Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,399
I spent some time on this forum several months ago discussing preferences for tow vehicles. Finally after searching for weeks I found a brand new Ford F350 Crew cab single rear wheel long bed. It is a 2011 that had never been sold and with great reservation (I'm not a Ford lover)I made the purchase. I recently made our first long trip with the 31sl in tow. We went round trip from Louisiana to Minnesota and back. Let me tell you, this Ford Super Duty has made a believer of me. Prior to this vehicle I towed with a Dodge 2500 with the Cummins 5.9. I drove anywhere from 280 to 480 miles per day and I just set the cruise on 60 and let the truck do it's thing. The first two days I drove all day in 100 - 102 degree temps. The 6.7 diesel with the 6 speed automatic transmission performed flawlessly. This truck is so quiet and shifts so quietly that you don't even realize you are in a truck pulling 14,000 lbs down the highway. I have been thinking of having disc brakes installed on my RW 31sl but the integrated exhaust brake has almost changed my mind. The exhaust brake kicks in when the brake is depressed and will slow this thing down fast. The built in hill holder kept the truck and trailer at a complete standstill on a steep incline stop until I pressed the accelerator. With only 6,000 miles on this truck I managed to average around 12 mpg traveling 60 mph. I'm hoping that the mileage will increase after the engine really gets broken in. Never did I wonder if this truck was out of it's league. I know this may sound like I have stock in Ford and I'm being paid for a commercial but trust me, out of all the big three heavy duties, Ford was my last choice!! Now I may be forced to swallow my pride and admit "Ford Rules"!
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
johnboytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,054

You are not alone...

the engine and tranny (and well the Platinum package) have not disappointed me at all

and with stock suspension my rear end only sags about 2 inches or so with the heavy 38gk on the back...

As Piperguy said, maybe its the extra length of the gk that distributes more of the weight to the trailer than the rear axle of my tow vehicle...

But each of the big 3 have something to offer now that works.... after all, they've been studying each other for decades

And on edit,
have you discovered the gear display and have you tried putting it into manual mode and leaving it into sixth gear?
I do that 90% of the time when I can get away with it so there's less drama when going up and down small grades... it allows the turbo to pull you over without downshifting, then upshifting, etc....



Edited by: johnboytoo
__________________
Ours: '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT followed closely by '14 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler.
Hers: '13 Explorer Sport - AWD 365hp twin turbo scooter!
Previous: '13 Ford F350 CC Platinum and '13 38GK
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo
You are not alone...

the engine and tranny (and well the Platinum package) have not disappointed me at all

and with stock suspension my rear end only sags about 2 inches or so with the heavy 38gk on the back...

As Piperguy said, maybe its the extra length of the gk that distributes more of the weight to the trailer than the rear axle of my tow vehicle...

But each of the big 3 have something to offer now that works.... after all, they've been studying each other for decades

And on edit,
have you discovered the gear display and have you tried putting it into manual mode and leaving it into sixth gear?
I do that 90% of the time when I can get away with it so there's less drama when going up and down small grades... it allows the turbo to pull you over without downshifting, then upshifting, etc....


Are you referring to taking it out of tow/haul mode? I have not done that but I have a friend with the old 7.3 and he says he pulls in overdrive all the time.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101


Wow, a NOS 2011. That is quite a find!

That 7.3 doesn't have near the transmission you have (Torqueshift). He has to do what he has to do, and he'll still have to rebuild it every once in a while.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant

Wow, a NOS 2011.* That is quite a find!
*
That 7.3 doesn't have near the transmission you have (Torqueshift).* He has to do what he has to do, and he'll still have to rebuild it every once in a while.
It was quite a find. I was searching all over the United States and this one finally showed up 150 miles from my house. The price was right and the trade they gave me was great too!! They said they purchased it from another dealer and the man that was going to buy it ended up not liking the color so it was placed in the back of the dealership and then another dealer bought the dealership and started bringing in additional vehicles. Months went by before they discovered they still had the pickup. Enough said, it's mine now!!
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
johnboytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,054

This is my 2nd 6.7 = had a 2012 250 that I liked, but LOVE the 13 350
fyi - I rarely use tow haul - this drive train doesn't need it 90% of the time, even with my heavy 38gk !

