Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #21

That's the bad thing about steep downgrades in a heavy rain. They recommend that you use extreme caution with an exhaust or Jacob's brake. Some recommend that you don't use them at all.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrussel
Roads seem steeper than they are. A 3%-4% grade is pretty steep and is the max engineers try to maintain. You will find some 7% grades around the Rockies but they are rare and difficult to handle. I'll leave towing a 25,000lb. rig up a 10%-12% slope up to you guys.
On the Coquihalla Hwy through the Rockies East of Vancouver, 6% grades are unfortunately fairly common, with the climb to the summit being 8%. Fortunately it was a dry day when we came down. Hwy #3, which is another option through the Rockies also has numerous 6 & 7% grades. These grades are as posted on the Hwy signs.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana
Quote:
Roads seem steeper than they are. A 3%-4% grade is pretty steep and is the max engineers try to maintain. You will find some 7% grades around the Rockies but they are rare and difficult to handle. I'll leave towing a 25,000lb. rig up a 10%-12% slope up to you guys.
On the Coquihalla Hwy through the Rockies East of Vancouver, 6% grades are unfortunately fairly common, with the climb to the summit being 8%. Fortunately it was a dry day when we came down. Hwy #3, which is another option through the Rockies also has numerous 6 & 7% grades. These grades are as posted on the Hwy signs.
I have not experienced any of these steep grades yet. How did your Ford do coming down and what is your strategy starting at the top? Do you start down at a very low speed and hit the brakes ocassionally or downshift and let the integrated exhaust brake keep you at a reasonable speed?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
Site Team

The trucks do a good job holding the rigs back in the normal auto trailer towing mode. I was traveling down a few 7 percent grades 15 miles long in the rockies and then I put the tranny in manual mode and kept the rpms where I wanted them.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy
Quote:
Quote:
I have not experienced any of these steep grades yet. How did your Ford do coming down and what is your strategy starting at the top? Do you start down at a very low speed and hit the brakes ocassionally or downshift and let the integrated exhaust brake keep you at a reasonable speed?

On the 6% grades I shifted down to 3000 RPM and the truck maintained a constant speed of 55 - 60 mph, didn't have to touch the brakes.

On the 8% I slowed down to about 40 - 45mph and shifted down, had to use the brakes a couple of times. Next time I will use manual, but didn't want to try it this time, as the gear indicator on the display currently doesn't work. I was using the Tachometer only.

At the top of the 8% it was a bit nervy, as DW distracted me to open the rear window & something else, but once I downshifted and under control it felt OK. Knuckles were a wee bit white till I got to the bottom.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #26
Dan

[/QUOTE] On the Coquihalla Hwy through the Rockies East of Vancouver, 6% grades are unfortunately fairly common, with the climb to the summit being 8%. Fortunately it was a dry day when we came down. Hwy #3, which is another option through the Rockies also has numerous 6 & 7% grades. These grades are as posted on the Hwy signs. [/QUOTE]

Andy

I have been up and down route 3 several times it sure will test out any truck. There is a route just outside Castlegar that is 12% and all switchbacks, what a hairy ride that is. Even with my truck pumping out 400 hp it sure made her grunt. With all the switchbacks you just can't get any run ons for the next pull. You got to keep an eye on the EGT's, you can literally melt these new diesels, they run very hot to start with and a hard pull like the number 3 the EGT's can get out of hand very quickly.
Being in the far west if we head east we have to go through Golde/Rodgers pass or the #3 and if we go south we have to go through Grants pass, seem like there is lots and lots of mountain ranges no matter where we go

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
That's the bad thing about steep downgrades in a heavy rain. They recommend that you use extreme caution with an exhaust or Jacob's brake. Some recommend that you don't use them at all.
Not an issue for me - I don't have either

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy
Quote:
Quote:
Mine is almost an antique truck compared to all the folks with the 6.7, but on the Colorado side of I-70 it does like to run away a bit on the downhill side. I try to not ever let it run over 3,500 rpm, and if it does, I use a hard brake to bring it back down to where I like it, rather than a slow drag on the brakes that cause heat. I have to say this is the heaviest rig I have towed by quite a bit, and these disk brakes make it childs play.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #29

Dan - On Hwy # 3 I bypassed the Creston to Castlegar stretch, which I believe has the 12% grade. At Creston I headed up Kootenay Lake and came over on the ferry, then down through Nelson to Castlegar. Probably takes an extra couple of hours, but it was a good mostly level road. I'll take this detour again if using Hwy # 3.

Coming West, the hill down into Osoyoos was white knuckle.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
Dan

Quote:
Dan - On Hwy # 3 I bypassed the Creston to Castlegar stretch, which I believe has the 12% grade. At Creston I headed up Kootenay Lake and came over on the ferry, then down through Nelson to Castlegar. Probably takes an extra couple of hours, but it was a good mostly level road. I'll take this detour again if using Hwy # 3.

Coming West, the hill down into Osoyoos was white knuckle.

Andy

Last time I came down the hill into Osoyoos my wife had her hand on the door handle ready to jump there was a big truck with red hot brakes coming down behind us

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #31

Oh Boy... I sure miss all this being in Ontario now... The road coming out of or into Golden was always fun even without a 43 foot trailer on the back. Plan to travel out west to Calgary and Kelowna with our unit next year. Guess I better start planning routes.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #32

Brad - you're probably thinking of the climb out of Golden heading East. They have done some recent work widening the road, but some corners are still tight.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:41 PM   #33

I hear you! I wasn't a Ford fan either, but then my friend got a Ford Chassis Cab F450 XL and I was impressed. It seemed tough, handled well, and they raved about it. So, three years ago, I took a leap and got my own F450 XL. Best decision ever!

It's been rock solid for me. Hauls anything I throw at it, comfortable on long trips, and surprisingly quiet inside. Sure, I had a minor brake issue once, but hey, even I mess up sometimes!

Sounds like you found a winner with your F350 too. Who knows, maybe Ford has surprised both of us
NIOMARVIN83 is offline   Reply With Quote