Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfarrington View Post
Well, Dave & Ginny, I was probably listed as a different user last year on the old site. In any case it's nice to know you start your replies by questioning the poster's honesty. I ask for opinions because I was interested and you shouldn't be so defensive when yours is not acted upon.
Since the rules of the forum says one identity per user, I guess you should have signed in under your original name especially since you referenced a previous post
Old 10-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #22

My Thought is if you knew that most of use a DRW truck to pull our RW's. Were you looking for info or trying to start a argument. If a 250 works for you then use a F250 but please don't be the one in front of me on a windy stretch in WY when I go flying by. Enjoy the ride
Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #23

It's like seatbelts... To say you don't wear them because you have never had a problem before is NOT the way to think about it. As I have said before, the answer is printed clearly on your truck. If your trailer is under the limit, go for it. If not, then you are being irresponsible. Sorry, but that's all there is to it. It doesn't say "unless you think it would be ok". Sudden stops, turns, swerves, unexpected whoop-di-dos in the road, bridge expansion joints, all put a jolt of huge stress on your weakest link, which is going to be your truck. (Notice all the hubcaps, and junk and parts lying by the side of the road by these hazards?) Do a google search for photos of people who had too much trailer and lost their bet... Ok, that's all for me gang. So much happens that we cannot prevent, not a good idea to invite disaster by loading the odds against you, and to tell you the truth, if your lightweight truck hauling a huge trailer it's underrated for takes out my family on the freeway, I'll be coming for you and all you own and the limits of your insurance.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #24
Site Team

Ok Theresa, don't sugar coat it ! LOL

Tracy says never mess with a woman in the midst of two of her kids getting married.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #25

LOL Vaughan...well, usually I hold back, you know me. Yes, I'm probably a little ...edgy.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:07 AM   #26

Wowzers - we'll just let the women handle this technical tow stuff and I'll just grab a lawn chair
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfarrington View Post
Well, Dave & Ginny, I was probably listed as a different user last year on the old site. In any case it's nice to know you start your replies by questioning the poster's honesty. I ask for opinions because I was interested and you shouldn't be so defensive when yours is not acted upon.
You kind of opened the post with a "told you so" attitude, so not sure what else you expected - certainly not a warm "welcome back". Tow with what you want - really, its your game.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #28

I pull with 3/4 dmax and got no problems im also pushing 580hp would I get a dually probably yes it would make it for a safer and much steadier trip 😀 And I wouldn't mod my truck besides a delete kit 😎😎 it's all about what is better to pull a 100k unit behind you and not worry about a thing.
I am not a ford guy and stick with Chevy 4ever but I did have my trailer pulled by f350 dually with air bags and that truck is a sturdy power house.
If I ever exchange my truck for something else I would for sure go with 3500 Denali dually like Shane woods !
Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #29

I have to jump in here. Before our RW we had a 1996 Newmar 5th wheel and I was towing it with a 3/4 Dodge V10. It towed OK but at times it felt like to me it was making the truck unstable. We then purchased a 2006 Ford dually the first time out with the Newmar behind it I had to look in the mirror to make sure it was still there because it so stable. We now have a 38GK and it is solid as a rock going down the highway. I plan on buying a new truck in the near future and it will for sure be a 3500 DRW.
Marty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty51 View Post
I plan on buying a new truck in the near future and it will for sure be a 3500 DRW.
One too many zeros
Old 10-26-2015, 03:16 AM   #31

I had three class A's(gasser) before my RW. It often was a white knuckler driving these with wind and trucks passing us. Driving my RW with my dually is such a pleasure, so easy. I have never driven a 5th wheel with a SRW truck, so I cannot comment on the difference between a SRW and a DRW. I just know from my experience, I love my DRW. Also, the difference in price was minimal between the SRW and DRW.
Yes, owning a DRW may have some parking issues, but I have found that to be a minor problem.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #32

Can you have too much truck? I don't see many here trading their duallies for SRW. The extra capacity is well worth it. Also, why do people go through all the short bed inconvenience?? Mystery...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #33

Yep them duallies can be a pain to park but parking in the back of the lot and walking a little further won't hurt us well at least me. LOL
Marty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #34

My testimonial for a DRW - I HATE IT!

