Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Anyone try Sumosprings instead of air bags

Hi,
I recently upgraded to a ‘19 GMC 3500 Dually from a ‘11 Ford F350 SWR w/ Air bags. My ‘11 sagged quite a bit under the load of the Redwood so i added air bags to handle sag and improve ride as much as possible. The ride still was pretty rough so we planned to go to a newer dually. Well the ‘19 handles the weight pretty good and when loaded with the Redwood it just starts to sit on the overload springs so the truck is pretty level. However the ride is not nearly as good as we expected and we are still getting jolted about when towing. The side-to-side motion is much better due to the DRWs but the road imperfections are really harsh. The unloaded ride is much better than the ‘11 F350 surprisingly.
Anyway i need to improve the ride while towing so i was looking at air bags again but also came across Sumosprings. They are described as an airless air bag and a basically the same air cell technology as used in the Comfort-Ride Hitch which many here like. If anyone has tried these i would be interested any opinions good or bad. Thanks much!
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:29 AM   #2

I had the Timbrens, similar to the Sumo Springs, on my '13 GMC & they worked as advertised while towing, but like you I was just off the overloads when unhitched which made for a harsh ride on particularly rough roads. If I were to do it again I go with the air bags to keep it off the overloads all the time..
On my '05 I removed the stops from the frame so the overloads were actually doing nothing, had no sag, truck/rv sat level & much better ride loaded & unloaded. On the '13 I wasn't able to do this due to the boxed frame.
Personally I'd go with the air bags, just my .02 cents!
travelin' texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. In my case i am off the overloads when unloaded so the ride is not bad surprisingly. Based on what i read about the Sumosprings they appear to cushion and absorb the hits more so than either an air bag or Timbrens, which tend to have a large rebound. Of course that is what they claim but I have not found many people who would tried them in actual use. One disadvantage over the air bags is that they are not adjustable but since I don’t have a sag issue the adjustability may not be as important.