Glad to help - even though the dogs beat the Tiga's, I'm still in a good mood...

glad to talk over what we've discovered on ours -
send me a pm with your cell and can help the learning curve on these nice trucks...

or you can go to ford-trucks.com, they have a 6.7 specific forum that I've been going to for years - some very knowledgeable people there too: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/




Edited by: johnboytoo
__________________
Ours: '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT followed closely by '14 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler.
Hers: '13 Explorer Sport - AWD 365hp twin turbo scooter!
Previous: '13 Ford F350 CC Platinum and '13 38GK
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Blenhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 656

[/QUOTE]Are you referring to taking it out of tow/haul mode? I have not done that but I have a friend with the old 7.3 and he says he pulls in overdrive all the time. [/QUOTE]

I thinks he is talking about the small rocker button up on the shifter lever toward the dash that allows you to hold a gear if you wish. I use it some and like to see what gear I'm in.
__________________
2013 Redwood 34SK, 2017 F350 Dually
Grain Valley, Mo
Blenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 333
Rick, we also have a 2011 and we love it.

A couple of suggestions that you may want to look at.

If the 2011 is an early build, they had slightly lower HP and torque, Ford provided a re-flash to the computer to bring the HP up to 400 to Beat the competition. I would assume that the re-flash was done by your dealer but you may want to ask.

The early 2011's also had an issue with harsh shifting, partially cured with a re-flash and in the worst case cured with a replacement of some tranny components.

The final issue that our truck exhibits is a bit of a shudder from a start with the trailer connected. It is a driveline issue that hasn't been fully solved by Ford. It doesn't worry me and I'm loath to have the dealer rip the driveline apart as "the cure may be worse than the disease". It may be a DRW only issue.
__________________
2013 Redwood 36RL, 2011 F-450, Sat Internet, Sat TV
almcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 514
I have the 2012 F450 Lariat and I am well satisfied as well. I only drive 55 MPH and don't know it is back there. Also got 12.5 MPG with it in the towing mode.
__________________
2012 Ford F450 Lariat FX4 dually, 2013 Redwood 36FB Red and Black Painted
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I thinks he is talking about the small rocker button up on the shifter lever toward the dash that allows you to hold a gear if you wish. I use it some and like to see what gear I'm in.
No, 7.3 wasn't that fancy. It was they typical button in the end of the transmission shifter that let you take it out of overdrive. These were 3 sp autos with OD.Edited by: atom ant
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Site Team
 
Blenhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 656
My mistake. I had meant to quote the following.

"have you discovered the gear display and have you tried putting it into manual mode and leaving it into sixth gear?
I do that 90% of the time when I can get away with it so there's less drama when going up and down small grades... it allows the turbo to pull you over without downshifting, then upshifting, etc...."
__________________
2013 Redwood 34SK, 2017 F350 Dually
Grain Valley, Mo
Blenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
My mistake. I had meant to quote the following.

"have you discovered the gear display and have you tried putting it into manual mode and leaving it into sixth gear?
I do that 90% of the time when I can get away with it so there's less drama when going up and down small grades... it allows the turbo to pull you over without downshifting, then upshifting, etc...."
Oh man - I'm sorry. Now that I see what you were saying I was way off base!

I
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc
Rick, we also have a 2011 and we love it.

A couple of suggestions that you may want to look at.

If the 2011 is an early build, they had slightly lower HP and torque, Ford provided a re-flash to the computer to bring the HP up to 400 to Beat the competition. I would assume that the re-flash was done by your dealer but you may want to ask.

The early 2011's also had an issue with harsh shifting, partially cured with a re-flash and in the worst case cured with a replacement of some tranny components.

