Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Help a Newbie Out

We are looking hard at Redwood. Bought a Heartland Toy Hauler product a year ago, for good reasons, but now realize we don't need the garage and want something with a lot more fit and finish. The one item that I have been researching and struggling with is the suspension, brakes, and tires. I've just joined and am seeing threads regarding all of this but, in a nutshell, can you get independent suspension and 17.5" wheels a an option, in addition to disc brakes? I see nothing on the manufacturer website that clearly denotes this. Thanks!
HueGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

You can get upgraded 171/2 Goodyears & wheels but not the IS system at this time but it's my understanding that Redwood is looking hard at making that an option.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueGrant View Post
We are looking hard at Redwood. Bought a Heartland Toy Hauler product a year ago, for good reasons, but now realize we don't need the garage and want something with a lot more fit and finish. The one item that I have been researching and struggling with is the suspension, brakes, and tires. I've just joined and am seeing threads regarding all of this but, in a nutshell, can you get independent suspension and 17.5" wheels a an option, in addition to disc brakes? I see nothing on the manufacturer website that clearly denotes this. Thanks!
We recently took delivery of a 2016 RW. What we did, with the dealers approval, as we had not actually taken possession of the unit (no $ changed hands yet), was to have the RW taken directly from the factory to MORryde to have the IS and disk brakes installed. The dealer and RW made arrangements to have it transported to MORryde. When it was done, the dealer had it transported from MORryde to his location and then we picked it up from the dealer. One thing to note is that MORryde would like to have the coach attached to your truck to take some measurements - if at all possible. However it is my understanding this not required. It worked out for us as our RW was done just after the 2015 Rally so we were already in Indiana.
scott&phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #4

I don't think any of that is absolutely necessary immediately before/after purchase! I've had mine almost 3 years & nothing has broken, fell off, or blown up yet! Had an alignment & 1 tire replaced under warranty in the first 8 months, replaced all 4 brakes assemblies at 1 year old due to grease contamination with reimbursement from RW, replaced shackles & bushings at 2 years old, & so far (knock on wood) no issues with the g rated tires. If you order the 17.5 wheel option on 8k axles with disc brakes you already took care of a couple of the known problems. I would like to have the IS & disc brakes, but until something horrible happens I'll have to wait.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
You can get upgraded 171/2 Goodyears & wheels but not the IS system at this time but it's my understanding that Redwood is looking hard at making that an option.
I really don't understand why this is such a big deal for RW. We were told by RW 2 years ago that Lippert balks at the idea of allowing RW to offer the IS, but there are other 5th wheels out there using a Lippert chassis, in the RW price range, that have the IS either standard or available as an option.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #6

Instead of Lippert balking at owners taking their components off of RVs in search of a better built, better design, more reliable replacement component, why does Lippert not build a better built, better designed, more reliable component themselves ???

Oh yea, I forgot its all about the $$$
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Other than the President swings a golf club with the Lippert exec once a week and their kids play together, the Falcon trade name would be violated by going outside of Lippert for a chassis component.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:46 AM   #8

Well don't know if you could convince them, but we did have Mor/ryde IS installed on our 2016 MB. It went to Mor/ryde before going to paint. So you could really put pressure on your Dealer & Redwood and maybe make it happen.
As for RW making it an option, last word I heard was "NO", but they do plan to offer something else that's several steps above the standard but not quite a good as IS as it will still have leafsprings.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 PM   #9

As long as Lippert is the main structure on the RW... You will never see Mor/Ryde anything as options.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #10

Ford truck guy: You are correct! We had a Morryde Rubber Pin box installed on ours. The Dealer didn't understand why we didn't want the Trail Air. I am not happy with Trail Air products, had them before and just don't like them. Plus, we have a Trailer Saver Hitch with Air Bags! I will in all likelihood put an IS system on our Unit once our warranty is up! My Opinion: Morryde makes a superior product!
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Since the parent company "Thor" bought Mobile Suites, they'll probably be loosing the IS suspension as well. Once Thor cheep-ins that product line, there will be a real need for a upper end 5er in the $130-$160k price point
Old 09-14-2015, 03:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
As long as Lippert is the main structure on the RW... You will never see Mor/Ryde anything as options.....
Which is sad - they got all wrapped up in this Falcon thing, yet you can look at a Big Sky and it has Lippert frame Mor-Ryde LRE, Mor-Ryde pin box, Dexter axles....

When I looked at the falcon chart, I didn't realize at the time is was a selling pitch for the OTHER BRANDS ! Note, Competitor 1 was Carriage (original), and Competitor 2 was Montana
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Document1.jpg (89.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-14-2015, 03:46 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Which is sad - they got all wrapped up in this Falcon thing, yet you can look at a Big Sky and it has Lippert frame Mor-Ryde LRE, Mor-Ryde pin box, Dexter axles....

When I looked at the falcon chart, I didn't realize at the time is was a selling pitch for the OTHER BRANDS ! Note, Competitor 1 was Carriage (original), and Competitor 2 was Montana

Good point!

I was told that Lippert was using the Redwood brand to show potential buyers what they were really capable of building. At the time there were some real problems with frames being made by Lippert for other brands and Lippert was claiming that their frames were being built to each manufactures specs.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Good point!

I was told that Lippert was using the Redwood brand to show potential buyers what they were really capable of building. At the time there were some real problems with frames being made by Lippert for other brands and Lippert was claiming that their frames were being built to each manufactures specs.
Ya Lippert is really good at pushing the blame elsewhere - in fact even at Redwood. When I got called by Brad Smith with Lippert about my spring issue, he said from the pics that Redwood installed everything wrong.

I was on the wrong end of a Keystone frame issue - and I'm pretty sure Keystone never wrote into their spec that crummy welds were to be used. the welds broke on mine, not the frame.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Good point!

Well I guess we now know what Lippert's potential really is and this is the best they can do !

If this is the absolute best Lippert can do, I am not impressed !

Old 09-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
Well I guess we now know what Lippert's potential really is and this is the best they can do !

If this is the absolute best Lippert can do, I am not impressed !

Yaaa............plastic spring bushings on 16000 lb plus trailers.......that's really impressive engineering........NOT!!!

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #17

I don't know who supplies the bushing, but Redwood installs the springs and axles onto the Frame.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #18

I believe that come on the Lippert Axle and Spring Assemblies that Redwood purchases.
When we did the plant tour, there was a stack of 7k ad 8k axles with springs assemblies, I pretty sure I saw the springs already had the plastic bushings in them.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I don't know who supplies the bushing, but Redwood installs the springs and axles onto the Frame.
The bushings came from LCI, Lippert, Falcon FIT marketing to Redwood engineering and trying to save a few cents on a luxury 5th wheel. It doesn't make any SENSE. I was born and raised on an Indiana farm where life was real and you learned a lot the hard way. I worked my way through the military and college to become an engineer, but, I knew way back when I was on the farm that I would not use plastic bushings on 1000 lbs utility trailer, let alone a "high quality" $100,000 plus RV. When I recently upgraded the suspension with the Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 and Heavy Duty Shackles kit, I found that those plastic bushings were shredded and probably had been since the first year. That just should not be acceptable for Lippert's marketing/engineering or Redwood's marketing/engineering! It is on the edge of being dishonest! JMHO

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
What makes me mad is that most of us consumers would pay a little more to have the proper items installed when we buy them. Bronze bushings 8K axles more Ryde centerpoint etc even having someone go over the coach to ensure it is put together with the proper screws etc and not have to have the aggravation that a lot of these issues caise