Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #41

I like our dually, yes sometimes it's a PITA like in the French quarters in New Orleans, by the way DO NOT TAKE A DUALLY THERE, but that's all we have had to drive for over 10 years & I guess we've just gotten use to it. If towing a 36 or larger RW I think it's a must have.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #42

55-60? That would never have done for Dave. He used to tow with "the beast" at 85mph...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
55-60? That would never have done for Dave. He used to tow with "the beast" at 85mph...
I've had to slow down now and plan more days for travel. It's been an adjustment.......

At least now Ginny can work while we're on the road so getting somewhere as quick as possible so we can meet a print deadline isn't the case anymore.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
One too many zeros
Nope Brad he's going one o better
Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 AM   #45

Quote:
One too many zeros
That extra zero means 10 times better!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:50 AM   #46

During our stay at Milton FL, this past weekend, I was out walking the puppy dog between rains and saw a F250 Truck with a bumper sticker that said "When I Grow Up, I want to be a Dually"
Was going to get a picture but it started raining again and I did not get back over there.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
That extra zero means 10 times better!
haahaha, ya right..... more like an extra 0 on the deficit
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #48

Quote:
haahaha, ya right..... more like an extra 0 on the deficit
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #49

I've been able to easily park my CC long bed DRW in the French Quarter. The lot along the levy has plenty of room. That said, driving and parking in Charleston, SC and Bisbee,AZ wasn't fun at all. Took a van tour of Charleston as we passed streets we were on, I mention to friends that we had driven on as we passed them (no Redwood behind us), and the van driver didn't believe it. Did have to back up making some of the corners though.

That said, in the 18 months we have half-timed, I have driven nearly 15K miles, and always felt confident in the DRW. My pin weight would have put a SRW on the edge of maximum GVWR, so I like having the added security. I too have to look and see if my Redwood is behind me as I tow as I can't feel it.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
I've been able to easily park my CC long bed DRW in the French Quarter. The lot along the levy has plenty of room. That said, driving and parking in Charleston, SC and Bisbee,AZ wasn't fun at all. Took a van tour of Charleston as we passed streets we were on, I mention to friends that we had driven on as we passed them (no Redwood behind us), and the van driver didn't believe it. Did have to back up making some of the corners though.

That said, in the 18 months we have half-timed, I have driven nearly 15K miles, and always felt confident in the DRW. My pin weight would have put a SRW on the edge of maximum GVWR, so I like having the added security. I too have to look and see if my Redwood is behind me as I tow as I can't feel it.
That is a good point," always felt confident in the DRW." Although a lot of the talk here is about the size of the DRW, and the problems with getting around in it. The confidence and safety of my DRW is well worth the inconvenience of parking it. As an example of this, shortly after getting my DRW on a snowy day a guy pull in from of me and I hit the brakes, turned the wheel and waited to hit this car. My wife was with me and I was worried that she would be panicky. Some how we missed each other by inches. I pull over and checked on my wife; she was fine, and said that she wasn't worried because we were in the DRW.
I see many people with class A's pulling these little tiny cars. I know they pull these little cars to save on weight, but I would hate to be in one of these during an accident.
There is advantages and disadvantages to all vehicles out there, for me, I am sticking to my DRW truck happily pulling my RW.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:29 AM   #51

For us the DRW is the only safe way to pull a trailer of this size and truth of the matter is nothing else compares to it. A little uncomfortable in towns like Asheville, N. C. (but after two visits to that town, that will do me for a lifetime) As for the long beds I owned two F-350's before they came out with the short bed DRW in 2000 and have never looked back since owing a short bed truck, for me it has everything to do with the appearance of the truck, I just like the look of a short bed and have never had any issue with turning radius. That's why they make different trucks for all of us.....just sayin!
slideone is offline   Reply With Quote