Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Can I tow a Jeep behind my 38RD?

OK, all, it's time for you to break my heart. I have a sad, sick compulsion to buy a Jeep Wrangler 2 door to tow behind my RW 38RD. My '17 Dodge 3500 4X4 w/4:10 rear is rated for 38,000 tow capacity, and our combined weight right now is under 27,000, so I'm not worried about the 4000 pound weight of a loaded Jeep. I figure on only towing through the wide open spaces, and letting my wife drive the jeep to scout things out when we are in cities or on tight, windy roads.

Unfortunately, the tow hitch on our RW is only rated for 3000 lbs, and has a nifty little warning on it about not modifying the hitch or else. What are the ramifications of upgrading to a heavier duty hitch, aside from voiding the warranty?
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

Being over length for most states (seems to average max 65 feet)
and possible too much pull on the rear lever of your overhang behind your axles...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
OK, all, it's tim JNe for you to break my heart. I have a sad, sick compulsion to buy a Jeep Wrangler 2 door to tow behind my RW 38RD. My '17 Dodge 3500 4X4 w/4:10 rear is rated for 38,000 tow capacity, and our combined weight right now is under 27,000, so I'm not worried about the 4000 pound weight of a loaded Jeep. I figure on only towing through the wide open spaces, and letting my wife drive the jeep to scout things out when we are in cities or on tight, windy roads.

Unfortunately, the tow hitch on our RW is only rated for 3000 lbs, and has a nifty little warning on it about not modifying the hitch or else. What are the ramifications of upgrading to a heavier duty hitch, aside from voiding the warranty?
I don't know the particulars; however, at the Redwood Rally two years ago, we met a couple who were towing a Jeep Wrangler behind their Redwood. They were full-timers and travelled extensively.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:53 AM   #4

I believe there are three on here that tow behind their RW and they should reply soon. Atom Ant also is a previous owner and I believe he towed one behind his. As for myself....I towed a Jeep behind our MH for about 10 years but is scares me a little to much to tow behind the RW due to the length. Guess I am just getting older.

Steve
Old 07-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

I towed a TJ (97 Wrangler) behind our Redwood for just a little while before we traded. Eventually I would have strengthened the hitch using Titan Guy's approach when he did it (additional gussets at the hitch and where it attaches to the frame). Also I was planning to strengthen the spring hangers or install the X-Factor by Moryde because the side pull in town when turning is pretty tough on those cheesy hangers. We did that to our last fiver when pulling a boat after the spring hangers bent.

It actually towed nice. I installed a camera so I could watch it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep tow 3.jpg (235.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep tow 1.jpg (143.7 KB, 13 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 AM   #6

We are one that tows a Jeep

We were at the Rally 2 years ago--towing our Jeep. We have been towing a jeep behind our 5th wheels for over 10+ years.

Every time this comes up, I start my response carefully. This is a controversial topics on forums. We currently tow our Jeep Wrangler behind our 38RL. We love having the jeep with us. I can't imagine not having it at this point. We are able to go scout sites in a campground and we have done Great 4-wheeling across the country. As we drive around the country, we are convinced that one of us driving and the other navigating and helping watch traffic is much safer than 2 different vehicles with both of us lost.

Like Brad, we also installed a back up camera... so we can see that it is still back there. Our mileage is the same with it or without it. We have been in 44 states in the last 4 years and pulled in all of them. We have talked with law enforcement and DOT officials. We have been told, repeatedly, that if we are driving safely; most police don't care. However, if we are ever in an accident... we will be the one that everyone is going to blame. It is not as if we can hide this thing, we pass police and they pass us.

There is no question we are past the length limit in many states. Some states do not allow "triple towing". We were with another couple in a Solitude 5th wheel towing their Smart car. Twice they were chased down on the New York turnpike and told to unhook. EVERY time we go through turnpike, we tell them we have a jeep back there. We pay for it. Never once have been been told to unhook.

If we were ever stopped and told to unhook, we would and then Lisa would drive Jeep. It would be an easy unhook. (Takes about 5 minutes to hook and unhook) If they gave us a ticket, we would pay it, what we save in gas and stress would be worth it for us.

Feel free to ask any questions.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 AM   #7

I forgot to attach the photo.

RW full length picture (4).jpg

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #8
Site Team

I have our 2016 Focus set up to tow behind the RL. Haven't yet, but will be in October when we go south. Set up the same as behind a gas motorhome. Blue Or baseplate and tow are and a SMI brake system.

Not expecting any issues at all.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Vaughn you think that new hitch will handle the weight LOL
Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
Site Team

LOL, yeah Shane, I think I'll be fine. Have run everything over CAT Scale and the whole mess should be about 31k. Truck is good for 33,100 GCWR according to Ford.
Will be a little long though ..... somewhere around 71'
Old 07-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #11

That's not bad on length Vaughan, I thought it would be more. We were 76' with the boat on our smaller Montana. CO is 70 I believe, so are 75, and many are 65 legal limits.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Brad ~ that figure is an educated guess right now. I've added up all the lengths but haven't laid a tape measure down yet after actually hooked up (don't really want to, then I can claim true "I don't know how long it is" answer ).
Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #13

hahahaha- that's how I did the Jeep when we had it behind the Redwood. I didn't want to know. I myself was more focused on weight than length.

The part that killed me on the boat was tongue length beyond the bow, and the outdrive raised when on the trailer. It turned a 21' boat into a 26' quick.

I actually am at 69.5' now with the boat on the MH, so technically not legal in the 65' states, and within 6" of CO law.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Site Team

I figure the other thing that will help me is that by that point (the fall) I'll have South Dakota tags on everything and anywhere here east of the Mississippi they won't have any idea whether I'm legal at "home" or not.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #15

True, but reciprocity doesn't apply to length or number of vehicles in tow. Technically you would have to comply with the state you are driving through.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #16
Site Team

Right, but I'm figuring if I play dumb, I'll get off with a talking to and have to drive it out .
Old 07-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #17

There you go. At least its a car and you can drive it separate. I was always afraid they would make me drop the boat on the side of the road. Never happened, never even got pulled over.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #18

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your input, and excuse me for being so slow to respond. We've had a whole lot going on in the past week or so. The biggest news is that my wife will need a total knee replacement, which is scheduled for the end of September. That and the lengthy rehab that follows will pretty much eat up the rest of this year, I reckon. A couple of short trips are probably all we can manage before she goes in for surgery.

I'm still enamored of the idea of pulling a Jeep, but hadn't considered things like the lateral forces on the frame when turning corners. I'll have plenty of time to make the necessary upgrades to the frame, brakes, and hitch before I go shopping for a toad, though. We first have to make the commitment to sell our home of forty years and all of our belongings so we can go full-time. That commitment has been harder to make than I thought it would be. I still haven't been able to let ANYTHING go yet, even though I have solid offers on a couple of old cars and some of my guns. I'm hoping that it will get easier after I let the first few things go!
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
There you go. At least its a car and you can drive it separate. I was always afraid they would make me drop the boat on the side of the road. Never happened, never even got pulled over.
My in- laws traveled with friends that had to do just that, dropped the boat off on the side of the road, my in-laws sat with it til they got back from crossing into the next state & coming back for the boat, fortunately they were only 20-30 miles from being out that state ( I can't remember what state). Cost them a good chunk of the day!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
We first have to make the commitment to sell our home of forty years and all of our belongings so we can go full-time.
40 years in the same house! Wow that would be hard! I couldn't do it.. I don't think I could ever go full time.