Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

Changing oil in tow vehicle???

I know many of you do your own routine maintenance on both your Redwood and tow vehicles but some don't for a variety of reasons.

For those of you who choose NOT to service your truck, specifically diesel and especially those of you who are full timers and seldom if ever take your truck to the dealer you purchased it from...where do you get your truck serviced?

For those still under warranty, do you take the truck to a dealer for routine service, to a generic oil change depot such as Jiffy Lube or to a specialized service facility specializing in diesel?

And those of you who are out of warrantee, where do you take yours?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #2

J have ours done since we are full time. Also as I've got older have found it is easier to pay someone to do it. If we are in an area we are familiar with, we use a service we have used before. If we aren't we will ask the advice of someone who has had service done before or use a well known service.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #3

My truck is still under warranty so I prefer to take it to a Ford Dealer for any work. This way it gets documented. I'm not beyond changing my own oil but they tell you to save receipts to prove the type of oil you use and where it was purchased. It costs a little more to have the dealer do it but if something happens down the line everything will be documented.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
lwg

Up until we Fulltimed I always did all my own maintenance. However now I just take it to the Ford dealer as they are everywhere. They are pretty competitive when it comes to oil change pricing and when it comes to Diesel engines I tend to not trust the quick change places.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:03 AM   #5
Site Team

I'm not a full timer so I don't fit into your question but I would like to offer a suggestion. If you go on line you can buy the Ford fuel filters that the dealerships charge an arm and leg for. I recommend everybody carrying one set with them in case of an emergency (getting bad fuel). I can change them now in about 20 minutes and most of this time is spent waiting for the fuel to drain. I believe it's a 10 millimeter socket required for under the hood and a 22 millimeter for the main filter housing.

They can be bought for around $45 on the internet and are easy to change. Simply go on youtube and watch the videos.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
lwg

Dave that's actually good advice given how sensitive the late model fuel systems are to contaminants.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #7

I always carry a spare Fuel Filter, ya never know when you will need it.
I also used to do my own service but the older I get and as much as we travel we use the local oil change service center when we need to.
We try and plan our service needs when are at our home base and people I know and trust.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #8

My diesels have always gone back to Ford. The other Fords go to a Goodyear service center we have used for over a decade.

However, both Ford and Goodyear are starting to push these 3 levels of service based on mileage increments' that can set you back nearly $1,000 for the premium service if you let them sell it to you. Most if it goes well beyond any recommended service by Ford.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #9

A 1 1/4" or 32mm socket is used for the Ford 6.7L primary filter. Model year 2011 uses a 10mm socket for the secondary filter band clamp. The band clamp was deleted on subsequent model years and replaced by a twist lock secondary filter.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #10

I've found the Ford dealers with the "quick change" facilities do a good job on our truck when we are on the road. Last year in Yuma they confirmed some leaking from the rear diff seal and a repair was scheduled (pinion seal replaced and the rear cover was removed and re-sealed, all under warranty). At home, I go to my local mechanic who does a great job and he does the annual safety inspection (yellow sticker) required for trucks in our province above 10,000 lb. GVWR.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Site Team

I have had my oil changed at the selling dealer when in town. On the road, at the nearest Ford dealer. In the past I changed my own oil but tired of getting rid of the old oil and the cost is not that much higher. Also like that the dealer will check for other maintenance items.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
Site Team

I spent a lot of years in the car business, most of it as either a Parts or Service Mgr. All of my vehicles get serviced at the dealer. For normal servicing, at least as far as Ford, it's reasonable. I keep the coupons and my local dealer does the Diesel oil change, tire rotation and lube service for $99.95. The other thing is that if you have a history with the dealer for service, the Manager has quite a bit of leeway in authorizing something that may be a bit out of warranty time or mileage. They also tend to catch something while it's there as was mentioned above.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I spent a lot of years in the car business, most of it as either a Parts or Service Mgr. All of my vehicles get serviced at the dealer. For normal servicing, at least as far as Ford, it's reasonable. I keep the coupons and my local dealer does the Diesel oil change, tire rotation and lube service for $99.95. The other thing is that if you have a history with the dealer for service, the Manager has quite a bit of leeway in authorizing something that may be a bit out of warranty time or mileage. They also tend to catch something while it's there as was mentioned above.
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of going back to the same dealer, my first oil change was in Waynesville NC, my next in Sarasota FL, the next in Tampa FL, next week will be in Branson MO. Because the truck is still under warranty I will continue to take it to Ford dealers, I may continue to do so after warranty but if I can find a reliable and less expensive option I will make the choice to go outside the Ford dealers.