Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Auxilliary fuel tank

We're considering purchasing an auxilliary fuel tank for our new 3500 Dodge Ram pickup and we're wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendations for us.
Full-timers as of 10 a.m. Sept. 15th
Currently living in CT soon to be residence of FL
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a small one made by "American Tank" that fits below my rolling aluminum bed cover (35 gallon). The reason I went with this type instead of the larger replacement tanks is because I wanted to take it from truck to truck. So far I've had the same tank in 2 trucks. I have a switch on my dash that switches the fuel feed and at the same time the fuel gauge reads both tanks.

There are 2 different type of tanks made. One is a transfer tank, where you basically use it as a large gas can, transferring the diesel to your main tank. Or you can get one like mine that is an actual fuel tank, where the fuel fed straight to the engine. I'm not sure which is best, but mine has served me well so far.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Site Team

The reason we went to an addition fuel tank is because I got tired of waiting in line at the truck stops. Now I carry about 71 gallons of fuel which means I can drive all day (500-600 miles) without having to worry about the lines at the pumps.

I usually set up the trailer and then while Ginny is cooking, I'll go find fuel.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

Thanks, now I understand how they work. Just went to American Tanks and Camping Worlds Webb sites. Not sure if CWs are of the same quality but they have good reviews. So far this forum has been a great resource. Really appreciate everyone's help.
Full-timers as of 10 a.m. Sept. 15th
Currently living in CT soon to be residence of FL
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #5

There are also larger stock fuel replacements, remove stock tank & replace it with up to 65 gal tank(I think), all stock plumbing transfers to new tank, I believe they are Titan Tanks,
the advantage is not taking up space in truck bed & no switches or valves. I looked into this option sometime back, but $$ prevented it at the time, they are a bit pricey.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
Site Team

My tank was about the same price as the "Titan" (about $1100) after taxes and shipping.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #7

Research before you jump --- the titans have a known issue in that the intake on the top is in an 'indention' and ANY water may get by the hard to seal seal (from all reports on Ford-trucks.com)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Research before you jump --- the titans have a known issue in that the intake on the top is in an 'indention' and ANY water may get by the hard to seal seal (from all reports on Ford-trucks.com)

WOW.... Great information! I didn't like the idea of paying that much and not being able to transfer it to the next truck.

My tank has been pretty fool proof so far.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #9

I'm not sure what brand my tank is, but it seems to work fine. It sits upright behind the cab, and is plumbed directly into the neck of the main tank. It has a shutoff valve in the line. I use off the main tank until it gets down to about a quarter or so, open the valve and continue down the road. Read that if the fuel gauge on the Chevy stays on full to long, it will go to empty, so keep valve until tank is down enough to prevent this from happening. Not a fancy setup, but one of the cheaper ones. They also have tanks that fit in the bet where the bottom part is for fuel and the top is a storage box. Go online and do a lot of research, there are a lot of options out there depending on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #10

The reason I researched Titan-like tanks is I have toolbox across front of bed & didn't want one any smaller, too much crap.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame View Post
I'm not sure what brand my tank is, but it seems to work fine. It sits upright behind the cab, and is plumbed directly into the neck of the main tank. It has a shutoff valve in the line. I use off the main tank until it gets down to about a quarter or so, open the valve and continue down the road. Read that if the fuel gauge on the Chevy stays on full to long, it will go to empty, so keep valve until tank is down enough to prevent this from happening. Not a fancy setup, but one of the cheaper ones. They also have tanks that fit in the bet where the bottom part is for fuel and the top is a storage box. Go online and do a lot of research, there are a lot of options out there depending on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Sounds like the setup that I have. My 60 gallon tank is made by RDS that I purchased at Northern Tool. http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-auxiliary.html

I have a Ford and leave my valve open whenever traveling and haven't experience anykind of issue with the gauge being off.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #12

I have a simple 35 gal. tank/toolbox combo. I need all the extra room I can get so I opted to get a fairly good sizr toolbox. I figure that 70+ gal of fuel will get me to a point where I need a rest anyway. My tank doesn't have the option to automatically fill my main tank so it was relatively inexpensive. These tanks can be costly depending upon the bells and whistles you're looking to have.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #13

I have a 75 gal tank/toolbox from Tractor Supply with transfer pump I think it was about $ 900. I can switch it from pickup to pickup in about an hour. Also had a tank from Transfer Flow in a past rig - Neat but pricey- all automatic.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:57 AM   #14
Dan

I have the replacement titan tank as we have a truck camper that we use regularly. This way we have a clear bed, just pop out the Reese Elite hitch and drop in the camper and off we go

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 AM   #15

Typically we don't drive more than 3-5 hours per travel days, so don't need to carry that much fuel, not in a rush to get anywhere.

I'm looking forward to the day........
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #16

I would like to get a transfer tank that is concealed under a retractable bed cover - someday. I hesitate to get either until I make sure they fit the 2015 Fords, which is also someday.

For now I carry a 5 gal jerry can.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Typically we don't drive more than 3-5 hours per travel days, so don't need to carry that much fuel, not in a rush to get anywhere.

I'm looking forward to the day........

Sorry....I guess I clicked the wrong button on this one
Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #18

RDS has many different size tanks or they will build one to your specs. http://www.rdsaluminum.com/
andoverrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
lwg

I replaced the factory tank with a Transfer Flow tank. Factory tank is 26 gals in the short bed which is really bad when towing. Transfer Flow is 50 gallons. While I may never recoup the costs with buying cheaper fuel in bulk, not having to find somewhere to pull the rig in and possibly wait 30 mins behind a semi is more than worth it. I fill up on my terms now.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #20

I hear you on the 26 gallon, used to have that issue with my last two Ford SB's. I felt like I was continuously on the hunt for fuel like a Mad Max movie

On the last SB, I couldn't have handled any additional weight from fuel, so an auxiliary tank was out of the question.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote