Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #21

Yes sir, the CDL discussion is fun, and so is the one about whether RVs should stop at weigh stations. Lots of information and opinions, but I'm still not sure what the right answers are.
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
Yes sir, the CDL discussion is fun, and so is the one about whether RVs should stop at weigh stations. Lots of information and opinions, but I'm still not sure what the right answers are.
Unless you are a commercial driver DO NOT stop at weigh stations, all you'll do is piss off the truck drivers for being in the way.
As for the CDL, at least in Texas, it all depends on who you ask at what time??? I don't have one & have towed coast to coast border to border without any problems, so until they can make up their mind "I don't need one".
Sorry to hijack this thread!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #23

No, travelin' T, I appreciate the input. I've been working hard to ensure that my new rig is completely legal in every way. But now it looks like adding the new fuel tank just opened another can of worms for me.

According to the TX DPS website, a Class C license authorizes an individual to drive a "Single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds"

A Class A license authorizes an individual to drive a "single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more
A combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds"

In April we took the new truck and trailer to the CAT scales and our gross combined weight was 25660 lbs, and our trailer was 13380 lbs. Now I've added six hundred pounds of tank, fuel, and tools to the truck. I've unquestionably stepped over the 26,001 pound line, and I don't even have my mountain bike, scuba gear, and kayak loaded up yet!

Thanks for mentioning the non-commercial license discussion, bergeman, that's one more unforeseen detail for me to work out.
Well, I'd better go now, I have to study for my Class A license.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #24

Doesn't the last line in that list of "what its" not still state "unless a personal rv" or "personal use" or something to that effect, the last time I looked it did. By all means if you think you need the class A get it, but like I said I've gotten too many yes/no/maybe answers for me to run right down & sign up, besides the last several years we've only spent 4-6 weeks in Texas annually, to visit grandkids & have vehicles inspected (thank goodness that's about to go away).
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #25

Travelin' T, this is an excerpt from a 2009 article on the Family Motor Coach Association site:

"According to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), drivers whose motorhomes' GVWR exceeds 26,000 pounds should hold an exempt (noncommercial) Class B or Class A license.

A Class B is required if the motorhome does not tow anything, or tows a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. A Class A is required if the combined weight of the vehicle and any towed vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds and the towed vehicle has a GVWR greater than 10,000 pounds.

“I’ve been a full-timer based in Texas since March 2003 and was not aware of the special license requirement,” Mr. Leith said. “I wonder how many others aren’t aware of it either, in their states. I’m told many states have similar license requirements.”

Beth Roberts of the commercial drivers' license (CDL) section at DPS headquarters described the requirements for obtaining a Texas exempt Class B or Class A license. “When a driver goes to the driver license office to upgrade their license, they will need to fill out the CDL-2 form, which states that they seek a Class A or B license that is exempted by the Texas Commercial Driver License Act. The option they will need to check is number 4, for ‘A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.’

“They will be exempt from various fees, laws, and regulations that apply to CDL holders,” Ms. Roberts continued, “but they will still need to take the core CDL written test and a driving test in the class of vehicle they would like to have on their license. If the vehicle has air brakes, they will also need to take the air brakes test. Each test costs $10.”

The Leiths have talked with other motorhome owners who have tested for the noncommercial Class B license in other Texas towns. “Some of our friends didn't have to parallel park but had to do other things that we didn't ... and examiners took them out in the country for the road test," Mr. Leith said.

Before taking the driving skills tests -- which consisted of basic vehicle control and on-road driving -- Mr. Leith passed a 20-question written test. The test questions for motorhomes over 26,000 pounds are covered in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook, he said.

For specific information on the testing, Ms. Roberts advises Texas residents to contact their local Texas DPS driver license office that administers the tests.

Mr. Leith, meanwhile, encourages all FMCA members who drive heavier coaches to make sure they are legally licensed. "I hope people check their states' requirements before getting in trouble with the law or their insurance companies," he said. "I've heard that some RV insurance companies are denying coverage for accidents if drivers don't have the correct license."
Old 05-29-2017, 06:23 PM   #26

Thanks Randalf, That was a good overview. I think in the end it is required but not enforced. I asked my Redwood Dealer and I was told you do not need a special license for Redwoods.

I see you are SCUBA Diver, last year I traveled with 4 tanks, I suspect there are special rules for securing the tanks. Another thread on SCUBA Tank transportation?

This year, I'll probably leave my SCUBA gear at home as during the whole summer, I only got two shore dives in.

Have you gone to Balmorhea State park? This fall a be a good time for a Redwood/SCUBA Rally at Balmorhea if anyone is interested.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
Thanks Randalf, That was a good overview. I think in the end it is required but not enforced. I asked my Redwood Dealer and I was told you do not need a special license for Redwoods.

I see you are SCUBA Diver, last year I traveled with 4 tanks, I suspect there are special rules for securing the tanks. Another thread on SCUBA Tank transportation?

This year, I'll probably leave my SCUBA gear at home as during the whole summer, I only got two shore dives in.

Have you gone to Balmorhea State park? This fall a be a good time for a Redwood/SCUBA Rally at Balmorhea if anyone is interested.
WOW! Never heard of the place. Need to put that one on "The List".
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:08 AM   #28

bergeman, I always worry about being the one-in-a-million guy who does get caught, or gets in an accident and my insurance won't cover it. I'm a retired cop, and I seriously doubt whether anyone I ever worked with (city or county) knew or cared about RV licenses. However, there's some DPS weights & measures guy out there somewhere who DOES know the rules, and I don't want to run afoul of him.

I haven't been diving in a couple of years, but I did go diving in Balmorhea several years ago. I was working part time as a dive master with a shop in San Antonio and they set the trip up. My wife, daughter & I enjoyed it a lot, and would like to go back again. We stayed in the lodges the last time, so I don't know how the RV grounds are. Spindrift, it's definitely worth the trip to visit Balmorhea, Fort Davis, and The McDonald Observatory. I hear good things about the Davis Mountains State Park, but haven't been yet.

I'm planning to take my basic dive bag & one cylinder with us when we hit the road. I'm leaning toward taking one of my steel high-pressure 117 cubic footers because I can get two or three dives off of it, and it gives me more air for filling tires in an emergency.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #29

Quick post-script re: the RDS tank. Last week I made a trip to Cortez CO from Central Texas (without fifth wheel) and finally had a chance to use the tank. The first thing I discovered was that it is NOT the 60 gallon tank that I ordered, it holds precisely 50 gallons when filled to the top. The good news is that it did not splash out of the top fitting, and diesel fuel expansion did not cause it to overflow. The gravity feed works slowly but well. I let the factory tank run down until the warning light came on, then flipped the aux tank valve on. It took several hours to fill the factory tank, but the gravity flow rate was definitely good enough to stay ahead of demand if I were towing our RV and getting only 7 mpg. The shallow toolbox holds my heavier tools (bottle jack, larger wrenches, cheater bar, cordless tools, trailer hitch, etc.) which frees up basement space.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with this upgrade, and really enjoy the peace of mind of having a 900 mile range without trailer, and 600 miles while towing.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #30

My experience demonstrates that if you're not careful and overfill the tank in hot weather, fuel expansion will cause a mess in the bed.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #31

My intent was to heed your earlier advise, spindrift, and only put 50 gallons in the supposedly 60 gallon tank. I topped it off for the first time in Cortez CO and was surprised when the pump kicked off at exactly 50 gallons. When I climbed into the bed and looked in the filler I saw that it was full to the brim. I drove home on the truck tank only, with the aux tank turned off. I kept monitoring it for overflow, but even with all the sloshing around on rough oil patch roads, and the change in temp from 90 in Colorado to 102 in Texas there was no spillage.

I'm using up the fuel in the aux tank right now so that I can remount the tank and drill a new hole in the bed for the line to run through. The guys at the shop offset the hole in the corner of the bed so that the fuel line runs through at a severe angle, and they did not put a rubber bushing around it. I'll correct that. They also used two funny spring-loaded 1/4" bolts to hold the tank down, even though the instructions clearly state that three high-grade 3/8" bolts should be used. After that, I'll add an overflow tube & valve to the tank vent, and only fill it to 45 gallons.