Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmojo
Dave, we had the same question as we found a really great deal on a Dodge 2500 HD Megacab short bed Diesel. We called our prospective dealer and he stated that because of the way Redwood designed the front of the unit, curved in at the bottom, you can pull the Redwoods with a standard hitch in a 6 1/2 foot bed. The guys at Southern RV really know their stuff so I'm sure he's giving me the straight skinny.
You won't have any problems pulling with a short bed ( I did without an issue) BUT I just looked at all of the dually's and bought a f350 dually after looking at the dodge. The problem I saw with the dodge was that even with a dually they were rated for 4700 cargo weight (This has to include you and everything in the truck along with the pin weight). My trailer has a pin weight of around 3400 empty and I figure around 4000 loaded. I also carry extra fuel and this can also add another 500 lbs.

For the record, I LOVE THE CUMMINS DIESEL.... but I don't know why dodge has their trucks so weakly sprung. They have 800 FT. Pounds of torque just like the Chevy and ford so power isn't a problem
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmojo
Dave, we had the same question as we found a really great deal on a Dodge 2500 HD Megacab short bed Diesel. We called our prospective dealer and he stated that because of the way Redwood designed the front of the unit, curved in at the bottom, you can pull the Redwoods with a standard hitch in a 6 1/2 foot bed. The guys at Southern RV really know their stuff so I'm sure he's giving me the straight skinny.
You won't have any problems pulling with a short bed ( I did without an issue) BUT I just looked at all of the dually's and bought a f350 dually after looking at the dodge. The problem I saw with the dodge was that even with a dually they were rated for 4700 cargo weight (This has to include you and everything in the truck along with the pin weight). My trailer has a pin weight of around 3400 empty and I figure around 4000 loaded. I also carry extra fuel and this can also add another 500 lbs.

For the record, I LOVE THE CUMMINS DIESEL.... but I don't know why dodge has their trucks so weakly sprung. They have 800 FT. Pounds of torque just like the Chevy and ford so power isn't a problem

Dave,

I can't say for sure but I thinkthe issue is not with suspension design on the Dodge RAM but rather the legal department being too conservative. I have been told by someone with over 40 years of experience in the industry that that is the problem at Dodge. They basically want to cover their legal rears.

I can only say that when I hitched up my 36RL the first time, my Dodge rear bumper only dropped down 2 1/2 inches. I was expecting 5 or 6 inches. The weakest link that I have found on my truck so far is that the Michelin tires are only rated at 3195 lbs each. I have been told that the only difference in suspension between the SRW and DRW truck is the shock absorbers are stiffer on the DRW. And of course, the published payload rating goes from 3030 lbs to 4760 lbs. Getting up to the higher payload rating, there may start to be some limitations in the suspension system. That may be why it doesn't go up to 6000 lbs.

I have always wondered why there is such a large disparity between the payload ratings of the various brands of trucks. I would like to see an independant agencyestablish what theratings are in reality. But, that will never happen and I am happy to know that I have a very good 3/4 ton truck in my Dodge 3500.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #63

I can tell you from experience that my 11 ford pulls and handles the load and towing so much better than my 10 dodge ever did, both are duallies both had the close to the same power and torque after adding some parts to the dodge and both have the same gear ratio. This ford is twice the truck over the dodge. Just my opinion so don't get mad dodge guys.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #64

Gee... why would we get mad at that?? lol... The main reason I chose a Ram over a ford or chevy is because I get an employee discount..
I've towed the Redwood from Dallas to Tampa to Daytona and up through the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina without issue. The truck performs great for what I need it to do and my towing confidence increases after every new towing situation.
If anyone asks me which 1 ton tow vehicle is best, I'd tell them whichever brand they like but I'd seriously recommend they get a diesel dually with a 4.## gear.

just my 2c
Edited by: TravelinAnderson
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #65
Site Team

Like I had said before, they'll all good trucks these days. I will say I had a 2011 F350 fully loaded SRW that I loved. The truck pulled my trailer without any worry about power. I was going to do some creative stuff with it to help build on the carry ratio of the tires which were rated for 7500lbs max. My wife wanted me to consider a dually because of safty. How could I turn her down? I came back late last night with a 2012 F350 equiped the same as my old truck but this one has training wheels. I can not believe the difference in the ride and control while pulling my trailer. I did load up 1/3 tank of fresh water and I had about 1/3 of the grey tank filled too, so I know I had some weight. This rig now has a VERY solid feel.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #66

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

gizmojo

All dealers will tell your trucks will pull the RW no matter what length bed....Just ask them to show you a short bed without a slider make a full 90 degree turn most of the newer units will make an 88 degree but will pop your rear on a 90...Have your dealer pull one for you just long enough to show you a full 90 ..Most of the dealers have someone there with this set up...If they don't and you do ask them to allow you to tow just far enough to see the full 90
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #67

Our sales person said that you could get close to 90 degrees without a slider in a 6 1/2 foot bed. I didn't press him on how close that actually is.
gizmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #68

May I ask a really stupid question? What is it about a short bed truck that seems to draw people to them? I only ask because I have never had a short bed truck because I use my trucks for towing and hauling (just what they were designed to do) so every time I here of someone requiring there short bed single wheel truck to pull or haul some thing it was not designed to handle it makes me ask that question.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #69

When they stopped building Rancheros and El Caminos the market for short bed PUs went up... If that's not right (it's not) then I don't know.
I do know my crew cab with 8' box is a loooong vehicle... but long wheel bases provide more stability
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #70

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

gismojo

I believe it has a 88 degree ...Very sseldom do you need 90 but I've spent too much time back and fort to get a rig parked and un parked which caused some fusses because of bad information and tight spaces.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #71

In our case, we found a really good deal on the 2006 Dodge Megacab. The Megacab uses the same frame as the long bed, but extends the cab portion of the truck by 20 inches, and uses the short bed. I have to admit that the extra interior space of the Megacab is really nice if you are transporting more than two people, or three pets as we do - and gives you lots of lockable interior storage space.
gizmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #72
Site Team

Ok....ok....I agree with all of you about a 6.5 bed compared to a 8 ft bed. But unlike most of you, folks don't pull their trailers all of the time.Most people buy a trailer and use it as a cabin or pull it only 2 times a yearand because of this a short bed truck is appealing to some.I on the other hand have already pulled my trailer 2000 miles in 3 weeks.

I waited for as long as possible to buy a long bed dually because I wanted to avoid the parking issues. I'm not scared of parking because I spent 20 years of my life behind the wheel of big trucks logging over 1.3 million miles. But it does eliminate many parking spaces. So for retired folks a dually isn't an issue but a younger person still working and raising a family it could be.

I'd hate for people to think that the only way to pull a Redwood is with a dually like a Mobile Suits. I love my Redwood but what turned me on about them in the beginning was that they were lite enough to be pulled by a srw truck. Otherwise I would have skipped the Redwood and gone with the Mobile suites. I'm afraid people will skip over the Redwoods if they think they can only pull them with a dually like I did the Mobile suites.

I pulled my Redwood with a SRW F350 short bed and if it hadn't been for all of the optioned I put on my trailer and truck, it would have been fine. I figure I added around 2000lbs of weight to my entire rig with stuff not everybody needs (extra fuel tank, rolling bed cover,generator,disk brakes, dual pane windows, washer/dryer, 40 lb bottles, slide-in-slide).Also don't believe what is said about a short bed. I didn't have any problems at all pulling or backing my trailer into tight spots without a slider hitch. I never came close enoughto my cab to worry. And for the record....if you ever put a trailer this size at a 90 degree turn....do yourself a favor and hire a driver. It's too hard on the frame and watch those $300 tires flex!

Just my opinion
Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #73

I agree, like I have said before if you are in a 90 degree turn you are in the wrong place. Pull forward and get back under the coach. It is much easier on you and especially your vehicles. Forget the white knuckles - I prefer having blood in my hands.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #74

So from what I am reading the appeal of a short bed is that it is easier to park? isn't there anything else that makes these appealing? Dave I am not starting an argument here I am merely asking a question because I have never owned a short bed truck except to race with.
Everyone is correct that if you have to put your rig in a 90 degree turn backing up it is hard on the tires and spring shackles unfortunately I see thisbeing done everyday at our park.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011

So from what I am reading the appeal of a short bed is that it is easier to park? isn't there anything else that makes these appealing? Dave I am not starting an argument here I am merely asking a question because I have never owned a short bed truck except to race with.
Everyone is correct that if you have to put your rig in a 90 degree turn backing up it is hard on the tires and spring shackles unfortunately I see thisbeing done everyday at our park.

Parking is an issue when you're working or shopping in a city with a 22 ft truck and dual wheels. Trying to park in parking decks or at full shopping centers. Like in my case, my customers are hospitals. I'm going to buy a company car now that I had to buy a dually.

I didn't see a problem with a 90 degree turn....I tried it to see if I could in an emergency, I wanted to make sure I could do it. I was more worried about the bedside than I was the cab. Now keep in mind I was using a Ford. Dodge or GMmaybe different. Also I know my hitch was right because they had to use factory bolt holes when they installed it. I did have my B/W companion moved at far forward toward the cab as it would go and I had it set at the highest setting.

Again, my point isn't that a SRW pulls as good as a dually, or that they can carry as much weight! My point is that not everybody is in my position where I just went out and spent $145,000 on a rig. If they already have a truck that is SRW, they can still buy a Redwood instead of a Jayco Eagle liteor Big Country, if they don't load it up like we did with heavy accessories.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #76

Unfortunately Dave I think you misread my post I know the differences between single rear wheels and duals, I'm asking why short bed trucks are so popular, what is it about them that make people want to buy them like you said parking with a 22 foot truck with duals is tough but so can a 20 foot truck with singles, and as far as parking ramps go in most cases a 4x4 single wheel truck is taller than the dually I have parked in ramps with my 4x4 dually with the headache rack and signal light on top when guys with 4x4 single wheels stock height can't.