's a 71 CJ5 with the V6 and a warn overdrive. It's been sitting for 10 years so I need to scope out condition before I decide if I restore it, sell it, or take it in and convert it to a dirt digger V8.

My wife remembers riding in it, and I reminded her that other than charm, there was nothing about them that is practical, too narrow, too short, terrible steering, clutch and brake go straight into the floor instead of swing, defrosters sucked, small gas tank with GI cans on the back, drum brakes, oil leaks on emergency brake drum........but love em!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 AM   #5

Originally designed to be too short and too narrow... drove the Willy's around when I was in Cdn Reserve in late 70s... now they are just like every other car... some are not even 4x4's... what the hell is the point?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:42 AM   #6

I agree Brad - I tried a 2004 and the new ones drive and handle like a Durango with an oversize CJ body for visual effect.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:49 AM   #7

We tow a Wrangler, 4 wheels down--making no weight on the hitch. You have to know the weight of the Jeep you will tow. We we pulled through Albuquerque the end of December. We have pulled it all around the country. Each state has it's own laws--which everyone feels free to tell you. I am hesitant to even write this, because it tends to bring out strong opinions. However, we have nothing but positive experience and are happy to share what information would be helpful. We use a Brake Buddy for brakes, a Falcon II tow bar and we installed a backup camera to watch the jeep.
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
We tow a Wrangler, 4 wheels down--making no weight on the hitch. You have to know the weight of the Jeep you will tow. We we pulled through Albuquerque the end of December. We have pulled it all around the country. Each state has it's own laws--which everyone feels free to tell you. I am hesitant to even write this, because it tends to bring out strong opinions. However, we have nothing but positive experience and are happy to share what information would be helpful. We use a Brake Buddy for brakes, a Falcon II tow bar and we installed a backup camera to watch the jeep.
I glad to hear it works for you........Happy Trails
Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Talking

Just curious - as you never know where life will take you and what direction.
I've considered this same setup. What is your tow vehicle and any idea how long you are overall ?
Seems to me that might be the only area for concern. Unfortunately here on the East Cost they are not dual friendly and are especially length conscious.

Have fun with it and enjoy. Hope to see the rig some day. Pictures
Mould be great, feel free to block out the license plate LOL.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Fantastic! What year jeep? Did you strengthen the Redwood hitch? Did you have to extend the receiver?

I'm guessing from web info, but I think this 71 weighs about 2200.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Just curious - as you never know where life will take you and what direction.
I've considered this same setup. What is your tow vehicle and any idea how long you are overall ?
Seems to me that might be the only area for concern. Unfortunately here on the East Cost they are not dual friendly and are especially length conscious.

Have fun with it and enjoy. Hope to see the ig some day. Pictures
Mould be great, feel free to block out the license plate LOL.
We have a 2014 RAM 3500 has a GVWR of over 37K. Pulls it like there is nothing back there! We loose no power or gas mileage with the jeep behind.
We are 75ft long. We drove it from Texas, across the Gulf to Florida and up the East coast through Virginia. We have pulled it in Washington, Oregon and even parts of California. We have not gone into New England. (Hear those are tight roads) We have passed and pulled beside and talked with Highway Patrol and/or Police and had no issues. In big cities I am glad to have the "Co-pilot" watching and not in the jeep driving behind. Here are a couple pictures.
0109141256g.jpg

0109141256b.jpg
Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #12

We did not strength or extend the hitch, we got an adapter kit--that goes on the jeep. The falcon attaches to receiver with trailer pin. We have repainted to make sure we have no rust. We have had the welds and set up checked to make sure we are safe and solid. We double check the set up and connection (welds, etc) before taking off almost every time.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Last question (probably not, but we can try). For the electrical for the Jeep, did you run another 7 pin trailer connector back so that you had a charging line and the brake signal ?

Many thanks for posting Intriguing set-up as we have always said the only drawback to the RW was having the Dually as the runaround vehicle after stopping. Do you find that at most campgrounds you unhook Jeep on the way in and then send your Co Pilot to the site as a scout ?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #14

I see a real issue here though,
the jeep has to be repainted to match the setup

(Although my bro-in-law didn't paint his to match his phaeton either :

(Wow - didn't notice that pic has our old Destiny's nose with Mardi Gras wreath on it and some visitors from around the park)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mardi group 2013.jpg (286.6 KB, 5 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
I see a real issue here though,
the jeep has to be repainted to match the setup
Although my bro-in-law didn't paint his to match his phaeton either :

(That's my old Destiny's nose with Margi Gras wreath on it and some visitors from around the park)

Gives us something else to wish for.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Last question (probably not, but we can try). For the electrical for the Jeep, did you run another 7 pin trailer connector back so that you had a charging line and the brake signal ?

Many thanks for posting Intriguing set-up as we have always said the only drawback to the RW was having the Dually as the runaround vehicle after stopping. Do you find that at most campgrounds you unhook Jeep on the way in and then send your Co Pilot to the site as a scout ?
Happy to answer any questions.
We had the dealer put in 7 pin connector from brakes, etc.
We LOVE having the Jeep to run around. We have always unhooked when we pull into a campground. Then one of us goes and scouts sites. It all Hooks and unhooks pretty quickly. RW is one of the few that came with class 3 hitch and 12 inch I-beam.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #17

Quote:
We did not strength or extend the hitch, we got an adapter kit--that goes on the jeep. The falcon attaches to receiver with trailer pin. We have repainted to make sure we have no rust. We have had the welds and set up checked to make sure we are safe and solid. We double check the set up and connection (welds, etc) before taking off almost every time.
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pics!

I looked into the brakes - I'm don't think I need them in most states if I stay under 3,000 lbs, and with the pedal that goes straight into the floor instead swinging on this ol gal, it gets a little complicated to add an auxiliary braking system. I'll have to do some more research.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #18

You are right, you don't need them in most states. If you decide to use the Falcon (similar to Blue Ox) it comes with most of the wiring. I was surprised at how easy this really is to set up. The brake buddy we use, is not wired through the brakes on the Jeep. We set it on the drivers' floor when we are towing.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Brad - the brakes on that old CJ wouldn't do much more than provide a bit of drag in any case. Ahhh .... The memories of a CJ7 that once graced the garage.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #20

Vaughan, from what I remember, you held the steering wheel tight before braking because you never knew which lane you were headed to once you hit the brakes . I'm not sure that would be a good thing when being towed.

I'll have to mess with it. It looks like most of the supplemental systems require power brakes, which may mean they don't have enough power to apply non-power brakes through the pedal. I was hoping for Invisi-brake, but definitely requires power assist brakes.

There is that awful drum brake on the driveshaft for the emergency brake. Too bad that can't be used for trailer braking. At least braking would be limited to the rear.