Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #1

Hensley TS3 hitch

Thinking of going with the Hensley TS3 hitch to sit in my 2012, 3500HD Chev truck (standard bed) and would like feedback from anyone who has gone from a ridged hitch to the Hensley. Do you really notice a difference? I am presently using a Husky with floating head. My Redwood is right at 15,000 pounds loaded.
brucebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #2

Bruce,
Curious if you have the Tri-glide on your Redwood?

Hensley make some great hitches, but after owning this tri-glide, I'm not sure the two would work well together. Might feel too squishy. If you don't have the standard pinbox on the Redwood, the Hensley would be a nice add!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
Site Team

I don't think you can put the tri-glide on a air ride hitch. You'd have 2 pieces working against each other
Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #4

LOVE my Hensley. I went with the 1” higher mont for the hitch also for a little more rail clearance instead of lowering the the pin 1”. Per Lippert suggestion at the first Rally when they look at my setup. Lowering the pin put me with 4 bolts instead of 5 that they recommended.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

I am on my 2nd Hensley trailer saver hitch. The first one was on a 2001 FL60. We were involved in an accident in 2009 with our Carriage. It totaled the truck and bent the pin box down on the trailer. The frame under the overhang was all bent up, but the hitch stayed connected and they towed the whole united connected. I went with the Hensley when we replaced the TV and have run it since with great result. The Redwood had the Trail Air pin box when we bought it, but I had it changed because I didn't want to run with 2 air cushions. I like the Trailer Saver and never have had a problem with it. I have a on board compressor so its easy to regulate, and with the 4 way head it tows beautifully.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Thanks, to you all for replying. I am torn. My Redwood does have the try-glide but living in the San Diego area I am forced to travel on the California freeway system through the L.A. area in order to get anywhere (about 100 miles worth). These highways are so thrashed that by the time I get to "open spaces" I feel like I've lost all the fillings in my teeth. Consequently, I'll try anything to overcome the jarring. Probably, my best bet is to move away from So. Cal. like everybody else seems to be doing.
Again, thanks for the responses.
Bruce
Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Can't remember if you mentioned ~ but do you have Airbags on the truck ?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

What he said and
What psi in the trail air and your tires ?
does your truck sag very much in the rear ?
both are important as well as the pin wgt and gvw for adjustments to air pressure !

But will have to argue with you on CA being the worse roads !
IMHO, Iraq is probably the only place with worse roads than I just came across from Dallas-Ft Worth on I-20 thru Atlanta to Hilton Head, SC and back
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #9

Thanks, for the replies. I must have a different kind of Trail Air as I am not aware that the psi can be changed??? As for the psi in the tires, I am very diligent in maintaining the 80 Lbs. recommended on the Marathon tires (and that's a whole different issue that I am addressing). I love the comment about the roads in Iraq being worse than those here. But what is disappointing here is that we pay plenty of gasoline tax to maintain the roads in pristine condition but our "fabulous" politicians divert much of it for other other purposes that in turn buy them votes.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #10

Does your king pin have an air bag on it?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 AM   #11

Bruce,
The tri-glide looks like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...35-946229.html

It has an airbag, shock absorber, and the bottom plate moves horizontally with 3 grease zerks on each side. It is heaven for us, based on what we had before. If you don't have that, by all means, look at the Hensley. The cost would be similar and the Hensley would probably perform even better.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #12

no it doesn't have an airbag. This Trail Air seems to just have rubber bushings.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #13

Trail Air also has a Roto Flex pin box. It doesn't have the air bag or shock, but does have the rubber bushings to help take some of the slap out. When we bought our unit, it had the Trail air with the air bag & shock, but since I already had the Hensley Trail Air, I had it traded for the Roto Flex.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #14

No air bag that I can see on the king pin. It says Trail Air, but no bladder or place to fill with air…….just rubber bushings.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 AM   #15

Ya that one will go well with the Hensley
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #16

I have a TS3
Works well for leveling, little smoother ride for the trailer.

The hitch is heavy.
It takes up considerable room in the bed of even an 8' bed truck.
The parts are heavy duty.

The hitch cannot be greased properly.

There are a couple of grease zerks on the pivot arm, but they do not grease the part that actually needs it most.

There are no grease fittings for:
the pins that the jaws pivot on
the pins that the saddle rests on (for and aft pivot) (that is full pin weight on a non greased 1/2" surface)
the 1-1/8" pin the the main block pivots on (left to right)

My hitch was worn within the first year. Hensley reluctantly sent me parts to rebuild the hitch head.

They do not sell repair parts. If the head assembly loosens up, which it will since there is no way to grease it, you can only buy a $600+ hitch head assembly.

The ability to air up or down the hitch has some advantages besides ride comfort.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #17

I am on my 2nd Hensley Hitch. The first one was 8 years old, and the only reason it was replaced is because the TV was totaled in an accident. There was no noticeable damage to the hitch even though the TV was jackknifed and pushed by the trailer and the whole unit was towed in still hooked up. I've had this hitch for about 4 years and it is still in perfect shape. Granted, there are only two grease zerks on the hitch, but the manual lists how to lubricate the other areas. I would rather have a heavy hitch with the ratings of the Hensely than a lighter hitch with lower ratings.