Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

End of an Era

We just traded our 2006 Silverado 3500 LT 4x4 DRW CC Duramax Alison for a similar 2013 Silverado LTZ. The 2006 was purchased in 2011 when we started our full time adventure and had 90,000 miles. It had 246,000 miles when traded and was still in good condition. Our new truck has 51,000 miles and we hope it will give us the level of comfort and service as the 2006. i'm sure our 2012 36RE will go up and down the highways and byways with ease.
Mr Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #2

I traded an '05 GMC dually for a '13 GMC & the power & mileage were noticeably different. We think the seats in the '05 were more comfortable, but everything else was a huge improvement.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:08 AM   #3

full timer

I see Danny and Linda are full timers since 2008 Hey guys this Tom from Maryland. My wife and I just purchased a 2014 38 RE. In the shop right now getting some work done . Planning to go Full time next April, sell the house and all the stuff in it. Any comments are going full time?? WE have been RVing for 20 years but now retiring we can hit the road. We are going on a trip this week to West Virginia for a week then home. Various trips plan this year but next year is the big change. We financially set (OK) for now but what are your thoughts on "Work Camper" Could always use the extra cash, right!! This is our first Redwood and can't wait to get out this week and play for awhile.
So let me know you're thoughts of our plans. I guess your from Texas, great place to be. I am a retired Truck Driver with 15 years OTR Truckin so our rig is nothing new to me but now it's fun to drive and not work.
tomlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

Been fulltiming for 9 years & it's a great adventure & still going!!
As for workamping we've done it once this past winter season from mid Sept to mid April & there was no pay (which is the case for most workamper positions) only site & electricity for, in our case, 16-20 hours work, it was a not bad deal & not hard work. Some jobs are different & some are just that "jobs", you have to do your homework & be selective on what you want/will do at any of them, if you don't want to clean toilets tell them up front "I don't do toilets".
We haven't regretted one minute of our decision & would highly recommend it to anyone, but it's not for everyone, some must have a home to go back to.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

End of Era / work camper

Hi Danny and Linda

Thanks for the reply. I have worked as a work camper in 2015 in Maine for the summer. My wife was still working at the time so she did not work-camp then. I did get paid plus my site, it was okay job but hard work doing maintenance in the park. Anyhow now we are going to retire "Full time" we both could travel and maybe find a place like you guys did work for the site. Lucky for us we have a Thousand Trails membership and can stay all over three weeks at a time no fee except the yearly dues. Also we are retired military so forts and bases have Fam-Camps on base which are really nice at a very low rate.(around $20.00 per night) for full hook up. So my thought was like if we went out west maybe Yellowstone or place like that and work-camp that might be okay. Other then that we are going to travel America and try to enjoy life. We'll have our Redwood back this week from the shop and go to West Virginia for our first trip with the new Redwood. By the way, if you ever get a chance to visit Maine it is really great. Next year we are going there for 2 months as we can stay in Wells, Maine and Bar Harbor Maine three weeks at a time no fee. Our dues for the membership is $600. per year but we get our monies worth by using the system. We are also a member of "SMART" Special Military Active Recreational Travelers. A retired military group of folks that are great to be around. The Wagon Master of each group sets up the rally's we attend. Look them up on line and you'll see. So thanks for the input and talked at you guys again

Tom & Ginny
Lexington Park, Maryland
Redwood 38 RE
Dodge 3500 Laramie - 6.7 Cummins
tomlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #6

Tom & Ginny,
Hope you enjoy your upcoming adventures!
We aren't military, but have stayed at the Fam Camp in Tacoma Wash as our sons stationed there in the Air Force, what a beautiful park.
This is a big beautiful country & lots to see & we've seen a good bit of it & have hardly scratched the surface.
Happy trails & safe travels, never know when we may run into one another.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

End of an Era

Tom & Ginny
My wife, Ellen and I sold our house in North Carolina and hit the road in April 2011. No regrets and haven't looked back since. We have Workamped at a high end gift store in West Yellowstone for 7 summers. Working 3 1/2 days a week we get a FHU site, pay for all hours, bonus and other perks. We have also managed a Hickory Farms store in Mesa, AZ, a Christmas tree lot in Texas, and Amazon four times. We don't ever want another "manager" position. Don't need the hassle and headaches dealing with employees.
We spend Jan. - April in Florida just a few miles from our daughter and her family soaking up the sun and enjoying a few cold beverages. Our 2018 journey takes us to Skagway, Alaska to work in a gift shop there. Can't wait for the trip up.
Mr Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #8

Danny, this is what I saw on the ad banner at the bottom - of my screen this morning -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snip_20170930092803.jpg (52.5 KB, 17 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #9

That's an odd coincidence, because as soon as we get it repaired we're going to sell it or trade for something smaller to just travel in the summers, but I didn't post that.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #10

Danny, it's that stupid ad and article banner generator the forum site uses - it takes headlines off threads, and then grabs a picture out of it, even if it's totally irrelevant because it doesn't know better.

You may not get them on your screen, or if you use a tablet or phone, but it comes up with some pretty silly ones. Yours just happened to grab "end of era" then grabbed your pic. Here are a few more where the pic is irrelevant to the ad. I like the one about the convection oven - it makes it seem like you are walking by and you can hear the guy yelling in there about his oven
Attached Images
File Type: png snip_20170930114840.png (208.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png snip_20170930115059.png (604.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png snip_20170930115235.png (205.6 KB, 8 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote