Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #61

I think there is a factory 4-wire pigtail for the rear hitch - at least on the '12 there is. I tucked mine under the belly pan.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 AM   #62

Ya mine did not come with a 4 pin.

Vaughan, I'll have to check out what the box requires, but if it's just the 4 wire I'll t-tap off the back along the frame where it feeds the Redwood taillights.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
Here are pictures of where the camera is mounted.
If I may ask, why did you elect to install the camera below the window, verses above the window where I see most of them installed?
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Ya mine did not come with a 4 pin.

Vaughan, I'll have to check out what the box requires, but if it's just the 4 wire I'll t-tap off the back along the frame where it feeds the Redwood taillights.
AA,
that's where they did all the connections for my 4 pin when they installed it on mine...
jsut tied into the backup, brake, etc... at the rear...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Loving Life,

I'm getting ready! A couple more questions:

Is your Brake buddy a proportional type brake system (applies brake level based on inertia) or is it a preset? And are you happy with it?

Do you put anything between the Jeep and Redwood to keep the Jeep tires from throwing rocks and pitting the paint on the Redwood? I have stock fenders, but I imagine in turns it can throw some stuff.

Ours is a proportional type system. We have been very happy. There is a test button that we check every time we set up. We also periodically check the emergency break away to make sure it engages.
We do not have anything to protect the front of the jeep from rocks. We haven't noticed any major pits or marks. I think we don't get the rock issue because the wheels on the RW are farther forward than they are on a MH. Most rocks, etc would be knocked down by the bottom of the 5th wheel before they would fly out the back.
I see you are from Denver. We are coming back to CO in May, maybe we can connect.
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Always happy to help !! Especially since timing-wise it looks like you will be first ...... lol. Keep me advised how it goes.
Are you planning on splicing into the coach's 7-wire harness at the pinbox and then leading a 4 wire back ? It sounds as though there is no reason to run a 7-wire with the Stay n Play setup.
Wanted to put a quick comment in here--We have a 7 pin that is connected through the back lights. 4 wire is enough if it is just to connect lights. By having the 7 wire, we are able to connect the camera into it--so if we loose the picture on the camera, we know we could have an issue. We have a small motorcycle battery that stays connected to the brake buddy--so if we lost power to the 5th wheel it would be a back up power source. It is another good double check for us.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 AM   #67

Quote:
Ours is a proportional type system. We have been very happy. There is a test button that we check every time we set up. We also periodically check the emergency break away to make sure it engages.
We do not have anything to protect the front of the jeep from rocks. We haven't noticed any major pits or marks. I think we don't get the rock issue because the wheels on the RW are farther forward than they are on a MH. Most rocks, etc would be knocked down by the bottom of the 5th wheel before they would fly out the back.
I see you are from Denver. We are coming back to CO in May, maybe we can connect.
Ironically I don't care about the Jeep paint - I'm worried about the Jeep tires throwing rocks to the back of the Redwood! I may rig a temporary forward flap between the fender and bumper to prevent it.

Give us a shout! Most of May I will be in Las Vegas, some at Chatfield state park by Denver, and the rest at Navajo Reservoir over the holiday.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
AA,
that's where they did all the connections for my 4 pin when they installed it on mine...
jsut tied into the backup, brake, etc... at the rear...
I was figuring that was where they ran it, but haven't checked yet. That was how I wired the trailer lights for the boat when we used to triple tow on our Montana.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 AM   #69

Honestly, we put the camera where it is because of wiring. It was an easy tap to set it up below the window. Putting the camera above would have required the wiring to either be outside or figure out how to snake it through all the insulation in the back wall--while dealing with the big back window. We really wanted to be watching the jeep.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #70

Quote:
Wanted to put a quick comment in here--We have a 7 pin that is connected through the back lights. 4 wire is enough if it is just to connect lights. By having the 7 wire, we are able to connect the camera into it--so if we loose the picture on the camera, we know we could have an issue. We have a small motorcycle battery that stays connected to the brake buddy--so if we lost power to the 5th wheel it would be a back up power source. It is another good double check for us.
Ya, I was thinking of just going 7 to 7. I already need 5 as most of the brake systems have some type of feedback light that I would need to run back to the front of the Redwood at least, and maybe into the cab. I'm thinking the pin box and I could see it in the mirror.

I'm going to go on a limb and try to use the wireless camera option for my Garmin RV760LMT to watch the Jeep. They have a 50 ft extension cable that will bring the antenna to the front of the Redwood, and it can be set up for continuous monitoring. Figured I would take advantage of that option. I'm actually thinking of mounting the camera down by the hitch! I'm kind of more interested in watching the undercarriage than the front, as I'll be able to see trouble with tires, drivetrain, etc. not to mention hitch connections.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 AM   #71

Would be great to connect. Always love visiting other RW owners. We'll be in Monument, CO May through about June 6.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #72

I saw these guys at a recent show. According to Titan engineers this is the best brake system for toads.

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #73

We'll have to look at that - We will be close - we are going to get up as far as Silverton on the train.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
I saw these guys at a recent show. According to Titan engineers this is the best brake system for toads.

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page
Interesting design - it looks like the air compressor system would have to go to the Redwood, and then use an air line to the toad. I will have to look at that. Thanks Titan Guy!