Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 03:20 AM   #1

First tow with the discs

Just got into Delaware for our first trip after having the Titans installed.. What a feeling knowing you can stop when and where you want to! To anyone who do not have factory discs, i have to tell you to spend the cash ( if possible) and have it done..
Its truly a night and day difference...

And what better way to accent the new brakes then with the Mor/Ryde SRE4000... This tow was absolutly wonderful...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 AM   #2
Site Team

We did ours last year (MORRyde IS and Kodiak disc brakes) have towed about 7 k miles and still have the same feeling you just described.

Will NEVER own anothe fifth wheel without either. Have to remind myself she's back there occasionally and love being able to stop every bit as well as the truck alone if not better.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 AM   #3
Site Team

We did ours last year (MORRyde IS and Kodiak disc brakes) have towed about 7 k miles and still have the same feeling you just described.

Will NEVER own anothe fifth wheel without either. Have to remind myself she's back there occasionally and love being able to stop every bit as well as the truck alone if not better.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Yesterday, in Harrison, Ar. going down a hill, Hwy 412 turn left onto Hwy 62. Not going more than 25-30 mph but some young girl turned right in front of me. There is no way I could have stopped without disc brakes. Exhaust brakes are great and work extremely well but in an emergency stop nothing works like disc brakes. I have a set of brakes with your name on it. Sorry, Joe you already got yours.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
Yesterday, in Harrison, Ar. going down a hill, Hwy 412 turn left onto Hwy 62. Not going more than 25-30 mph but some young girl turned right in front of me. There is no way I could have stopped without disc brakes. Exhaust brakes are great and work extremely well but in an emergency stop nothing works like disc brakes. I have a set of brakes with your name on it. Sorry, Joe you already got yours.

Ron...........glad to hear you are okay. I have never regretted having upgraded and ordered the disk brakes for our RW.

Ron, I think you have posted previously that you have had several years experience in the tire business. I have a question about tire wear. I have Goodyear G614, G load rating tires on our coach. As part of the work that I have done recently including upgrading the suspension system with the Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 Equalizer and Heavy Duty Shackles Kit and replacing the wheel bearings, when I removed the wheels, I discovered that I had two tires significantly worn. On the left side (the heavy side), the left front tire was worn severely on the inside shoulder down to the bottom of slot. The tire on the left rear axle was worn down on the outside shoulder and was worn down to within 1/16 inch of the slot bottom. Is this an axle alignment issue or something else?

I have read on another forum that if wheel bearings are too loose, that it can cause the tire to wear on the inside shoulder. Is this true? Unfortunately, when I removed the wheels, I did not check for wheel bearing looseness.

Relative to the 4 tires, the left (heavy side) tires were both worn the worst but opposite shoulders. The right rear side tire was worn in a similar manner on one shoulder. The right front tire almost looks new, showing very little wear. I am planning and have already ordered two new tires to replace the two left side tires.

As an aside, while at the Redwood rally, I had my tire pressure gauge checked and found that my gauge was in error by 5.5%. When I thought I was pumping the tires to 110 psi, I was only setting them to 104 psi. That may be part of the explanation for the unusual tire wear.

Just puzzled by the way the tires have worn. Thanks for any insight.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #6

Wheel bearings can cause tire wear but it not a high probability. I am guessing it is alignment. I had alignment problems on my previous RW and prompted me to go with the IS because it can be aligned. After buying the IS found that not many actually align it. Anyway, the only way to align the lippert is to bend the axle. Because hollow tube axles were never meant to be bent not many actually attempt it. There is a guy in Tucson that actually removes the axles to bend them(the right way). Axles are cheap, alignments are not.
Many state " that's the way the Goodyear wears" Bull, properly aligned tires will not wear irregularly.

Ron & Margaret
Old 09-06-2015, 03:02 AM   #7

On my other trailer I had G 614's and My tires had what sounds to be exactly that same thing... The tire guy I went to called it Shoulder Step.... He even showed me in the Goodyear site where it referenced " Shoulder Step" ..normal wear???? .. I went to the 17.5 G114's..
Old 09-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Update on new discs...

Since having my disc brakes installed , I have made a 350 mile round trip to and from Delaware ...and traveled one way (275 miles) down to Richmond VA...

The brake rotors were checked several times during the trips and each time they were all within 4/5 degrees of each other... And the max was about 117 degrees with the normal about 105/107 degrees...

I have no idea if those numbers are good , or not but I will say that they preformed flawlessly !!

It is such a great feeling knowing that I can stop when and where I want to👌👌
Old 09-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

Thanks Joe, You have no idea how great it makes me feel to be able to turn a skeptic into a believer. Everyone questions the value in some form or another until they experience the difference.
While technically, I am retired, what I do gives me so much enjoyment, I can't imagine the day when I am no longer able to do it.

Ron & Margaret
Old 09-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
Thanks Joe, You have no idea how great it makes me feel to be able to turn a skeptic into a believer. Everyone questions the value in some form or another until they experience the difference.
While technically, I am retired, what I do gives me so much enjoyment, I can't imagine the day when I am no longer able to do it.
....Well, that settles it. You are OFFICIALLY one of the hardest working retirees I've ever met! How in the world do you do it????
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #11

I am not a golfer.

Ron & Margaret
Old 09-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Ron
We have put in 2300 miles on this trip. 1000 of which is mountain highways and these brakes are great. For everyone with electric brakes these Titan brakes are the best investment you could make.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post

Do you know if going with the MORRyde IS added to the weight of your RV or was it a wash?
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #14

When they weighed my before and after on my last Redwood, as I recall it was about a wash.

Ron & Margaret
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
Site Team

Like Ron said, I think there may have been a difference of 50-60 lbs. Heavier, but negligible. My coach originally had 7k axles, when we did the IS I went to 8k.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #16

Cool. After reading just about everything on this blog. It appears the axles, brakes and tires are the items to spend money on. So with a new 38GK, what I am reading, I should do the following: G114 H Tires, Morryde IS, Disk Brakes.

The other item is installing surge protection, (Progressive HW50C, 50 Amp)

What other items should I address that will save me headaches in the future.

Thanks,
Scott
2015 38GK
2015 Denali Dually
Old 09-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Scott ~ as you have time and are sitting around with a beer and nothing to do ~ I would pop the fuse/breaker panel forward (unhook the electric and pull a battery cable first) and make sure all the connections are tight. Let's just say that electricity isn't an Amish forte ......

If you have PEX crimpers (you did put together a basic PEX fittings kit, right), when you have the basement wall down for anything, recrimp all the clamps you can get to. There's probably more, but these two come to mind.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Scott ~ as you have time and are sitting around with a beer and nothing to do ~ I would pop the fuse/breaker panel forward (unhook the electric and pull a battery cable first) and make sure all the connections are tight. Let's just say that electricity isn't an Amish forte ......

If you have PEX crimpers (you did put together a basic PEX fittings kit, right), when you have the basement wall down for anything, recrimp all the clamps you can get to. There's probably more, but these two come to mind.
X2! with emphasis! Save yourself tons of headaches later. Just over the weekend I had the basement wall down and just me touching hoses, I created 2 more leaks in the reinforced vinyl tubing hoses and had to tighten the crimp.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:03 AM   #19

Thanks for that. I'll be bringing the Redwood home in a week or so. Over the winter I'll be fixing it up. A couple more years, should be living in it. As an engineer I can't wait to tear into it.
Scott
2015 38GK
2015 Denali Dually
Old 09-11-2015, 04:15 AM   #20

I will clarify - I've had Keystone in the past and I don't think they even tried- This redwood is put together far better. I've found few issues.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote