Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Hitching/Unhitching at an Angle?

Any guidance on having to hitch or unhitch at an angle and how much of an angle?

....and of course assuming enough cab and tailgate clearance. I would imagine the possibility only less than a 45 degree angle and nowhere near 90 degrees.

....or is this really just a dumb question? I realized this past weekend while unhooking, I had left about a 20 degree angle and realigned the truck and trailer to straighten not wanting to take any chances. Also in a campground in Myrtle beach, there was not enough clearance to back straight in to hook up again.
gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

I have this same problems here at my home when parking the coach. The TV is at a 30* angle from the coach and on a odd slope to boot. As I rise the king pin the release the TV, once that is done I rise the king pin another couple of inches to help on reconnecting. I have my DW hold the tailgate to it won't hit the coach as I pull away. Hook up is just reversed only the king pin is higher than it normally would be because it he angle of the truck and approaching the coach will be different. I really hope that makes sense
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

As long as your tow vehicle has clearance from your unit as you engage your hitch, you are good to go. Usually the tailgate is what you have to keep a close eye on. Where possible, I do my best to get a straight shot. If that's not possible, I have someone spot for me. Never get in too much of a hurry...that's when problems occur.

Bob
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
As long as your tow vehicle has clearance from your unit as you engage your hitch, you are good to go. Usually the tailgate is what you have to keep a close eye on. Where possible, I do my best to get a straight shot. If that's not possible, I have someone spot for me. Never get in too much of a hurry...that's when problems occur.

Bob
Amen brother! That is probably the number 1 reason that damage occurs to RV's
Old 03-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

As with anything, it depends on your pin box...

If a standard plain vanilla pin box, then as much angle before you contact the rv (could even take off tailgate for more clearance...)

but if an auto slider like Pullrite's or Demco's or....
with a capture plate then about 16 degrees either way is pushing the limit since the bottom has a trailing part behind the hitch pin that must be 'captured'
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #6

I know I'll get flamed for this but I can hitch at an almost infinite number of angles. The only requirement is that the truck needs to be in front of the camper. I have the Andersen hitch set-up. Yes, I know, Lippert won't honor their warranty if the front of my camper falls off. That's a claim which is hotly debated. Being a betting man, I was banking on that not happening. So far, so good. The hitching process is so easy, I feel guilty when watching others with a traditional hitch.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

I too feel guilty as my B&W will hitch/unhitch easily at most any angle. My last hitch was a Husky slider & it had to be pretty much straight on or the fight was on to unhitch.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Sometimes when unhooking at an angle you'll get your hitch in a bind where it won't release the pin. If this should happen, use a bungee cord or a piece of rope to hold the hitch release lever open, then gently pull the truck away while holding the trailer brake (leave the electrical hooked up). This will break the pin loose of the hitch jaws without doing any damage.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I know I'll get flamed for this but I can hitch at an almost infinite number of angles. The only requirement is that the truck needs to be in front of the camper. I have the Andersen hitch set-up. Yes, I know, Lippert won't honor their warranty if the front of my camper falls off. That's a claim which is hotly debated. Being a betting man, I was banking on that not happening. So far, so good. The hitching process is so easy, I feel guilty when watching others with a traditional hitch.
I have the same hitch and love it. I do not feel guilty. We all make a choice when hitch shopping.

Rick