The final issue that our truck exhibits is a bit of a shudder from a start with the trailer connected. It is a driveline issue that hasn't been fully solved by Ford. It doesn't worry me and I'm loath to have the dealer rip the driveline apart as "the cure may be worse than the disease". It may be a DRW only issue.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check that out. I have noticed occasionally a hard shift but it is only when the truck is cold. I have the single rear wheel long bed and I also notice some shudder from a start but like you, I don't think it's worth noting at this point.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
The Ford F series Super Duty is an amazing machine. After 35 years as a commercial contractor I have seen nothing to compare to it. I was so impressed with my 2011 F250 I traded for a 2013 F350. Will pull my 38GK
up a 2%-3% grade and gain speed doing it. All with the comforts of a luxury car.
__________________
RR
rayrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
Dan
Senior Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrussel
The Ford F series Super Duty is an amazing machine. After 35 years as a commercial contractor I have seen nothing to compare to it. I was so impressed with my 2011 F250 I traded for a 2013 F350. Will pull my 38GK
up a 2%-3% grade and gain speed doing it. All with the comforts of a luxury car.

Wish we had 2%-3% grades around here all I have seen around here are 8%-12%
__________________

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Oriana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,257
Dan - having spent a couple of weeks in the Interior this past summer, I can vouch for that.
__________________

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
sinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 506
Rick a hard shift earlier on could be the transmission going through its self learning mode. This is especially true when you first start towing after hook up and also when you unhook and drive just the truck for the first several miles at 40-45 mph.
__________________
Dean & Pam - SOB
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc
Rick, we also have a 2011 and we love it.

A couple of suggestions that you may want to look at.

If the 2011 is an early build, they had slightly lower HP and torque, Ford provided a re-flash to the computer to bring the HP up to 400 to Beat the competition. I would assume that the re-flash was done by your dealer but you may want to ask.

The early 2011's also had an issue with harsh shifting, partially cured with a re-flash and in the worst case cured with a replacement of some tranny components.

The final issue that our truck exhibits is a bit of a shudder from a start with the trailer connected. It is a driveline issue that hasn't been fully solved by Ford. It doesn't worry me and I'm loath to have the dealer rip the driveline apart as "the cure may be worse than the disease". It may be a DRW only issue.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check that out. I have noticed occasionally a hard shift but it is only when the truck is cold. I have the single rear wheel long bed and I also notice some shudder from a start but like you, I don't think it's worth noting at this point.
I had the shutter in my 2006 SRW, and this 2008 DRW. Kind of annoying. I don't remember it in my 2000 SRW.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
Roads seem steeper than they are. A 3%-4% grade is pretty steep and is the max engineers try to maintain. You will find some 7% grades around the Rockies but they are rare and difficult to handle. I'll leave towing a 25,000lb. rig up a 10%-12% slope up to you guys.
__________________
RR
rayrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrussel
Roads seem steeper than they are. A 3%-4% grade is pretty steep and is the max engineers try to maintain. You will find some 7% grades around the Rockies but they are rare and difficult to handle. I'll leave towing a 25,000lb. rig up a 10%-12% slope up to you guys.
The last leg of I-70 into Denver is 7% (they lie ) and it goes for miles and miles. I grew up here, but it still stresses me a little when towing.

After a great week we were coming back to Denver and it was raining extremely hard, I couldn't see the lanes, and at night with the flashing signs I felt like we were on a ride in a spook house:

"TRUCKERS - YOU ARE NOT DOWN YET - 11 MORE MILES OF 7% GRADES - USE LOW GEAR"

"RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP 1/2 MILE AHEAD"

"SPEED LIMIT 45 - VEHICLES OVER 26,000 LBS" (we are 26,350 lbs)

"RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP 1/4 MILE AHEAD - KEEP RIGHT LANE CLEAR"

"ROAD CONSTRUCTION 5000 FEET - BE PREPARED TO STOP"

"FOR FLASH FLOOD - CLIMB UP"

"MERGING TRAFFIC"

"DEER CROSSING"

At the last sign, my DW looked at me with white knuckles on the dashboard and said "that deer can just forget it!" Edited by: atom ant
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×