Nice truck, but it has a short life with me. It is a great platform for towing=, just like an aircraft carrier is great for landing an airplane at sea, but that's the end of the story. Once unhooked, this wide ass thing is a true handicap.

Wife and I were talking about travel when we retire, and after a trip to Omaha last week and having to drive that DRW into Omaha and park downtown in a parking garage at two different locations, I realize it is not going to work for me as I get older. I lucked out in finding a place to park it in a garage designed for compact cars, and it was so frigging big it hit the barricade before the drivers window reached the attendant window, so I had to back up people waiting so I could prepay and get through. Leaving, there was virtually no clearances on the tire sidewalls or the fenders to the brick building. I won't try that again.

Not only is the ride bad (hops like a rabbit most of the time) I can only park at the airport on Mondays, when I know there will be room, and sorry folks, but in Denver, there are no "back lots" to cram this thing on a busy day when even the Costco parking lot is full. The car wash wants $90 to hand wash it because it doesn't fit, so most of the time it's dirty, or it just sits in the garage all winter and I have to drive a third car, and a DRW takes up a good chunk of the garage.

SRW crew cab short bed was the most versatile towing machine I ever owned and it was a mistake for me to jump to a trailer that required a DRW. I might as well have just gone for the Class A because once I got to a DRW I lost any advantage of having a tow vehicle to drive around. I would much rather have a toad behind.

The wife and I discussed last night and when we retire this DRW is gone - maybe a Class A and a Jeep, or maybe even a Marriott and a Mazarati

Sorry for the rant but I hear all this dually - dually - dually, and maybe I will be the first to stand up and say as an owner, don't get it unless you absolutely have no other alternative.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #35

Brad that must be the reason they make different types of RVs. I love driving our Dually. Yes sometimes it can be a PITA parking, but I wouldn't tow anything with anything less.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #36

Its a love hate relationship. Love the DRW when pulling the RW. Hate driving it in tight places when not pulling. But I Chose the stability and security when pulling over a little PITA when not hooked up. But that is why we have choices
Old 10-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #37

And this is why I am researching how I can add a carrier for a motorcycle. If I can safely carry 1000 lbs off the RW bumper life would be better. I am wondering if any body has done this. A 800lb Bike and carrier. This would be one of the reasons I would like to switch to the Mor/Ryde 8K IS axles.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #38

It's a necessary evil for now, as I started out with a SRW towing the Redwood home and it failed miserably at the scales.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #39

Brad, I have to agree with you on the DRW. Don't have one, never have. It's just not for us. Even with the SRW longbed it gets difficult at times to park, I can't imagine trying to park in some places such as parking garages. I'm not knocking those that choose to go with a DRW and they are perfectly justified with what they are hauling around. That is why we went with the 31SL. I pulled it home with a 3/4 ton Dodge and it pulled fine but was overweight with the Redwood, so after much research the Ford F350 longbed fit us perfectly. Before I purchasea larger fifth wheel requiring a DRW, I would probably stick with a shorter lighter model. I feel very comfortable towing the Redwood at 55 - 60 mph on the interstate and feel confident I can get into most RV parks. It's just a matter of safety and preference for each one of us. I took all that into consideration, and for us the 31SL and the F350 SRW fit the bill and the price point we were determined to stay with.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #40
Site Team

As most of you know, I spent a small fortune on the suspension of my F350 and even though I loved (and miss) the truck, I just couldn't get the ride right for Ginny. We're just getting back from a business trip and all the way back she's been typing and I didn't hear her swear once as I went over bumps. At one point she did say.....that would have been rough with the "Beast"....as we hit some pretty big bumps.